U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Rural and Small Town Living
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-30-2011, 08:22 PM

2,283 posts, read 3,143,473 times

Advertisements

We've beaten up the west coast pretty much. We like CA. (My DH was raised and still has family there.) We especially the climate and looks of northern CA but taxes will eat a hole in us and sailing in northern CA is pretty much the offshore type rather than coastal cruising. Love Oregon, especially southern Oregon but the sailing is again offshore, meaning way offshore. Puget Sound is perfect for our type of sailing (pretty much a lifetime of puttering about to be had exploring coves between Tacoma and Port Hardy) but 300K is cutting it on the slim side, meaning we can't afford to live as we've become accustomed to living in most of the Sound communities with sailing harbors.

We live in south-central Alaska and five months of winter to me pretty much means 5 months of freezing temps and/or snow on the ground. We have talked about Michigan. I've looked up the areas in their "banana belt" on the west side and it seems doable at least as far as climate and finances are concerned. Our dollars will certainly stretch there but we know nothing about the Lake Michigan sailing, the communities and people there. I have never been to Michigan. Until we find the fit we are looking for we are planning to stay put or perhaps moving further south in AK. First though, we need to be looking in the right places.

I don't know if the atheist and Muslim comment was a jibe, but I really don't have an investment in what other's religions are or the lack thereof. It just isn't a concern of ours unless they get in our face about it. Like I said, live and let live is how we approach people that are different than we are.

I like to putter in my garden. We want to start a little orchard on a decent sized plot of land. My husband likes to build things and tinker with experimental ideas. We enjoy taking care of our dogs. I try to live up to the Girl scout motto in that I like leaving a place at least as good if not better than I found it. We want to do a little traveling. We like knocking about on the boat. We like fixing up houses with good bones. We like cooking and eating what we cook. We like getting to know our neighbors, sharing or trading our garden produce with them. That kind of thing. We want to fit into our community if we invest in living there.

So with that data in mind I appreciate the answers thus far. And for those that might know, will we fit in MI? Thanks in advance.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-31-2011, 01:06 AM

13,387 posts, read 16,963,848 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AK-Cathy View Post
We've beaten up the west coast pretty much. We like CA. (My DH was raised and still has family there.) We especially the climate and looks of northern CA but taxes will eat a hole in us and sailing in northern CA is pretty much the offshore type rather than coastal cruising. Love Oregon, especially southern Oregon but the sailing is again offshore, meaning way offshore. Puget Sound is perfect for our type of sailing (pretty much a lifetime of puttering about to be had exploring coves between Tacoma and Port Hardy) but 300K is cutting it on the slim side, meaning we can't afford to live as we've become accustomed to living in most of the Sound communities with sailing harbors.

We live in south-central Alaska and five months of winter to me pretty much means 5 months of freezing temps and/or snow on the ground. We have talked about Michigan. I've looked up the areas in their "banana belt" on the west side and it seems doable at least as far as climate and finances are concerned. Our dollars will certainly stretch there but we know nothing about the Lake Michigan sailing, the communities and people there. I have never been to Michigan. Until we find the fit we are looking for we are planning to stay put or perhaps moving further south in AK. First though, we need to be looking in the right places.

I don't know if the atheist and Muslim comment was a jibe, but I really don't have an investment in what other's religions are or the lack thereof. It just isn't a concern of ours unless they get in our face about it. Like I said, live and let live is how we approach people that are different than we are.

I like to putter in my garden. We want to start a little orchard on a decent sized plot of land. My husband likes to build things and tinker with experimental ideas. We enjoy taking care of our dogs. I try to live up to the Girl scout motto in that I like leaving a place at least as good if not better than I found it. We want to do a little traveling. We like knocking about on the boat. We like fixing up houses with good bones. We like cooking and eating what we cook. We like getting to know our neighbors, sharing or trading our garden produce with them. That kind of thing. We want to fit into our community if we invest in living there.

So with that data in mind I appreciate the answers thus far. And for those that might know, will we fit in MI? Thanks in advance.
I'm originally from N/W Michigan

Check out the Mi, forum:

Here's the Mi, picture thread:

WARNING, this thread is addictive:

Pics of Spectacular Michigan

Old 08-31-2011, 01:04 PM

58,728 posts, read 83,319,857 times
Outside of the winters, Ithaca NY would be perfect. Visitor Info | Visit Ithaca

Old 08-31-2011, 10:46 PM

419 posts, read 666,899 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mkfarnam View Post
I'm originally from N/W Michigan

Check out the Mi, forum:

Here's the Mi, picture thread:

WARNING, this thread is addictive:

Pics of Spectacular Michigan
I spent the first 29 years of my life around the Detroit area and finally Port Huron before leaving the state. I have been gone for 40 years but still miss the Detroit River, Lake St. Clair & Lake Huron. Every summer there is a huge festival in Port Huron prior to the start of the sail boat races to Mackinac Island.

Michigan is an incredibly beautiful state. Wonderful waterways and incredible soil for growing fruits & vegetables. And the people are the best ever.

To the OP, please do check out Michigan. It just might offer you most everything that you are looking for.

I am a single retiree and would move back to Michigan in a heartbeat if I had a buddy to tag along. Sadly, I have no family or friends remaining in Michigan.

