U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Rural and Small Town Living
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-15-2015, 10:59 AM

297 posts, read 287,237 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by LordyLordy View Post
Have you actually EVER grown anything in your life? Esp. these niche products?
Lordy I love you. I woke up feeling kind of bummed out because of the rain, but this picked me right up! Your complete failure to read previous posts and ignore any and all data always makes me happy. It is nice to know that even on a cloudy day, someone will say or do something ridiculous to pick up my spirits!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-15-2015, 11:09 AM

https://www.google.com/search?num=50...63.4poZFsqXwIo

Dang, look at all of those bonsai nurseries just in California!! Nope, I guess there is absolutely no market for bonsai whatsoever! Definitely no one selling or growing these things for a living and Absolutely no one competing with large chain stores....

Old 01-15-2015, 11:15 AM

Fruit, Bread, Meat, and Stories: Mycoterra: A Woodlands Basement Mushroom Farm

Old 01-15-2015, 01:36 PM

1,417 posts, read 1,577,163 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Westcoastnavy View Post
Lordy I love you. I woke up feeling kind of bummed out because of the rain, but this picked me right up! Your complete failure to read previous posts and ignore any and all data always makes me happy. It is nice to know that even on a cloudy day, someone will say or do something ridiculous to pick up my spirits!
But you have NEVER grown any of the ten plants you posted, esp. in a commercial capacity, no? Can you answer that? Can you answer this - you have no idea what goes on in running a profitable lavender farm either, do you? Or for that matter a bonsai farm. Yet you are pasting links all over the place about these and others and actively recommending them to people.

Can you answer the above?

Old 01-15-2015, 04:55 PM

YES!!! The lordy strikes again, with ignorance abound! Still incapable of reading past posts. I needed a good laugh after lunch, thanks brotha!

And also, http://www.enonvalleygarlic.com/About.php

Old 01-16-2015, 01:01 AM

Quote:
YES!!! The lordy strikes again, with ignorance abound! Still incapable of reading past posts. I needed a good laugh after lunch, thanks brotha!

And also, http://www.enonvalleygarlic.com/About.php
OK, sure - but you haven't really answered my questions above, have you?

So:, I am calling you out! Instead of pasting more useless links, answer the below questions

1 Have you grown bonsai commercially or otherwise?
2. Have you run a lavender farm? No, wait, have you grown a single lavender?
3. What makes you qualified to recommend any of these to anyone?

Thanks! Enjoy communicating with you!

Old 01-16-2015, 02:50 AM

Actually I have answered this question on this post.
Also, i find your argument inane. I have never been a hooker, but i can guess at what that job entails!

You have stated that you have not tried to make your little farm profitable. So on that same logic tree, you not allowed to discuss farm which is ran by people who only generate an income from said farm. Nor are you allowed to discuss a specific product unless you have personally commercially grown and sold it!
So have you personally grown and sold, commercially, mushrooms, lavender, animal fiber, Bonsai, grapes for wine, beef, chicken, eggs, bird stock such as emu or ostrich or grain? Because you have expressed your opinion of all of those so far.
And if you have not, why do you think you can hold yourself to a different standard than everyone else?
Also, have you even posted what YOU think would be the most profitable type of small farming would be? Because, you know, that IS what the OP asked.
And yes, i know that you consider the USDA and US census bureau to be "useless links". which by the way, cracks me up.
You seem to think that your personal experience trumps all data and science based studies or statistics. Seriously, that is amusing.

Also, why do the links I share bother you so much?
You never provide proof, just opinions, and you bag on every positive poster.
So what causes you to hate positive examples?
Do other peoples successes make you feel inadequate?

Old 01-16-2015, 03:15 AM

almost forgot.
Good Neighbors Blog | In Viriginia, Small Family Farm Finds Success

Old 01-16-2015, 09:58 AM

Quote:
Actually I have answered this question on this post.
Also, i find your argument inane. I have never been a hooker, but i can guess at what that job entails!

You have stated that you have not tried to make your little farm profitable. So on that same logic tree, you not allowed to discuss farm which is ran by people who only generate an income from said farm. Nor are you allowed to discuss a specific product unless you have personally commercially grown and sold it!
So have you personally grown and sold, commercially, mushrooms, lavender, animal fiber, Bonsai, grapes for wine, beef, chicken, eggs, bird stock such as emu or ostrich or grain? Because you have expressed your opinion of all of those so far.
And if you have not, why do you think you can hold yourself to a different standard than everyone else?
Also, have you even posted what YOU think would be the most profitable type of small farming would be? Because, you know, that IS what the OP asked.
And yes, i know that you consider the USDA and US census bureau to be "useless links". which by the way, cracks me up.
You seem to think that your personal experience trumps all data and science based studies or statistics. Seriously, that is amusing.

