U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Rural and Small Town Living
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Reply Start New Thread
 
Old 08-29-2011, 12:59 PM
 
Location: Connecticut is my adopted home.
2,283 posts, read 3,143,084 times
Reputation: 7091

Advertisements

We sold our house and are looking for a place in the USA with a smaller population of 75K or under, preferably around 10K. We are retired in our early 50s and don't need to work in a moderate (non-expensive) economy.

Our interests are gardening, sailing (we have a blue-water boat that will come with us) building and tinkering, reading, films, renewable energy. Our budget for property will be around 300K, more for the right place that is move-in ready.

We are independent, apolitical and non-religious, preferring to live and let live. We are looking for a climate that isn't too hot (95+) in the summer nor one that has 5 months of winter, that has adequate water, is relatively environmentally clean and safe. As I type this, it seems impossible.

Any ideas?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 08-30-2011, 03:30 AM
 
Location: North Cackelacky....in the hills.
19,556 posts, read 19,542,573 times
Reputation: 2499
The sailing part is a problem,especially when combined with wanting it not to be too hot or have long winters.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 08-30-2011, 09:26 AM
 
Location: Oklahoma(formerly SoCalif) Originally Mich,
13,387 posts, read 16,962,646 times
Reputation: 4611
Quote:
Originally Posted by AK-Cathy View Post
We sold our house and are looking for a place in the USA with a smaller population of 75K or under, preferably around 10K. We are retired in our early 50s and don't need to work in a moderate (non-expensive) economy.

Our interests are gardening, sailing (we have a blue-water boat that will come with us) building and tinkering, reading, films, renewable energy. Our budget for property will be around 300K, more for the right place that is move-in ready.

We are independent, apolitical and non-religious, preferring to live and let live. We are looking for a climate that isn't too hot (95+) in the summer nor one that has 5 months of winter, that has adequate water, is relatively environmentally clean and safe. As I type this, it seems impossible.

Any ideas?
Here's an Idea.
You could equip your boat with a library of books and CD/DVD's and a player along with a propane operated generator(there's your, reading, films and renewable energy). Launch it on the Mississippi (there's your water) float down the river
checking places out until you find a low population area with Athiests,Islamics and/orMusslems who are fighting to gain support in this country (there's your low population, politics and non-religion).
You'll need to negotiate with mother nature about the seasons.

Last edited by mkfarnam; 08-30-2011 at 09:39 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 08-30-2011, 09:47 AM
 
Location: Petticoat Junction
930 posts, read 1,665,641 times
Reputation: 1499
I'd suggest a lake area in Tennessee, or Lake Guntersville in northern Alabama. I'm near Lake Eufaula in SE Alabama, but I don't think it would meet your <95* requirement.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 08-30-2011, 10:23 AM
 
Location: West Michigan
12,083 posts, read 34,587,197 times
Reputation: 16866
Quote:
Originally Posted by AK-Cathy View Post
We sold our house and are looking for a place in the USA with a smaller population of 75K or under, preferably around 10K. We are retired in our early 50s and don't need to work in a moderate (non-expensive) economy.

Our interests are gardening, sailing (we have a blue-water boat that will come with us) building and tinkering, reading, films, renewable energy. Our budget for property will be around 300K, more for the right place that is move-in ready.

We are independent, apolitical and non-religious, preferring to live and let live. We are looking for a climate that isn't too hot (95+) in the summer nor one that has 5 months of winter, that has adequate water, is relatively environmentally clean and safe. As I type this, it seems impossible.

Any ideas?
Well considering you will have a blue-water sailboat and want to sail it, that will limit you to either on one of the Coasts or the Great Lakes. I don't think you would be happy sailing a bluewater sail down the Mississippi or one of the inland lakes under a few thousand square miles in size. If your screen name is an indication of where you are coming from (AK for Alaska I am assuming) then one of the Great Lakes just may do well for you. If you mean 5 months of winter as snow on the ground then you would be safe anywhere in the lower Peninsula of Michigan and I would make an argument for Holland, MI (No I don't live in Holland, I just really like the city.) If you mean less than 5 months of lower than 50+ average high temps, then about the only place that comes to mind that might meet that and be less than 95 in the summer would be California right on the coast.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 08-30-2011, 10:35 AM
 
Location: Oklahoma(formerly SoCalif) Originally Mich,
13,387 posts, read 16,962,646 times
Reputation: 4611
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bydand View Post
Well considering you will have a blue-water sailboat and want to sail it, that will limit you to either on one of the Coasts or the Great Lakes. I don't think you would be happy sailing a bluewater sail down the Mississippi or one of the inland lakes under a few thousand square miles in size. If your screen name is an indication of where you are coming from (AK for Alaska I am assuming) then one of the Great Lakes just may do well for you. If you mean 5 months of winter as snow on the ground then you would be safe anywhere in the lower Peninsula of Michigan and I would make an argument for Holland, MI (No I don't live in Holland, I just really like the city.) If you mean less than 5 months of lower than 50+ average high temps, then about the only place that comes to mind that might meet that and be less than 95 in the summer would be California right on the coast.
Why do you like Holland, Mi.? Because of the Farm Equipment, or because Obama recently made a speech there?..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 08-30-2011, 12:54 PM
 
Location: the Beaver State
6,467 posts, read 11,721,706 times
Reputation: 3542
Some places along the Oregon Coast might be up your alley. There are several inland lakes big enough to sail on, plus there is easy access to the ocean if you want to sail there.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 08-30-2011, 02:25 PM
 
Location: West Michigan
12,083 posts, read 34,587,197 times
Reputation: 16866
Quote:
Originally Posted by mkfarnam View Post
Why do you like Holland, Mi.? Because of the Farm Equipment, or because Obama recently made a speech there?..
Neither. I like it because it has a decent growing economy, good people, and a great location.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 08-30-2011, 03:12 PM
 
373 posts, read 555,848 times
Reputation: 243
Default Cluborlov

AK Cathy,

You likely already know Cluborlov.com Orlov lives with his wife and cat aboard a sailboat in Boston Harbor, with solar panels.

Never expect to own a sail boat myself, but Orlov writes well about his experiences. He is concerned the USA is being run alot like the Old Soviet Union and could have similar fate. Incredible sense of humour.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 08-30-2011, 03:34 PM
 
Location: Oklahoma(formerly SoCalif) Originally Mich,
13,387 posts, read 16,962,646 times
Reputation: 4611
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bydand View Post
Neither. I like it because it has a decent growing economy, good people, and a great location.
We bought all our farming equipment there and our live stock in Copmish Mi.(auctions)
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Rural and Small Town Living
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6.

© 2005-2019, Advameg, Inc. · Please obey Forum Rules · Terms of Use and Privacy Policy · Bug Bounty

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top