Old 08-31-2011, 11:40 PM

13,387 posts, read 16,963,848 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SCBaker View Post
I spent the first 29 years of my life around the Detroit area and finally Port Huron before leaving the state. I have been gone for 40 years but still miss the Detroit River, Lake St. Clair & Lake Huron. Every summer there is a huge festival in Port Huron prior to the start of the sail boat races to Mackinac Island.

Michigan is an incredibly beautiful state. Wonderful waterways and incredible soil for growing fruits & vegetables.
And the people are the best ever.

To the OP, please do check out Michigan. It just might offer you most everything that you are looking for.

I am a single retiree and would move back to Michigan in a heartbeat if I had a buddy to tag along.
Sadly, I have no family or friends remaining in Michigan.
I'm about in the same position you are, and in most all aspects.
I have younger sisters that live in the Detroit area,
(Warren, Royal Oak, Roseville and Monroe)
I left Mi, in the early 70's because of a death in the family,
causing us kids to be split up. I was 15-16 and adventureous and on my own.
We never met again(in person) until 2004. I was 49-50.
By then we barely know each other and each had their own life to live,
So it was too late in life to reunite back the way it was.
Like you said, I too would need some support (a lot for that matter) to move back to Mi.
And as much as I hate to say it, IMO, I wouldn't expect
any from the family. Don't get me wrong, I'm not trying to condemn anyone,
that's just the way it is.
(I may be wrong, but I guess we'll never know)

Last edited by mkfarnam; 08-31-2011 at 11:53 PM..

Old 09-01-2011, 08:10 AM

58,728 posts, read 83,319,857 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ckhthankgod View Post
Outside of the winters, Ithaca NY would be perfect. Visitor Info | Visit Ithaca
Another place in NY, but the winters(especially the snow): The Official Web Site of the City of Oswego

and some others: The Village of Sackets Harbor NY - Experience the Treasures!

1000 Islands – Clayton Chamber of Commerce Online Vacation Planner for the Thousand Islands Region

Official Website: Alexandria Bay Chamber of Commerce, Thousand Islands NY
Alexandria Bay, NY

Thousand Islands | 1000 islands | Tourism Info | Images Thousand Islands Region
VISIT THE 1000 ISLANDS

City of Plattsburgh
Plattsburgh North Country Chamber of Commerce

Canandaigua Chamber of Commerce : Supporting tourism, a healthy business climate and responsible economic growth.
Canandaigua New York - Your Guide to Beautiful Downtown Canandaigua, NY
Canandaigua, NY*

http://www.soduspoint.info/
The Great Sodus Bay Association ~ Your Four-Season Get-away

Aurora Arts and Merchants Association

Watkins Glen - Finger Lakes NY
Village of Watkins Glen

Sylvan - Verona Beach Resort Association, Sylvan Beach, NY

Old 09-05-2011, 03:13 PM

4,729 posts, read 8,736,591 times
Cathy - you might want to look into NW Washington, either Skagit or Whatcom counties (up around Bellingham).

*You have access to Puget Sound for sailing.
*The taxes aren't completely horrible (at least not yet!).
*You should be able to find a nice house with a very big yard (maybe even some acreage) in your price range.
*It's not overpopulated like Seattle/King Co., and you'd have all of Snohomish Co as a buffer against (sub)urban sprawl.
*It's pretty rural without being completely remote. You should be able to enjoy most, if not all your hobbies & preferred lifestyle. But you'd still have easy access to Seattle for "fancy" stuff.
*The winters are chilly but not deep-freeze, anything more than a dusting of snow is rare.
*The summers are warm though not usually in the 90's for more than a few days here and there.
*ETA: Forgot water -- no shortage of water in any of PNW, but you have a high percentage of drizzly days (not always full rain).

Last edited by MissingAll4Seasons; 09-05-2011 at 03:32 PM..

Old 09-24-2011, 09:01 AM

5,044 posts, read 8,030,645 times
Have you looked into the New England coast? Winter's may be longer than you want, though.

By the way, Congratulations! Most of us in our early 50's are still looking at 15 - 20 more years of work!

Old 09-27-2011, 07:47 PM

2,283 posts, read 3,143,473 times
[quote=montanamom; By the way, Congratulations! Most of us in our early 50's are still looking at 15 - 20 more years of work![/QUOTE]

Thanks! Been out of internet connection for a over week moving. Right now I'm at a wifi bookstore fetching email and trying to "catch up" with a few regularly visited sites.

As for retiring, we wonder how we ever found 40 or more hours a week to work being so busy now with...work. Anyway I do know what you mean and we are grateful and feel lucky.

We closed on our house and will be heading down the road with two dogs in our pop-up bedroom on wheels and will work over WA, OR and NoCal again.

I've been looking up the threads folks provided time permitting and I see that there are certainly some lovely areas out there. Thanks again to you all.

Old 10-06-2011, 08:35 AM

756 posts, read 852,816 times
Well, that leaves out the area around San Antonio.It got in the hundreds here this summer.You could take your boat to Canyon lake or Lake Austin, or go down to Corpus Christi.You could check out some of the towns around the Texas gulf coast,like Port Lavaca,which is about 80 or 90 miles from the Gulf, or some place Like Aransas Pass or Rockport.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Rural and Small Town Living
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or