Also, why do the links I share bother you so much?
You never provide proof, just opinions, and you bag on every positive poster.
So what causes you to hate positive examples?
Do other peoples successes make you feel inadequate?
Well, I don't know. I clearly stated I don't have a farm. Hence, people can take all my opinions with a grain of salt - it is out there. I don't hate your links or posts - I challenge their veracity and I point out to people that these links/pages could be nothing more than ad-revenue generators. Most (and I mean most) of the links you have posted were non-USDA/census links - they are someone's "Wanna know what to grow? Here are the top ten..." - you can see how this can be misleading, if not pretty annoying after a while. It is also very superficial in many cases.

Let me also ask you this - since you post these "stories" and "recommendations" - how do YOU KNOW they are true? 'Cause they "make sense" to YOU? Somewhere in this thread you stated that these forums' purpose is education - in that context - I am educating people not to believe everything an armchair expert copies and pastes without an ounce of understanding.

I also happen to think it is a fair question to ask of YOU if you YOU actually grow any of those plants you recommended. After all, you are recommending them. It would also be fair to ask a person, for example, if they recommend using bicycles to get around if they use one themselves, have they ever done it in a big city with a lot of bad traffic and so on. After all, we all KNOW how to bicycle - the concept is not that complicated. But have you ridden a bike in Washington DC as a daily commuter? Or in NYC? Or Atlanta?

I have rubbed shoulders with people who were experts in their fields and have learned to always keep my mouth shut unless I have first hand knowledge and experience in a topic. I can challenge something based on common sense also but I cannot go around telling people what to do without having the experience and knowledge to do it, without disclaimer that I may not know what I am talking about.

A few posts above I gave you a formula I would use to start a farm: make a 3-yr plan, buy land in cash, keep the job in town or make sure spouse keeps theirs, talk to local restaurants about what they are looking for, FIND WHAT IS MISSING in the local market, grow a variety of organics, find other small farmers in the area, be prepared for LOTS of work, no profit for a while and lots of marketing efforts, so on and so on. However, since people know I don't farm (but I am close to starting one if I want) - they can decide to think I am full of s*it and call me out on it (in which case I will acknowledge again that I don't farm) or they can decide it is good, sound advice.

The difference between you and I is that you post these random links - and then you are ready to defend them based on them "making sense". You don't know the people who write these articles, you have never been to their farms, you don't know their sources of revenue and their situations. Zilch, nada, zero.

For example, do you know how many people online recommend drinking raw milk? Many of them have been up in arms about laws that prevent people from selling raw milk - it is an affront to our liberty etc. Sounds good in principle. Until you go to someone's farm or start researching them and find out they have been cited multiple times for not keeping their equipment clean or until someone gets poisoned. But hey, to the armchair expert it all "sounds right" and "makes sense".

Finally, to use your hooker example - just like you, I can IMAGINE what a hooker does but I cannot pretend to give advice to someone who wants to be a hooker and tell them how to act, what do buy, where to look for customers, what to charge for the services etc. -> this is essentially what YOU are doing in this thread. Then when someone challenges your links and "stories" and wonders whether the people behind those posts (and you by translation) know what they are talking about - you get all emotional...

Last edited by LordyLordy; 01-16-2015 at 11:18 AM..

Old 01-16-2015, 11:52 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LordyLordy View Post
Finally, to use your hooker example - just like you, I can IMAGINE what a hooker does but I cannot pretend to give advice to someone who wants to be a hooker and tell them how to act, what do buy, where to look for customers, what to charge for the services etc. -> this is essentially what YOU are doing in this thread. Then when someone challenges your links and "stories" and wonders whether the people behind those posts (and you by translation) know what they are talking about - you get all emotional...
First, would suggest hookers use condoms? Oh no, but your not a hooker so why on earth should you make a suggestion?????
Common sense applies to every career.

Second, i have posted somewhere near 35 links. Only one of them was NOT based on someones personal story. Only one. everything else, was an article written about one specific person/people who are currently in business in the US OR a USDA or Census bureau.
Call me out If you like, I will link everyone of them.

third, I said I do not currently have a farm. Long before that I listed what I have done. If you are too lazy to find it, thats on you not me, stop asking.

Four; How do I know every article is not B.S?
well/ many of them were large newspapers. Many others were.org or .gov sites. a few were random page articles, but it they were small articles, i researched them. All the people/farms in question are still in business, you get tons of google hits on them. You can check farms on yelp, BBB, as well as numerous other places.

Can you prove a single one of the articles is BS?
Have you even read any of them BESIDES the one writers top 10 choices for farming? It doesnt seem like it, lol.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Rural and Small Town Living