Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Rural and Small Town Living
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-11-2011, 09:45 AM

13,387 posts, read 19,426,436 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by subject2change View Post
Sort of like a Colonial Williamsburg for the 50's? It would make a good tourist attraction, but then that would ruin the ambiance.
Hey can you retrofit those cool classic cars with air conditioning?
Quote:
If not, you'd have a hard time getting a lot of people to drive one
People like that are the ones with no intrest in classic vehicles or much of anything classic.

BTW, there are "aftermarket" heaters and A/C's that call be made to fit in most any older vehicle.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-11-2011, 11:19 AM

41,479 posts, read 59,771,962 times
I know a few towns in northern new hampshire that are stuck in the 1930's. Mills closed and so has nearly everything else.

Old 08-11-2011, 11:43 AM

13,387 posts, read 19,426,436 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GregW View Post
I know a few towns in northern new hampshire that are stuck in the 1930's. Mills closed and so has nearly everything else.
A ghost town. I love to expore those.

Old 08-15-2011, 05:22 PM

410 posts, read 1,107,704 times
I recently spent some time in south central Colorado (San Luis Valley) and a couple of towns there seem close to fitting the bill, especially Monte Vista. I felt like I was in some other decade. Lots of old-school downtown businesses, kids playing in the park, neighbors talking over the fence, other groups walking to the downtown movie theater or other places. No overrun of box stores or fast food joints. There is also a drive-in movie theater still in use with an old-time snack bar the likes of which I've not seen in 20 years. The local Latino culture seemed to include quite a few old cars. Yard sales, vegetable stands, church bake sales. Lots of people using the library. It felt like at least the early 70's. All against the backdrop of the beautiful Colorado mountains.

Old 08-15-2011, 05:50 PM

1,801 posts, read 2,924,117 times
One very small town i visited in N.C, called Pittsboro, beautiful small town with the 50's 60's feel about it, had a great Icecream parlour.

Old 08-21-2011, 07:47 PM

23,593 posts, read 37,471,872 times
Many towns and villages in the Ozarks haven't changed much since the Civil War. Modern conveniences but "old world" ideals.

Old 08-23-2011, 10:20 AM

114 posts, read 268,251 times
The place you are looking for is only in your mind. It never really existed like that. The 50s good-ol-days nostalgia thing only works if you're white and somewhere near middle class. However here is one rule for looking for good backwater towns; they must be at LEAST 70 miles from the nearest interstate, major airport, national park or 4-lane state hiway. There must be no universities nearby, no major industry. A strong presence of old ladies (65+) is a good sign, they're the culture keepers for that era. Churches are a strong community glue, even if you don't attend, active churches mean a cohesive community, as do service clubs (Lions, Rotary, JayCees). AS far as the styles and cars and all that, I think maybe a cosplay group is what you need. Get a bunch of like-minded people together and buy up an old dying town and make it how YOU want. Just saying. Paradise is not out there, it's in your head, you have to make it happen.

Old 08-23-2011, 10:28 AM

23,593 posts, read 37,471,872 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by plainbrowntabby View Post
The place you are looking for is only in your mind. It never really existed like that. The 50s good-ol-days nostalgia thing only works if you're white and somewhere near middle class. However here is one rule for looking for good backwater towns; they must be at LEAST 70 miles from the nearest interstate, major airport, national park or 4-lane state hiway. There must be no universities nearby, no major industry. A strong presence of old ladies (65+) is a good sign, they're the culture keepers for that era. Churches are a strong community glue, even if you don't attend, active churches mean a cohesive community, as do service clubs (Lions, Rotary, JayCees). AS far as the styles and cars and all that, I think maybe a cosplay group is what you need. Get a bunch of like-minded people together and buy up an old dying town and make it how YOU want. Just saying. Paradise is not out there, it's in your head, you have to make it happen.
Not! It's there. You just have to know where.

Old 06-12-2012, 12:16 PM

1 posts, read 4,414 times
Exactly what you are looking for...Geneva-on-the-lake, OH. Cool 50s themed town.
Also, a guy in Rogersville, TN built a functional 50s town in his backyard. Opens it to the public once a year.

Old 06-13-2012, 08:01 PM

26,406 posts, read 46,566,000 times
Wolfeboro, NH comes to mind.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Rural and Small Town Living