U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Rural and Small Town Living
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-05-2011, 08:49 AM

521 posts, read 1,010,540 times

Advertisements

I've been reading all the stories & articles lately about how many people who lost their power, didn't have a single Utility truck come out to the area in southern New England, which is Connecticut.... they thought to get all the folks in western CT all back on power, but on the coast, which does have some rich folks but not half as many as western CT, there's a lot of poorer folks over there.
Plus too, there is the Labor Day Weekend which is here, and WHY didn't they THINK to start fixing the power out THAT WAY, on the coast, where so MANY people want to go for vacation, relaxation, or just a trip to the beach???
Now, CL&P says they're going to "charge" their CT customer MORE money, cuz of the storm, when I was readin that so MANY of their CL&P workers, did NOT want to go out and fix stuff after Hurricane Irene!

I just cannot believe how negligent and hateful and indifferent and totally inconsiderate so many people in CT are nowadays!
Now, don't twist my words, i'm not talking about ALL the folks in CT, cuz there's certainly some good ones runnign around.. but the ones in power, or who WORK for the power companies, couldn't care LESS about others!
I see this all the time.. the water company wants to over charge their customer by hundreds....even if you've taken a vacation and are not there during the time of the high water bills... the gas company wants to charge you over $100 for a bill you didn't even OWE them!
The governor, while he said he was going to be getting the economy back on track, isn't doing much at all, though at least HE did also, mention, that he was upset at how LONG the electric co. in CT was taking to even TRY fix all the major damage from the storm.

It just sounds like to be that CT has become a major He##-Hole and you'd be better off, to not even VISIT here, let alone come and live!
And the dangerous situations, that exist in this state, they jsut had just YET another bicyclist killed by a negligent drunk driver... I was reading, and the guy on the bike was 56 years old and this happened in broad daylight!

People are so darn reckless here, in CT! So, inconsiderate, there's SO many ripoff artist, be it, the major utilities companies, companies run by individuals.. someone ought to do a movie on this state about this!!
Gawd! This is past awful.. it's just shameful! I heard this guy on the news who was SO ticked off, about the elec. co's not doing ANYTHING about the power outages he was wanting Government HEARINGS on the matter!
And I cannot say I blame him either.. WHY should the customers of CL&P even have to THINK about paying EXTRA for a storm they didn't create, that the power co. won't do anything about for weeks on end???
That makes no sense. You think of ALL the business that LOST business this past week, cuz their power wasn't on....CL&P, are you going to pay THEM back??
I doubt it...
Well, if you find CT a very negligent and hateful place to live, come post here, and give us your story, if you wish...

Old 09-05-2011, 11:17 AM

48,516 posts, read 85,110,846 times
In the end any cost to repair the lines etc will be passed on ;who did you think pays for the power and cost of maintainence .no matter the reason it happened. Insurance will also be going up;as its a risk pool.Otherwise i don't see understand much of your post really.If you think it's just crews from your electric company that is working ;then you don't really know what is happening, As a example locally we have 80 crews that went to New jersey which has an agreement with electric company to do so in a emergency. There will be crews from around the nation up and down the coast depending on agreements. It's always a big job and in some cases it requires that other work such as cleanup and roadways be worked on first for access. Then there are priorities by the number of people a repair will get back into service; there always are. So the mosy populated areas will be power first and within those areas the businesses needed to service people are given priority. Perhaps you should volunteer as a first responder then you might understand more about what a massive job it is and the priorities. Basically it's easy to complain while others even from other states are missing their own hollidays to get that power back on to you and others. Easy to gripe but many don't have time they are too busy.

Last edited by Green Irish Eyes; 09-05-2011 at 11:35 AM..

Old 09-05-2011, 11:40 AM

2,533 posts, read 6,516,970 times
Well sometime back I was chided for my opinion on CT,had somewhat the same feeling.We bought a foreclosure in Vernon and thought we had a chance of assessment and taxes being lowered,they so much as thumbed there nose at us.We had proof house was sold for $109,000 in 2006 and again awhile later.We were assessed at $173,000 and taxed at $3800 on a 1000 sq ft home,24 by 30.
The electric useage cost was one figure and add on's doubled total cost.Between this and other taxes,cost of other taxes and expense on registering vehicle we did sell.As for power outage we have always had generator as backup.I always thought utilities had a backup disaster fund??I know what disaster means,worked HELCO 55 flood,SNET 56,ice storm.
CT government took advantage of bubble and do not know how to cut back,only more taxes.
Our families are life long residents and we wanted to return to be with them.We still are looking and watching to see what the future might bring.If housing market continues decline we probably will reconsider.I do not see much of a recovery for CT.
I do not believe Ct is a ripoff,they are caught by the tail and only know how to tax.

Old 09-05-2011, 12:39 PM

521 posts, read 1,010,540 times
Default well, if you didn't like it so much, you moved, then don't be criticizing me!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bydand View Post
LOL, no-one is P&M'ing. Really, you really think you're not? LOL

New England...yeah, I spent 20 years there, why? When I didn't like it anymore, I moved.... simple concept really. I have lots of friends who still live in CT.

Obviously you didn't think it was a great place to live either..
have you done any homework on how much it costs to move?

cuz it costs up to $1000 or more to move in many cases...
CT is sucking its residents dry!

yeah, it doesn't know what to do, besides tax the bejessus out of us, and welcome corrupt companies like Cigna in here...
Good luck with that Bloomfield.. After seeing Michael's Moore's movies about the corrupt ins. companies, do you really think I'll be doing ANY business at all in the town of Bloomfield?
Yeah, keep inviting all the corrupt companies in this state, CT, you're GOOD at that! And then see how many middle class residents, whom are the majority of the state, actually WANT to live here anymore...
Since you got scores of Section 8 housing folks & rich people who know how to avoid paying taxes in many cases, you'll be scrambling to get many taxes paid...

Old 09-05-2011, 02:48 PM

4,729 posts, read 8,736,591 times
Off-topic for this forum. The tone is also hostile and instigating. Closing thread before it devolves any further into a flame war.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Rural and Small Town Living