Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Rural and Small Town Living
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-31-2011, 09:05 PM

4,932 posts, read 12,758,700 times

Advertisements

So I live in a boring rural un-incorporated community. I've had my fair shair of heart aches living here. My parents moved here when I was six from Oxnard, a worker class community with a gang problem in Southern California. When I was 18, I moved away to attend CSU Northridge in the San Fernando Valley region of Los Angeles. Thinking that living in the city would change my life and bring me male role models and popularity, I found everything but that. So my heart ache had continued there. So I ended up going back home and continued life with my friends here. But I AM SO SICK OF HERE! There is no way I am moving back to Los Angeles, but I wouldn't mind moving to the nearby college 25 minutes away. The one thing I miss in larger communities is the open-ness to diversity. All though even though our largest town has 45,000 population it's very white. 85% white, 5% asian, and the rest is a mix of other races. But I feel more accepted in that ocmmunity. And it has more shops and dining places found in larger cities like Macy's, Olive Garden, Costco, Best Buy, Talbots, Pottery Barn, Gap, Barnes N Nobles, Sephora, Abercrombie and Fitch, Banana Republic, Apple, and others. It also has a very good bus system. A downtown with buildings up to 75 ft tall.

It's everything I can imagine. All though, I can imagine living in a larger community in a suburban development neighbors aren't as friendly in my town and there is more burgalry crimes and more traffic. But I feel it would be more worth it. Living in a college town, that has a beautiful coastal mountain range scenery and many outdoor activities. And meeting people from different career fields.

So does anyone else feel my way?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-01-2011, 02:06 PM

1,890 posts, read 2,653,495 times
No.

Old 09-01-2011, 02:21 PM

Location: Finally escaped The People's Republic of California
11,314 posts, read 8,654,334 times
No

Old 09-01-2011, 02:24 PM

373 posts, read 635,277 times
Default Get a street legal dirt bike

Quote:
Originally Posted by the city View Post
So I live in a boring rural un-incorporated community. I've had my fair shair of heart aches living here. My parents moved here when I was six from Oxnard, a worker class community with a gang problem in Southern California. When I was 18, I moved away to attend CSU Northridge in the San Fernando Valley region of Los Angeles. Thinking that living in the city would change my life and bring me male role models and popularity, I found everything but that. So my heart ache had continued there. So I ended up going back home and continued life with my friends here. But I AM SO SICK OF HERE! There is no way I am moving back to Los Angeles, but I wouldn't mind moving to the nearby college 25 minutes away. The one thing I miss in larger communities is the open-ness to diversity. All though even though our largest town has 45,000 population it's very white. 85% white, 5% asian, and the rest is a mix of other races. But I feel more accepted in that ocmmunity. And it has more shops and dining places found in larger cities like Macy's, Olive Garden, Costco, Best Buy, Talbots, Pottery Barn, Gap, Barnes N Nobles, Sephora, Abercrombie and Fitch, Banana Republic, Apple, and others. It also has a very good bus system. A downtown with buildings up to 75 ft tall.

It's everything I can imagine. All though, I can imagine living in a larger community in a suburban development neighbors aren't as friendly in my town and there is more burgalry crimes and more traffic. But I feel it would be more worth it. Living in a college town, that has a beautiful coastal mountain range scenery and many outdoor activities. And meeting people from different career fields.

Get a street legal smaller motorcyle for exploring back roads. Interlibrary loan offers books from anywhere in the USA including LIbrary of Congress. It usually costs nothing.

IN these times going to College is alot more expensive. If you borrow money it can follow you for life at credit card interest rates and penalties. Many students are in a hurry and just do the minimum to get a good grade in the course.

Nassim Taleb in "The Black Swan" has a great deal of overlap from my own reading list over the years. Many are well known in the academic world, some are not PC at all and kept under wraps. It is a book worth buying not only for the read, but the bibliography.

It is a very good idea to have some kind of a degree. Unless it is a more technical field no one will likely ever ask about course matter. But goes along way in convincing gatekeepers your not likely a bad person.

As far as stores go you can get many of the items in a good thrift shop or now on EBAY. I only bought from the finer stores....

There are likely far fewer white working class areas now. If you can tolerate some crime and squaler, you can have a much nicer home as in something a Medical Doctor may have owned. Or a modest place that works out fine. Like wild animals most criminals are really afraid of people.

The suburbs can be rather tense places due to equity loss and job instablity. Often alot of payments and alot of grief if anything goes wrong.
Some of the most vicious and menacing poor people live suburbs with HOA's. They just don't grasp how poor and ignorant they are;but do have an idea of how tenuous their situtation is.

As far as diversity goes most people who can't claim descent from the founders, are not as bad as many think they are or as nice as taught in the media or school. Some of the smarter people from India and China among others are the competition for middle class jobs and business. People South of the border for alot of working class jobs. Much of the culture of better paid working class jobs has greatly shrunk.

One of the biggest questions to address is both how to compete in a global economy as well as increasingly third world condtions in the USA. A few rich at the top with most people poor or otherwise uncertain lives with a dumbed down education system.Not alot of room for middle class people.

Make your choices with care and forethought

Old 09-01-2011, 02:27 PM

35,309 posts, read 52,292,554 times
Just spent 3 hours battling big city traffic to get not very far. small town? you dont know how good you've got it...

