U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Rural and Small Town Living
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-05-2011, 06:19 PM

221 posts, read 1,044,547 times

Advertisements

We had a terrible tragedy in our area on the 4th of July.

A 71 year old farmer had just driven his 1948 tractor in a very small town's 4th of July parade.

After the parade he was driving home slowly on the shoulder of the highway, as farm vehicles do, when he was hit from behind by someone who didn't have the sense to slow down for a farm vehicle.

The farmer was thrown so far out of his tractor that his body went into oncoming traffic, and he was very thoroughly and grotesquely killed by being run over by several vehicles.

Please, people! No one needs to get anywhere so quickly that they need to speed and ignore the needs of other drivers. Slow down! Especially in farm country where even modern farm vehicles need to get from one place to another on main roads. I often think that country highways are more dangerous than city roads, because people drive faster and are more careless.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-05-2011, 07:57 PM

4,112 posts, read 3,879,762 times
strange, yesterday I was driving through rural OH and a tractor darted out into the highway...
Sad story though.

Old 07-10-2011, 02:31 AM

6,133 posts, read 7,079,330 times
How can someone be so stupid as to rear end a tractor? Probably texting.

Old 07-10-2011, 08:48 AM

12,083 posts, read 34,596,801 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jamies View Post
It has happened here as well. I suppose if you are used to living in a bigger city and have never seen a tractor on a road, somebody might misjudge how slow they really are and come up too fast to stop. Either way, there is no excuse and it's pretty damn stupid driving.

Old 09-22-2011, 01:42 PM

2,401 posts, read 4,023,739 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jamies View Post
I bet you are right!

Old 09-28-2011, 05:51 AM

40,290 posts, read 41,843,525 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SNEwx_46 View Post
strange, yesterday I was driving through rural OH and a tractor darted out into the highway...
Sad story though.
There's no excuse for running into someone if they obeying the law and using some common sense but on the other had I had tractor that was on the right berm do a left turn across a 2 lane road with 55mph speed limit as I was approaching from behind. Guy never looked or gave any indication he was about to turn, almost ran into him and I have perfect driving record for 25 years with maybe a million miles. There's a lot of idiots on the road including those driving tractors.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Rural and Small Town Living