U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Rural and Small Town Living
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-02-2015, 10:18 PM

31,146 posts, read 50,309,418 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by LordyLordy View Post
... Did you run a farm while building a home too? Or being a kit home it took a month to build? (No idea here just asking).
I am not the example here.

Totally off-topic: I have told you what I did.

Now, back to the OP, I have also been telling you about what happens here.

Quote:
... I am also guessing that you have VA for medical coverage, no?
While it is off-topic, I will say that 'no' I do not use the VA.

Quote:
... Come here and farm to feed the bustling city. With no bank account, no job in town, no medical insurance and no land to begin with.
[

Thankfully you decides to get back on topic.

Yes, people do start up farms here.

Quote:
... Maybe labor is more expensive where land is $300/acre but not where land is $15-20K/acre.
Labor is the biggest expense for farmers around here.

I do understand that in high priced / drought-prone desert it may be different.

But in fertile regions, labor is expensive.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-02-2015, 10:26 PM

297 posts, read 287,165 times
Yes, because everyone is suggesting that any homeless guy with 50 cents in his pocket, can show up and start a farm for kicks....

Old 01-02-2015, 10:32 PM

1,417 posts, read 1,576,856 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Westcoastnavy View Post
Yes, because everyone is suggesting that any homeless guy with 50 cents in his pocket, can show up and start a farm for kicks....
Well, your biggest idol on this forum basically told us that he came in, paid cash for everything, spent a year paying bills while building a home and then started a farm, all the while living on a pension

Now he is talking about apprenticeships (slave labor?) and ways for people to come and become farmers with no cash in the pocket.

He is unwilling or incapable of producing statistics that say what percentage of these so-called apprentices actually end up owning a farm in the same area. If he did present this data, I apologize in advance.

I made the claim that in order for you to have a normal life where you are not a burden on society and you want to start a PROFITABLE BUSINESS LIKE A FARM, you have to basically do the same Submariner did, or some variation of it (like spouse working a serious job in town).

Nothing wrong with that by the way - any business should be based on REALITY

Old 01-02-2015, 10:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Submariner View Post
While it is off-topic, I will say that 'no' I do not use the VA.
So you are another one that goes to free clinics?

Old 01-02-2015, 11:05 PM

297 posts, read 287,165 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LordyLordy View Post
Well, your biggest idol on this forum basically told us that he came in, paid cash for everything, spent a year paying bills while building a home and then started a farm, all the while living on a pension

Now he is talking about apprenticeships (slave labor?) and ways for people to come and become farmers with no cash in the pocket.

He is unwilling or incapable of producing statistics that say what percentage of these so-called apprentices actually end up owning a farm in the same area. If he did present this data, I apologize in advance.

I made the claim that in order for you to have a normal life where you are not a burden on society and you want to start a PROFITABLE BUSINESS LIKE A FARM, you have to basically do the same Submariner did, or some variation of it (like spouse working a serious job in town).

Nothing wrong with that by the way - any business should be based on REALITY

He is not my idol, but he stated it is possible and more so, he did it. Personally, You just seem to be a negative nancy from what I can tell, while he is a US veteran with a positive outlook. So frankly, his opinion carries more weight than yours in my book.

I actually READ how he did it. He posted it just for you a few pages back. You apparently missed it, and instead of looking for it, you keep asking him how he did it.
I suggested he shouldn't bother, because you seem to be incapable of looking past your own experiences.

No matter how many examples I give you, you simply suggest they cheated and shrug it off. You dont bother to do any research or debate, you just shrug and walk off and chalk it up to miss information.

Personally, I do not think starting a farm would be any harder than starting a manufacturing company (all of the available data suggest it is not). Which I did for $17K. Id love to tell you how.

I had plenty of people tell me it was impossible, but I found a way. You sound a lot like them.

And if I can find dozens of very successful examples every time I look (some with financials provided) many of which had their stories published (and the statistics to back them up), why would i refute what they say? I haven't found any proof that refutes their claim. So Should I just assume they are lying without evidence? Should I also assume the USDA and the census bureau are all lying? That sounds kind of paranoid doesn't it?

Old 01-03-2015, 08:54 AM

Quote:
He is not my idol, but he stated it is possible and more so, he did it. Personally, You just seem to be a negative nancy from what I can tell, while he is a US veteran with a positive outlook. So frankly, his opinion carries more weight than yours in my book

I actually READ how he did it. He posted it just for you a few pages back. You apparently missed it, and instead of looking for it, you keep asking him how he did it.
He just described it a few posts back, let me regurgitate that for you:

He had money in the bank, he owned a motorhome, he paid cash for the land (since he had money in the bank), he lived on the land while building a house for a year - all paid for by pension and money from the bank and then he started a farm. He still has a pension throughout all this. He, at the same time, advocates that it is possible for people to start a farm without any of that. Hmmm.