Old 09-01-2011, 03:01 PM

9,614 posts, read 21,265,040 times
You got something against white folks?

Old 09-01-2011, 09:23 PM

4,932 posts, read 12,758,700 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by duster1979 View Post
You got something against white folks?
Yes, many whites get too sheltered and get too much in a shell. They don't know what some white folks go through or how hard life is a new immigrant or non-caucasian living in a primary caucasian area.
Quote:
Originally Posted by 1957TabbyCat View Post
Get a street legal smaller motorcyle for exploring back roads. Interlibrary loan offers books from anywhere in the USA including LIbrary of Congress. It usually costs nothing.

I usually recreationally read once a year. And I have no interest in riding motorcyles, nor do I care about driving back roads. I'd rather cruise boulevards in suburban areas.

IN these times going to College is alot more expensive. If you borrow money it can follow you for life at credit card interest rates and penalties. Many students are in a hurry and just do the minimum to get a good grade in the course.

I went to community college first, and my parents have money saved up for me enough to pay my 2-3 years at a state college.

Nassim Taleb in "The Black Swan" has a great deal of overlap from my own reading list over the years. Many are well known in the academic world, some are not PC at all and kept under wraps. It is a book worth buying not only for the read, but the bibliography.

It is a very good idea to have some kind of a degree. Unless it is a more technical field no one will likely ever ask about course matter. But goes along way in convincing gatekeepers your not likely a bad person.

As far as stores go you can get many of the items in a good thrift shop or now on EBAY. I only bought from the finer stores....

Thrfit stores are stereotypically for people who can't afford new, infashion clothing. I don't shop every season, but when I do shop I make sure to get something new. My trendy clothing style matches my personality and my body type.

There are likely far fewer white working class areas now. If you can tolerate some crime and squaler, you can have a much nicer home as in something a Medical Doctor may have owned. Or a modest place that works out fine. Like wild animals most criminals are really afraid of people.

The suburbs can be rather tense places due to equity loss and job instablity. Often alot of payments and alot of grief if anything goes wrong.

I didn't know this. My aunt lives in a suburb in Orange County and is seems almost picture perfect. A couple burgarlies in the area, new schools, new homes, two story homes, a mall, chains and a couple local businesses, big box stores, freeways, parks, smart kids, many conservatives, etc....

Some of the most vicious and menacing poor people live suburbs with HOA's. They just don't grasp how poor and ignorant they are;but do have an idea of how tenuous their situtation is.

As far as diversity goes most people who can't claim descent from the founders, are not as bad as many think they are or as nice as taught in the media or school. Some of the smarter people from India and China among others are the competition for middle class jobs and business. People South of the border for alot of working class jobs. Much of the culture of better paid working class jobs has greatly shrunk.

One of the biggest questions to address is both how to compete in a global economy as well as increasingly third world condtions in the USA. A few rich at the top with most people poor or otherwise uncertain lives with a dumbed down education system.Not alot of room for middle class people.

Make your choices with care and forethought

The USA still has the most of amount of freedom and has more professional jobs. The USA wants immigrants with degrees now, not working class jobs as you mentioned. Were also still one of the wealthiest nations out there. 800+ Macy's stores, several hundred each of Nordstroms, 100+ Bloomingdales and other highest end, and 800+ Costco. Not to mention the large amount of organic grocery stores. 300 Whole Foods I believe. And plenty of restauraunts with pricey items. Especially coastal areas have many wealthy people. California, Illinois, New York, and Florida have the most amount of wealthy people. Beverley Hills, San Francisco, San Diego, Orange County suburbs, and Santa Monica come to mind in California.

Last edited by the city; 09-01-2011 at 09:37 PM..

Old 09-01-2011, 09:48 PM

11,535 posts, read 30,259,477 times
I've lived in LA and Chicago and a lot of other places. Few towns in the whole world are as open, racially diverse, and offer so much via entertainment, education and quality medical care, and things to do as LA and SoCal. SF has the largest Asian community in America.

If you want top earn much more than minimum wage in todays market you need a masters or a very good game. It is a buyer's market and the headhunters are very picky.

Seniors and older adults move to rural America for the very reasons you do not want to stay. If you want to remain near your parents go to school, learn to be your own best friend, find a group, new hobby, new skill and a reason to not be bored. The gods of fate and luck will deal the rest of the deck .

Old 09-02-2011, 01:34 AM

3,113 posts, read 8,378,530 times
Quote:
So my heart ache had continued there.
Moving won't fix that. There is no place on earth that will make an unhappy person suddenly happy. You should probably move for other reasons, but don't expect the act of moving to solve all your problems.

Quote:
my parents have money saved up for me enough to pay my 2-3 years at a state college.
Then go! Finishing school is the very best thing you can do - and it sounds like you're hungry for more - so go out and get it!

Old 09-02-2011, 02:45 AM

27,957 posts, read 39,771,359 times
Quote:
No.

Quote:

No matter where you live, your attitude and how you coduct yourself will have more to do with your outcome than your enviroment. Meaning the choices you make have more to do it than anything.

For what you're looking for is chain stores and cookie cutter layouts?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Rural and Small Town Living