U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Rural and Small Town Living
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Are you a farmer?
Yes, I farm full-time and earn all of my income from farming. 1 3.85%
Yes, I farm and earn more than 50% of my income from farming. 0 0%
Yes, I farm and earn 1 - 49% of my income from farming. 7 26.92%
Yes, I have a "hobby farm" and earn no income from farming. 4 15.38%
Yes, I'm retired from earning my primary income from farming. 0 0%
No, I own a farm but do not farm it myself. 1 3.85%
No, but I live on a farm which provides income for others. 2 7.69%
No, but I have close friends or relatives who farm. 4 15.38%
No, but I want to farm. 4 15.38%
No. 3 11.54%
Voters: 26. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-19-2011, 10:18 PM

221 posts, read 1,044,380 times

Advertisements

I'm curious about how many of us on the Rural and Small Town Living forum are farmers. I hope these catagories provide enough options!

Yes, I farm full time and earn all of my income from farming.

Yes, I farm and earn more than 50% of my income from farming.

Yes, I farm and earn 1 - 49% of my income from farming.
Yes, I live on a "hobby" farm which provides no income.
Yes, but I'm retired from earning my primary income from farming.
No, I own a farm but I do not farm it myself.

No, but I live on a farm which provides income for others.

No, but I have close friends and relatives who farm.

No, but I want to farm.
No.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-20-2011, 07:19 AM

31,147 posts, read 50,318,661 times
I plan to earn more one day.

Old 08-20-2011, 07:30 AM

2,503 posts, read 5,627,373 times
I work outside the home, and my husband is a farmer...64 acres in South Central Missouri. We have made some income on selling hay, but haven't sold our first calves yet. We are newbie farmers, and we love it.

Old 08-20-2011, 08:13 AM

37,143 posts, read 43,070,821 times
My dad is the first generation in at least a dozen generations of his family, both here and in the motherland well over a century ago, not to farm. Nobody in the family farms anymore, but most still live rurally.

Old 08-20-2011, 12:01 PM

3,429 posts, read 5,259,256 times
I own 28 acres of farm land, had leased it out for cattle grazing for a few years. Now a friend pastures several horses here, they are company for my goat and so he stays home, doesn't escape and go looking for whatever.

I would love to have someone put it to use for veggie crops, the place has about 1000 ft of creek that runs thru it. Think I'll look in to this idea, we have a lot of folks interested in organic farming here and a new group called Sustain Floyd, geared toward growing local foods.

Old 08-23-2011, 01:13 PM

221 posts, read 1,044,380 times
I'm bumping this back up to the top because I think it's very significant that out of the 63 people who have viewed this thread NO ONE has more than 50% of their income coming from their own farm labor. Come on you lookie-lous - at least click on NO if you're not a farmer so that we can learn more about ourselves! Thanks!

Old 08-23-2011, 02:34 PM

31,147 posts, read 50,318,661 times
My father has spent most of 80 years either farming or ranching. He and his parents insisted that it was easier to support a family on a farm before the Dust Bowl.

So far, in the post-Dust Bowl era, I do not think that my father has been able to get Ag to support itself independent of a salaried job for more then one year out of every ten.

He was going to give a ranch to my sons, if they had the vision of trying to get it self-supporting. But after a year trying they realized that they simply did not have well enough paying jobs to provide the income needed to support such an activity.

When I was in college, I knew many couples who were farming. In most cases one person had a f/t job in town to support the one on the farm. In some cases one person had a f/t job and the other had a p/t job, to support their farm habit.

Since moving to this area, we have gotten to know a few farm families who seem to be able to make it work for them. But it is very low budget methods.

Old 08-25-2011, 09:50 PM

1,472 posts, read 2,030,446 times
Its hard to make an income off a farm anymore.We owned 100 acres and rented 300.Yea you might get Milk Check twice a month,get a Big check when you sell a crop but how many times you look out see $1000 Cow down,call Vet he charges $500 for coming out and you still lose the Cow.How many times do you have nice looking Corn in the River Bottoms only to have the river get out and distroy it.Oh have a Combine catch fire,if your Lucky you just lose it and not your Wheat field.

I'm retired sold my place to Deer Hunters.I have 5 acres now thinking I really should do something besides mow it but I think I'll go fishing in the morning and think it over.

brushrunner

Old 08-25-2011, 10:50 PM

1,068 posts, read 1,537,561 times
No, but I live on one.

Old 08-26-2011, 07:10 AM

4,178 posts, read 9,537,698 times
I live on a small (60 acre) farm, surrounded by huge cattle ranches. We sell eggs and DH repairs small engines and wood furniture for locals. We started our little herd of Dexter cows 2 years ago; they are coming along well. A neighbor girl in 4-H showed one of our calves this year at the County fair - the first time Dexters have EVER been at the Fair! - and won 2 blue ribbons.

All that said, most ranchers here have wives who work (teachers, nurses, office jobs in 'town') and they depend on those salaries to keep the ranches going. When you only sell cattle 2-3 times a year in bulk at auctions, it's hard to pay the bills all year 'round. Ranchers - unlike farmers - get no subsidies for what they grow- or don't grow. Most supplement their cattle income by growing hay or grain as well, trying to make ends meet, and many have outstanding accounts at the feed and seed and grocery stores, payable whenever they sell ther production. I work outside the home as well; we have the farm not to get rich or even to make money, but to have fresh produce, eggs, chicken, and our own grassfed beef and milk; to live where and how we please.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Rural and Small Town Living