U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Rural and Small Town Living
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-26-2011, 01:22 PM

373 posts, read 555,990 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by oz in SC View Post
No wool,it isn't worth the trouble sadly.
Going with a hair sheep like this:
I was putting up some fence posts to replace ones that where rotting in the Pen where one of the Rams looked just like him. As the day progressed I took my coat off and put it over and old tree stump. He decided to run into the old stump severel times before concluding it was to tough and left it alone. The sheep were the dumbest animals in the barnyard.

The goats would sometimes get there horns caught in the fence and need to be set loose. But never really escaped and wondered off very far. They had a environment they liked.

The domesticated wild pigs though were another story... they did like get loose and explore, never forgetting where gardens and creeks were. One large boor even put his snout under a fence post, lifted it so all the rest could escape. It took awhile see him doing it.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-26-2011, 02:22 PM

23,440 posts, read 32,201,862 times
We have had dairy goats for 3 years and have never had a problem with them getting out except once....
A tree on the neighbors side of the fence fell, and the goats got out.
However, since we had conditioned them to go into the barn at night for a sweet feed treat, (predators are a problem here, we run the goats into the barn at night) all it took as a shake of the feed jug, and they came back over the fence.

Old 08-27-2011, 09:55 AM

1,135 posts, read 1,871,559 times
I chose my Dorset sheep for the purpose of "cleaning up" the land. They mow versus "rip out by the roots". They have become sweet pets like dogs and follow me around and rub/lean against me and are soooo sweet. One is even in love with a chicken and protects it from the cat. They hang at bonfires and will drink your cocktail if you're not looking. Selling wool? 30 cents # but I could breed them and sell/eat lambs. Super sweet 150# talking babies. They use the dog door and sneak into garage to eat dog food.

Goats...seem to destroy as much as they do good. I think they're more headstrong and ornery. However, goat is the most consumed meat in the world. I personally would not eat it.

Old 08-27-2011, 12:00 PM

4,645 posts, read 5,160,782 times
I could never kill my goats. They don't deserve that.

Old 08-27-2011, 05:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Peggy Anne View Post
I could never kill my goats. They don't deserve that.
Neither could I, they are family!

Old 08-27-2011, 10:11 PM

19,556 posts, read 19,546,660 times
It is much harder to eat them while still alive....

Old 08-28-2011, 12:22 AM

Quote:
It is much harder to eat them while still alive....
Why would I want to kill my goats?
They provide us with milk and cheese, not to mention ecofriendly weed control, and the best soil amendment ever via their poo, which we compost.
They are also funny and amusing.

Old 08-28-2011, 09:23 AM

19,556 posts, read 19,546,660 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kshe95girl View Post
Why would I want to kill my goats?
They provide us with milk and cheese,
Not the boys...

Quote:
not to mention ecofriendly weed control,
That will be the main purpose of whatever we get,be it hair sheep or goats.
Quote:
and the best soil amendment ever via their poo, which we compost.
We will be doing the same.

Quote:
They are also funny and amusing.
Well that is probably true,but then pigs are funny...and quite tasty.

Old 08-28-2011, 11:08 AM

Quote:
Not the boys...

That will be the main purpose of whatever we get,be it hair sheep or goats.

We will be doing the same.

Well that is probably true,but then pigs are funny...and quite tasty.
The boys guard the flock, we have predators out here.

Old 09-03-2011, 10:53 AM

6,591 posts, read 21,276,873 times
on the "i could never eat my goats" line of thinking...
i have to ask, are you vegitatrian/vegan?
or is t the idea of goats as meat or simply the idea of your own animals becomming meat?

personally id prefer to slaughter/butcher and eat MY lvestock than eat anythign bought at the store...at least i know any livestock raised on my land has been humanely treated, lived a GOOD life with good food, sunshine and plenty of space, hasnt been filled with hormones, antibiotics and sterioids just to get it to market weight quicker ect...
id rather eat healthy meat that led a full rich life than that junk (even organic and "free range") they sell in the grocery store thanks.

dairy goats arnt bred to be eaten, there bred to be bred so they can give birth and privde milk...
meat goats are bred to become meat...goats meat is very nice when cooked properly...
justlike some breeds of sheep are bred for meat, some for wool, some for both, or chickens, some arefor eggs others for meat...

my general rule of thumb is "you earn your keep" if your providing me with good milk for drinking and making cheese then your earning your keep...if not ill ether have to sell you to buy someone that can, or, welcome to the stew pot...same goes for almost any LIVESTOCK...
but at least i know any animal im sending to slaughter has been raised with a kind caring hand and lived a good lifeof sunshine fresh air, grass and dirt ect...rather than cramped feedlots and manufactured hormone enriched food.

even my pets are expected to do something to earn their keep...except my fish...they pretty much get a free ride lol...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Rural and Small Town Living