U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Rural and Small Town Living
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-04-2011, 01:46 PM

13,387 posts, read 16,965,025 times

Advertisements

Unless it or the people are self-sufficient,
a town that's literally stuck in time, is usually called a "Ghost Town".

But I've seen very small towns with little to no(city) ulilities and everyone live mostly off what they grow.

In So, Califorinia most small towns are being fought over to annex or redevelope.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-04-2011, 05:59 PM

1,745 posts, read 1,617,143 times
Truthfully it sounds like heaven to me. Slower pace without technology constantly shoved down your throat..siggh

But then I'm one of those people who thinks progress isn't all it's cracked up to be.

Old 08-04-2011, 06:28 PM

4,112 posts, read 3,879,521 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by subject2change View Post
First, you need a flux capacitor......

Old 08-04-2011, 06:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bandon View Post
Truthfully it sounds like heaven to me. Slower pace without technology constantly shoved down your throat..siggh

But then I'm one of those people who thinks progress isn't all it's cracked up to be.
I moved to a small town in Oklahoma from SoCal. It's behind in time, at a much slower pace, much less expensive.
The only bad thing I found is that it's very hard to change your driving habit
after 20 yr's in the fast lane @ freeway speeds, to backroads and 2 lane highways and a default speed limit of 25.

Old 08-05-2011, 01:20 AM

227 posts, read 289,767 times
Actually, I did think of one town later. I don't know what time it is stuck in. I know during one of the town's parades, the 50s came to mind. I know it's stuck in some sort of time warp though - Fall River, Massachusetts, home of Lizzie Borden, complete with Museum/B&B.

Old 08-05-2011, 02:21 AM

2,178 posts, read 4,902,440 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by swiss90 View Post
Is there any town in Usa that maybe stuck in time like 50s,60s ?
Oregon comes really close to being still in the '70's mode. Especially Eugene... in my humble opinion

Old 08-05-2011, 07:34 AM

32,566 posts, read 17,994,668 times
I was thinking some Iniut village, or some Alaskan Native settlement on the North Slope.

You can chew the seal fat AND get 3G during your 9 month winters.

Just kidding. To mirror what mkfarnum says, the small towns across america are about as good as it gets.

But they are a double edged sword. No jobs and lots of gossip.

Old 08-06-2011, 01:17 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by _redbird_ View Post
I was thinking some Iniut village, or some Alaskan Native settlement on the North Slope.

You can chew the seal fat AND get 3G during your 9 month winters.

Just kidding. To mirror what mkfarnum says, the small towns across america are about as good as it gets.

But they are a double edged sword. No jobs and lots of gossip.
Gossip? I'll verify what Redbird said about gossip.

I made a big mistake by letting a women text me.( I never did it before).
In 2 days I knew the talk of the town..
I mean...I learned more in 2 days, than the news paper could print in a week.

Texting in a small town is a new way of hanging over the back fence.

Old 08-06-2011, 08:43 PM

4 posts, read 100,078 times
There has got to be a town somewhere in the U.S. where it feels like the 1950's. Ok so maybe there is cell service there and new cars available. I think what everyone is looking for is a place where you feel like you live like the Anderson's. (If you don't know who they are then you probably aren't interested in a town like this) A place where there are lots of 50's cars, and a diner to hang out at. Maybe plenty of town, school and church activities. Things are done at a slower pace. There's an appreciation for good values and helping others. Less technology and more going outside to breath fresh air. I live in Los Angeles and I am ready to bail to a place like this.

Old 08-07-2011, 12:41 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nurv1 View Post
There has got to be a town somewhere in the U.S. where it feels like the 1950's. Ok so maybe there is cell service there and new cars available. I think what everyone is looking for is a place where you feel like you live like the Anderson's. (If you don't know who they are then you probably aren't interested in a town like this) A place where there are lots of 50's cars, and a diner to hang out at. Maybe plenty of town, school and church activities. Things are done at a slower pace. There's an appreciation for good values and helping others. Less technology and more going outside to breath fresh air. I live in Los Angeles and I am ready to bail to a place like this.
I moved from SoCal to Oklahoma. I found that many "towns" in Ok, have a new side and old side of town. I know that's the norm for most places, but this is different. Speaking for the town I live in: Main st thrived with businesses back in the 60's and before. But then the first highway was built on the out skirts of town. One by one Many of the businesses picked up and moved out along the highway, leaving Main St standing in time.
Today, most of the "old" buildings on Main St are back open by other businesses, but everything is behind in time and technology.
Many of the houses in the "old" neighborhood are old victoian style

Main St Today.

Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Rural and Small Town Living