U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Rural and Small Town Living
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-23-2011, 09:40 AM

1,618 posts, read 2,492,244 times

Advertisements

I do not know where else to put this thread --- I live in a rural area, have a pond and yup, beavers have opted to move in - at least 2-3 x a month, I have someone who comes in to undo the dam - they are creating havoc - we have eliminated 2 so far - I am researching different types of "cages" for lack of any better term to put over the culvert and I understand that they are not completely effective but certainly make it more difficult for beavers...is there anything else that can be done? I trust there are many people who have had to deal with this problem, especially in rural areas....Help! Thoughts?

Thanks!!!!!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-24-2011, 06:29 AM

34,460 posts, read 43,320,647 times
Contact your state DNR. They may have a trapping program that will remove problem beavers or will be able to put you in contact with a professional trapper who will do it for a fee. Or ask around the good old boys in your area and see if any trap as a living during the season.

You have an area that is attractive so you may end up getting rid of these ones and in a year or two more will move in.

A caution about removal or meddling with the current dam: in many states that is a violation of game laws and can result in fines. The standard most state wildlife departments use is: Is the impoundment threatening structures or roadways? If not, meddling with the dam is a chargeable offense and even then many departments require you to get a permit to do so.

Old 06-24-2011, 06:49 AM

12,083 posts, read 34,594,395 times
NBP is right, you have to remove the beavers. Either through live trapping and release, or find a tapper who traps for fur. Removing only the dam does nothing to get rid of the problem.

Old 06-24-2011, 07:59 AM

20,521 posts, read 26,718,757 times
We had a problem with beavers at one of our properties. No matter how many times we broke up their dams the beavers would just rebuild.

We called our local Fish and Game Warden and he came out to trap them. You have to get rid of the beavers not just the dams. Good luck. Try calling around to see if anyone can trap them or hunt them.

Old 06-24-2011, 09:56 PM

4,729 posts, read 8,738,140 times
Be aware that in some areas it is illegal to disturb the dam and hunt/trap the beavers at all (or at least out of season), even if they are a nuisance (i.e. fouling up some private man-made structure -- like your driveway or your cattle watering station).

Our neighbor ran into this issue when beavers moved into the portion of creek on his property, Fish & Game didn't allow him to "molest the beavers" in any way for almost 3 years.

Old 06-25-2011, 01:04 AM

3,115 posts, read 7,356,990 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MissingAll4Seasons View Post
Fish & Game didn't allow him to "molest the beavers" in any way for almost 3 years.
They actually used that phrase? It definitely works, but it must be a section of their code that was written long ago, back when gay meant happy, and we actually *dialed* phones!

Language changes so fast...

Old 06-25-2011, 01:51 AM

4,729 posts, read 8,738,140 times
Yup, the warden actually said those exact words

But, ending of the story is a happy one, after 3 years F&G came and moved the beavers elsewhere, and thus ended any thoughts of molestation

Old 06-26-2011, 08:46 PM

17,098 posts, read 22,615,306 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sugarmaple View Post
I do not know where else to put this thread --- I live in a rural area, have a pond and yup, beavers have opted to move in - at least 2-3 x a month, I have someone who comes in to undo the dam - they are creating havoc - we have eliminated 2 so far - I am researching different types of "cages" for lack of any better term to put over the culvert and I understand that they are not completely effective but certainly make it more difficult for beavers...is there anything else that can be done? I trust there are many people who have had to deal with this problem, especially in rural areas....Help! Thoughts?

Thanks!!!!!
Vermont is packed full of beavers. So many in some spots I've found some I didn't get to trapping starved because all the food sources were used up.

You have to get rid of the beavers not the dam. Put up "cages" and they might put a dam around the cage, I've seen it. No live trapping and relocation allowed in Vermont (contributes to spreading disease, more a problem with other species but a potential issue even with beavers-there was a story recently out of PA I think where rabid beavers were chewing on people in some city park somewhere).

This may help with the regs. in VT on this: http://www.vtfishandwildlife.com/lib..._Conflicts.pdf

Old 06-27-2011, 11:40 AM

18,564 posts, read 55,493,012 times
Leave it to Vermont to come up with a brochure like that. I wonder what the response of Vermont eco-nuts would be if a beaver began constructing a billboard. I think their minds would probably spin inside their skulls until they turned into butter.

Old 07-01-2011, 06:59 PM

4,585 posts, read 11,000,871 times
LOL, we have beaver problems here too. But the very best beaver story comes from one of our local celebs

YouTube - ‪Jeff Foxworthy and Rachael Ray‬‏
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Rural and Small Town Living