U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Rural and Small Town Living
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-14-2011, 08:00 AM

18,994 posts, read 23,858,071 times

Advertisements

Check out some towns in North East PA., north of Scranton. There are some towns that have a very 1950s feel - and look. Honesdale comes to mind. There is also a lot of interest in 50 and 60s cars. Lots of car shows!

I have actually spotted a few ladies with beehive hair styles - probably styled at one of the many hair stylists with name;s like Edith's Beauty Parlor and Curl up and Dye.
It's a very retro area with a slow pace, weekend polka dances, church fairs, bingo, and bars with neon signs for Pabst Blue Ribbon. Hey you never know what you might find on the Jukebox in one of those places!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-14-2011, 10:24 AM

20,681 posts, read 19,635,008 times
You could find some version of it in some of the New England towns, especially in New Hampshire and Maine.

Really old farm houses and small old fashioned towns. Lots of church suppers with baked beans and ham. Country stores where the townspeople (mostly old men) sit on the front porch to pass the time of day. No one has much money, people don't travel, things just stay the same. Sit around and watch the grass grow or watch the paint dry. More like the 50s or maybe the 1850s.
If you want the 60s go to Vermont.

Old 07-14-2011, 05:58 PM

12,083 posts, read 34,584,617 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by in_newengland View Post
You could find some version of it in some of the New England towns, especially in New Hampshire and Maine.

Really old farm houses and small old fashioned towns. Lots of church suppers with baked beans and ham. Country stores where the townspeople (mostly old men) sit on the front porch to pass the time of day. No one has much money, people don't travel, things just stay the same. Sit around and watch the grass grow or watch the paint dry. More like the 50s or maybe the 1850s.
If you want the 60s go to Vermont.
I lived in Maine for close to 20 years. Been to all corners of the State and 90% of the towns for my job. Don't recall EVER seeing a town, no matter how small, that was stuck in the 1950's, let alone the 1850's. Yes there is a sense of community, and while that may be a foreign or odd concept for you to grasp, that doesn't mean they are stuck in the past. There is no place that everyone drives around in vehicles from the 50's or dresses like the 50's on a regular basis.

Yes, some places have old farm houses, just like every other State with a farming background. Some of the oldest farm homes I have seen are in the farming communities of MA. Yes, some churches still have bean suppers, just like I've seen in almost every New England State. The only Country Store I have seen people sitting around whiling away the day, was in Eastern Colorado; not Maine or NH. The rest of your list is just ridiculous to try and pin on an entire State or two.

If I were to bet, I would lay odds that you are from either CT, or MA. Generally anyone with that ridiculous of an idea of Maine and New Hampshire are from one of those two places. Don't let facts or reality ruin your perception though.

Old 07-15-2011, 09:43 AM

20,681 posts, read 19,635,008 times
You're right, I'm from rural Western Ma and we have a few towns that are more like the 50s and 60s too. Try some of the small towns that were isolated when the Quabbin Resevoir was built--they seem lost in time. Not in a good way, to me it's a sad way.

No, there aren't towns where people have to drive around in '50s cars -- that's fantasy. I'm just saying that there are towns that are backwards and keep to the old fashioned ways, usually due to poverty and isolation.

Old 07-15-2011, 09:47 AM

16,162 posts, read 21,102,781 times
Actually the closest I came was the outer richmond district of San Francisco. There are no big box stores and very few Super markets. You shop at Produce Markets and butcher Shops, all of the stores are on the main streets with the banks and post offices etc. You use public transit to get from place to place, like the 50's. I miss not using my car for weeks at a time

Old 07-15-2011, 11:17 AM

12,083 posts, read 34,584,617 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by in_newengland View Post
Try some of the small towns that were isolated when the Quabbin Resevoir was built--they seem lost in time.
Isolated? Oh come on, there isn't anywhere around the Reservoir that is very "isolated." A bit off of an Expressway perhaps, but not isolated by any stretch of the imagination. Maybe back when they first made the Reservior back in the 30's, but not in the last couple of decades that I know of. Before you ask, yes I have been all through that area. My Brother has lived and worked in that area for the last 12 years with the State of Mass involving families in crisis so he sees all the worst that area has to offer... not any worse than he saw in Boston itself.

Old 07-20-2011, 10:43 PM

13,387 posts, read 16,961,289 times
Here in SW Oklahoma, the old side of town here still has "ooold"(delapitated and unused) General Stores and churches with hitching posts still standing.
Like those used in western movies. (store front design)>>>___i----i___

Old 07-20-2011, 10:56 PM

13,387 posts, read 16,961,289 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by L'Artiste View Post
mississippi is def stuck in the 50s.. or 40s..education,diversity,attitudes..
Quote:
you couldnt PAY ME to live there
Oh? I think I could "make you an offer you couldn't refuse". .

Old 08-04-2011, 03:59 AM

227 posts, read 289,692 times
I had to come check this thread out based on the question. Heck, I'd love to see a town like that.

Old 08-04-2011, 09:53 AM

7,329 posts, read 13,548,306 times
First, you need a flux capacitor......
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Rural and Small Town Living