When I said that this his way was probably the best and most likely the only way to go some pages back, you got your panties in a bunch and started crying foul.

Quote:
No matter how many examples I give you, you simply suggest they cheated and shrug it off. You dont bother to do any research or debate, you just shrug and walk off and chalk it up to miss information.
You can post all the links you want, I am telling you - most farms have money in the bank to back them up when starting for the first few years, or a job in town to provide the same backing. The money in the bank comes from either expensive sale of real-estate in an expensive place and then buying land for cash in a cheap place, or from corporate career/sold business or from Daddy. To paraphrase you - it is like starting any other business like manufacturing. You have to have the money, the facilities, the tools. Someone's got to pay for all this kiddo!

Quote:
Personally, I do not think starting a farm would be any harder than starting a manufacturing company (all of the available data suggest it is not). Which I did for $17K. Id love to tell you how.
Yeah and I bet you would love to sell me a bridge somewhere too?

Quote:
And if I can find dozens of very successful examples every time I look (some with financials provided) many of which had their stories published (and the statistics to back them up), why would i refute what they say? I haven't found any proof that refutes their claim. So Should I just assume they are lying without evidence?
Yes you should assume they are not telling you the whole story. First, it is a privacy thing, nobody tells anybody else (esp. a stranger) EVERYTHING that is going on. On top of that, many people have hidden agendas and want to sell you something - a book, a story, a product, a dream...

Old 01-03-2015, 09:00 AM

31,146 posts, read 50,309,418 times
I came here with money I saved from my career, I have never denied that. I am on a pension that gives me about Minimum-Wage, I have not denied that.

Can a person get into farming without these advantages? Yes.

I see it all around me. I now help others to get into farming without those advantages.

When I came here, I did not know these programs existed. Now I do.

My back story of how I got into farming has no bearing on what many of these other farmers are doing.

Old 01-03-2015, 09:41 AM

Quote:
I came here with money I saved from my career, I have never denied that. I am on a pension that gives me about Minimum-Wage, I have not denied that.
Nobody said you denied them. I enjoy many of your posts, by the way, so I hope you are not taking this personally.

Quote:
Can a person get into farming without these advantages? Yes.
Look, anything's possible. My wife and I have no living relatives in the USA, I came to this country from a war torn place years ago, however it would be dishonest for me to say that I worked my way up with only a primary-school education when in fact I have a degree from a University (I worked all the way through my college years to pay for my education, by the way, no debt load here - however it was hell - while others were sitting cozy at home I was worrying about what I am going to eat). Anyways, that BSc degree, coupled with a life long interest in my profession (since I was 12 years old really) and with a lot of ambition - has helped me advance and have a great job at the top-crop of my profession, great health insurance and be able to afford my place. I understand the value of hard work but look, had I not gone to the University - what would be my starting point in my profession? Nothing - nobody would even look at me. Could I work my way up anyways? Maybe. However, the odds would be stacked against me in a very serious way. The same goes for farming. Can it be done the way you suggest? Maybe, sure. However, is it likely to succeed? Much less than if you came in with a bank account and/or a job in town.

Quote:
My back story of how I got into farming has no bearing on what many of these other farmers are doing.
The back story of a person promoting something ALWAYS has bearing on their credibility

Old 01-03-2015, 12:26 PM

3,165 posts, read 2,916,016 times
Quote:
That sums up the hipster (yuppie) farmers and lecturers.

Old 01-03-2015, 12:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bluecarebear View Post
That sums up the hipster (yuppie) farmers and lecturers.
But anyone who has actually participated in managing a business or owned a business knows that you need start-up capital and a financial plan that shows what you will do to make a living and pay bills until the business becomes profitable. You also need expertise in the chosen field (it would be stupid for me to decide and start up a diving school since I have never been diving in my life) - this expertise is not easy to come by, not to mention you got to live on something while acquiring it. Not only that but you have to accumulate capital while acquiring your education/expertise, in order to be able to start the business. Unfortunately, in farming ,land is a necessity, so is a place to live in et cetera. Finally, there is that pesky business of carrying health insurance, especially if you have children - you may be willing to "risk it" but your children are not required to.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Rural and Small Town Living