U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Rural and Small Town Living
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-07-2011, 03:20 PM

8 posts, read 9,256 times

Advertisements

My husband and I have our 13 year old grandson living with us. We have been southern california residents since we were 4 and 6. We are now both retired and tired of the heat, traffic and socal in general. Our dream has always been to live in a mountain town in the pines, but not too far away from a city (hour?) we need a safe place, good high school and places for my husband to play his jazz drums and sub at the local schools. Any ideas for No Cal, we are looking at Paradise, Nevada City, Pollock Pines or???
thanks
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-07-2011, 04:48 PM

Location: Finally escaped The People's Republic of California
11,120 posts, read 7,658,449 times
You might try posting this in the Cali Forum....
My opinion is moving a teenager is not a good idea, at least it wasn't for me....

Old 08-07-2011, 05:00 PM

9,171 posts, read 17,542,196 times
Where, I won't attempt, but my guess your grandson is in the 8th grade, I would try to move by the end of next school year, (or NOW), So he spends 8th grade with some of the kids he will go to HS with, or time it do you get to the new town in time to get to HS (And the HS stuff that starts early) like band, football, etc, that start over the summer before HS.

Old 08-07-2011, 05:07 PM

3,115 posts, read 7,353,989 times
If your grandson is also a musician - or any other kind of artist - and you're open to Southern California, I would check out Idyllwild. Idyllwild Arts is a very good private high school and was connected to USC at one time, although it's independent now. But kids come from all over the world to study there.

And there are restaurants in town with live music - for your husband and his drums. It's got pine trees, and hiking and rock climbing, and it's a mile above sea level. Definitely a small town atmosphere.

I've lived in Southern California my whole life, and I love it! But I can assure you, Idyllwild doesn't feel like the rest of the Southern California. But it's about an hour from Palm Springs or Riverside, and a little over two hours from Los Angeles - so you wouldn't be leaving everything you know behind, forever. Living in Idyllwild just means you can pick and choose when you come off the hill, and rejoin the rat race!

Old 08-09-2011, 12:44 PM

Location: We_tside PNW (Columbia Gorge) / CO / SA TX / Thailand
23,471 posts, read 41,064,757 times
Head to a rural area near Chico (there are plenty).

Better yet, (if you are responsible for your grandson's edu...) move to WA State and let the state pay for 2 yrs of college INSTEAD of wasting time in High School. (Running Start Program). CA may have a similar provision.

Camas, Vancouver, WA are 10 minutes to Portland... a big jazz scene. NO Income Tax in WA, no Sales tax in OR.

Old 08-11-2011, 01:45 PM

130 posts, read 307,190 times
Conifer, Loveland and Fairplay are mountain towns in Colorado that fit that description. Omak, Ellensburg, Camas are Washington towns that come to mind.

Old 08-11-2011, 05:31 PM

35,123 posts, read 42,553,570 times
So i guess the young teenager will have to say goodbye to his social life and current circle of friends and acquaintances.
Maybe head up to the Mendocino area where you'll get all the peace and quiet you need
The teenager? he'll make new friends eh?,
When i was 13 my parents moved from England to Florida, it wasnt easy saying goodbye to all my friends knowing i'd never see them again, making those new friends didnt come easy..
What does the kid think of this move?

Last edited by jambo101; 08-11-2011 at 06:32 PM..

Old 09-07-2011, 06:55 AM

1,559 posts, read 3,240,983 times
I don't think you should stay simply because of the teenager. My parents moved us 4 times within two years after having never left our small town of Vermont. They did what they needed to do. And - well, we adapted...it wasn't easy but it was a good lesson in life. We didn't have the Internet like it is now back in the 80s so he'll be able to keep in touch with his friends so much easier. He can start high school in a place and finish it out there in that new place as well. You never know what a move will bring but definitely be positive. He may wind up loving it in the end!

Old 09-11-2011, 11:31 PM

8 posts, read 9,256 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jjsjourneys View Post
My husband and I have our 13 year old grandson living with us. We have been southern california residents since we were 4 and 6. We are now both retired and tired of the heat, traffic and socal in general. Our dream has always been to live in a mountain town in the pines, but not too far away from a city (hour?) we need a safe place, good high school and places for my husband to play his jazz drums and sub at the local schools. Any ideas for No Cal, we are looking at Paradise, Nevada City, Pollock Pines or???
thanks
Thank you for all your responses, but most of you will be happy to know we are waiting to move until our grandson graduates high school and is on his way to college. We don't want to uproot him as he is happy here and has his good buddies. 4 more hot summers after this one, we can do it!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Rural and Small Town Living