U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Rural and Small Town Living
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-14-2012, 10:12 AM

1,886 posts, read 1,936,364 times

Advertisements

Anderson, SC. The people seem to be stuck on those were the perfect times and want to be more like then, yet in those days almost half the county population lived in the city and the city had half the area it does now. Well, fast forward to the 21st century and the city has lost a little over a third of its population even though it has doubled in size, but the county is over double the population.

It's just a bunch of old people who are competing for living the farthest away.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-14-2012, 11:28 AM

3,401 posts, read 2,545,170 times
The closest I've seen to living in the past is a tiny little town called Elsah in southwest Illinios along where the Illinois River and the Mississippi River meet. There is also a very small college there called Principia. The village looks like all residents are living in the past.

Village of Elsah, Illinois

Old 06-17-2012, 09:36 PM

4,780 posts, read 6,229,724 times
I don't know of one, but when you find it let me know. I might enjoy going to a town where choldren know their place and parents know how and when to discipline their children. I could even accept having to wear a dress and pumps every day to school and doing my grades with pencil and paper instead of a computer program. I even think I could survive without a cell phone, but I would really have to take my microwave back to the past with me and my laptop.

Old 06-18-2012, 06:46 AM

833 posts, read 1,494,384 times
Williamsburg Ky ( on I-75 near TN border )

Old 06-18-2012, 07:32 AM

133 posts, read 553,456 times
"When the end of the world comes, I want to be in Cincinnati because it's always twenty years behind the times."
--Mark Twain

Seriously? If you want Hill Valley, CA, watch Back to the Future. There are pockets where life is very conservative, especially in the Midwest. Some of those communities mentioned earlier have Mennonite, Amish, or Apostolic populations. Those communities will have an influence on the rest of the community, even on the non-members.

Sorry, until they invent a time machine which can adequately transport a fully composed human to the past rather than a particle to the future, you're stuck in 2012. The 1950s...... don't be such a square daddy-o!

Old 06-18-2012, 09:07 AM

6,467 posts, read 11,722,569 times
Some rural Oregon, Washington, and (Northern) California towns come kind of close. Older established buildings in a downtown core, where everyone knows everyone. Like Maxwell and Dunsmuir California, Burns, Joseph, Enterprise, Lakeview, Klamath Falls Oregon, and Aberdeen, Vader, Winlock, Napavine Washington.

Old 06-19-2012, 02:02 PM

2,705 posts, read 4,755,258 times
I would say in many ways a lot of the small towns in my home states of South Dakota and Nebraska would fit the bill. Of course everyone has modern cars, appliances, cable/satellite TV, etc, so in that way they are just as 21st century as the rest of us- but if you drive down the main streets in these towns they still have the old facades from back then, still have the angled parking along the storefronts, summer days the air is filled with the sound of lawn mowers, kids are riding bikes all over town.

One example is Volga, South Dakota. A nice little town of about 1300 people that is nice and well kept. They even still have an old siren attached to the roof of the volunteer fire department building that blows every day at noon and 6:00 PM that can be heard all over town... parents tell their kids to be home for dinner "when the whistle blows".

Old 06-19-2012, 04:55 PM

268 posts, read 510,216 times
The entire Kansas City metropolitan area. It hasn't changed since the 1860s. :0

Old 06-19-2012, 05:35 PM

19,013 posts, read 23,865,892 times
Here in NE PA (North East PA) we have about five drive in movie theaters. We have mom and pop stores galore! And people say "galore"!

Going bowling and polka dancing are popular events. People go to church on Sunday and on other days. We have church fairs - often called "bazaars" all summer long. Your place of worship is your life.

We have an amusement park that's not a "theme park" that looks like it's from another era. Knoebels.

There are motel courts with cottages and County Fairs.

A vintage car show attracts a large crowd. An ice cream cone costs a buck. And a BIG one.

There are hairdressers called "Beauty Parlors" located in people homes.

Right in Wilkes-Barre is a department store from a by gone era. An announcer who sounds like Don Pardo, tells "Ladies! Summer is here and it's time to change your purse!" and " Hey YOUNGSTERS! It's back to school time! We have a large selection of back to school items here at Boscovs!"

Boscovs also has a travel agency, a beauty parlor, it sells appliances and furniture and has a home made candy shop.

But wait, the Luncheonette is special! A favorite with local seniors and young families on a budget, it offers retro fare such as tuna salad sandwich on white toast, chicken noodle soup, grilled cheese, meat loaf and mashed potatoes.

I'm pretty sure we win! Come visit us sometime!

Old 06-21-2012, 02:04 AM

5,831 posts, read 4,087,652 times
You mean like a town where if I drove my 2008 Honda Accord in they would point and laugh? LOL
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Rural and Small Town Living