U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Rural and Small Town Living
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-06-2011, 09:12 PM

13,387 posts, read 16,963,848 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by fritos56 View Post
Well, that leaves out the area around San Antonio.It got in the hundreds here this summer.You could take your boat to Canyon lake or Lake Austin, or go down to Corpus Christi.You could check out some of the towns around the Texas gulf coast,like Port Lavaca,which is about 80 or 90 miles from the Gulf, or some place Like Aransas Pass or Rockport.
It wasn't much different here in Oklahoma.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-10-2011, 06:47 AM

2,283 posts, read 3,143,473 times
I'm pretty sure that Texas would be too hot during the summer. I have a very hard time dealing with extreme heat after so many years in the north. I visited San Antonio in early April and have been in the El Paso area (Las Cruces NM) in the winter and found the temperature to be pretty nice but it only goes up from there....

Old 10-10-2011, 03:17 PM

14,111 posts, read 10,128,056 times
The only place I can think of that might meet your needs is Lynnhaven Bay in Virginia Beach, VA.
You can do it all there - - -
gardening (excellent),
sailing (we have a blue-water boat that will come with us) - head to the Chesapeake, hang right - see Atlantic Ocean.
building and tinkering,
reading, films,
renewable energy.

It has four seasons, but not extreme.
Downside - expensive.

Old 10-11-2011, 10:13 AM

41,490 posts, read 52,115,106 times
I suggest the seacoast of New England. Property is really pricy in Connecticut but less so as you move north. I would check out the Greenland area of NH on the Great Bay. Deep water access to the Atlantic through Portsmouth and is not all that expensive. Then there is Down East along the coast of Maine.

Old 10-12-2011, 08:08 AM

31,147 posts, read 50,318,661 times
Maine has over 3,000 miles of ocean coastline. Dozens of rivers flow into the ocean. Homes on the coast can be expensive, but if you follow any of the rivers inland a bit the prices drop.

We were initially looking to buy land with water frontage on a navigable river. But I got distracted.

Winter: there certainly is a snow belt [where they routinely get huge dumps of snow], though we are pretty far North of it.

We normally see snow from December through to March. One storm once a week giving us 3 inches to as much as 8 inches. Followed by a week of clear sunny skies. By 1 March the snow is usually receding, and patches of green are showing. By the end of March the only snow you can find is under the forest canopy where sunlight can not reach.

Mostly rural, our biggest city is 66,000 people. The majority of our townships are small enough that they are not 'organized'. No mayor, no town clerk, no tax collector, etc. With nobody on payroll, most Maine townships' taxes are lower.

Downside is we have very few jobs. Nothing to do with the current nationwide recession, Maine has been in a localized recession for a number of decades.

If you like access to blue water; forest; lots of rivers, lakes and ponds; low home prices; low taxes; and a low cost-of-living; Maine may be a place to look.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Rural and Small Town Living
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or