U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Rural and Small Town Living
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Reply Start New Thread
 
Old 09-07-2011, 11:59 PM
 
Location: North Cackelacky....in the hills.
19,556 posts, read 19,543,794 times
Reputation: 2499

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by newbie22 View Post
back to the land people make things expensive?
Yes,they oftentimes do just that,by overpaying and driving prices up...


Quote:
I suppose all the folks arounf asheville doing amazing work for this planet are just artsy fartsy huh?
LOL...amazing work?You mean by 'caring' and eating soy ice cream brought home in a hemp shopping bag?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 09-08-2011, 02:56 AM
 
Location: Forests of Maine
31,147 posts, read 50,318,661 times
Reputation: 19849
Quote:
Originally Posted by newbie22 View Post
back to the land people make things expensive? homeschooling co-ops ..... homeschooling is available 100% of places its your right. ...
I do not see how 'back-to-the-land' makes anything more expensive.

There is a greater focus on barter. This spring I ended up working for a lady an entire day rebuilding her fences, when all I wanted to do was to buy a hen. But she lives on barter, so I had to re-adjust my mind.

In the end, I got the hen and some chicks, and some nut trees, and some grape vines, and a few gallons of canned peaches, and a friendship.



As to homeschooling, a few less institutionalized children, can not harm anything.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 09-08-2011, 06:51 AM
 
83 posts, read 78,349 times
Reputation: 28
Quote:
Originally Posted by oz in SC View Post
Yes,they oftentimes do just that,by overpaying and driving prices up...



LOL...amazing work?You mean by 'caring' and eating soy ice cream brought home in a hemp shopping bag?
OZ, no disrespect but I think you may be a bit confused between what I am looking for and a bunch of yuppies with chips on their shoulders about "green" they are.......... I fail to see a connection or even any validity to the idea of folks wanting to live off the land paying too much......not the developers looking to build 500 houses on 200 acres???? secondly the soy ice cream and being nice seems a bit like you have an image in your head that all people here fit in the same box?? Asheville has some amazing things going on and some amazing people. There is alternative currency here, organized credit clearing systems to avoid money transactions, tons of educational things from organic growers school to alternative building demos etc.....no not the hemp bag (although hemp is very important to our future) but are you gonna knock hemp houses??? I could continue a list 2 pages long. I mean yeah there is lots of people trying too hard and playing a role but there is alot more to it.......You just don't see the real folks walking around downtown shopping.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 09-08-2011, 07:02 AM
 
83 posts, read 78,349 times
Reputation: 28
Quote:
Originally Posted by forest beekeeper View Post
I do not see how 'back-to-the-land' makes anything more expensive.

There is a greater focus on barter. This spring I ended up working for a lady an entire day rebuilding her fences, when all I wanted to do was to buy a hen. But she lives on barter, so I had to re-adjust my mind.

In the end, I got the hen and some chicks, and some nut trees, and some grape vines, and a few gallons of canned peaches, and a friendship.



As to homeschooling, a few less institutionalized children, can not harm anything.
I totally agree. In the past 12 months I have gotten the following through barter or trade or something else not involving a single dollar. 700 dollars worth of fruit trees and plants from a nursery. 10 gallons of organic fresh picked blueberries Pictures of my family by a professional photographer Permaculture design consultation 3 days of work from a re-modeler all of my childrens clothes probably 50-60 plants from multiple people several pieces of custom artwork 90% of the fuel for my vehicle (waste veg oil) a list of building supplies hours of work in my garden from other people a tattoo I could continue......The list is equally long for things I have given or traded back including building of a storage shed etc etc Getting things without money is the biggest hurdle we americans have in being able to weather the spiraling downard economy that like will never return because its all based on consumerism and no one has jobs... Just my 2 cents
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 09-08-2011, 07:46 AM
 
Location: North Cackelacky....in the hills.
19,556 posts, read 19,543,794 times
Reputation: 2499
Quote:
Originally Posted by newbie22 View Post
OZ, no disrespect but I think you may be a bit confused between what I am looking for and a bunch of yuppies with chips on their shoulders about "green" they are..........
Well you don't come across as the typical(if there is such a thing) Homesteader type....you do sound like you want a place that has amenities and is also rural and progressive and...you get what I am saying?

Quote:
I fail to see a connection or even any validity to the idea of folks wanting to live off the land paying too much......not the developers looking to build 500 houses on 200 acres????
Because it happens?All those places you think suitable are priced out ofthe range of you,why is that?

We looked for land for 5 years or so,we started out with the idea of a cabin hidden away in the mountains,then realised how that wouldn't suit our planned life,we realised soon enough we needed land capable of small sustainable farming,not farmland either.
Like minded types would be nice,but is in the scheme of things less important than the land and the possibilities for making a life there.




Quote:
secondly the soy ice cream and being nice seems a bit like you have an image in your head that all people here fit in the same box?? Asheville has some amazing things going on and some amazing people.
Okay,I found those who follow the crowd a bit herd like....they wanted to be there because others like them are there...kind of like sheep.

Quote:
There is alternative currency here, organized credit clearing systems to avoid money transactions, tons of educational things from organic growers school to alternative building demos etc.....no not the hemp bag (although hemp is very important to our future) but are you gonna knock hemp houses??? I could continue a list 2 pages long.
I don't care what others do...as long as they are doing and not pretending to do...and a lot are.

Quote:
I mean yeah there is lots of people trying too hard and playing a role but there is alot more to it.......You just don't see the real folks walking around downtown shopping.
Okay.

Here in this little conservative patch we have a lady just up the road who is building strawbale I believe,we have some other types doing pastured chickens.There is a lot of alternative thoughts without all the hype and dreads.....

To be honest,if I had my way I would prefer to live next to Amish and Mennonites....almost all of them live the life.

So...back to your question...

How much you want to pay and what do you want on the land?
Do you want power,well or city water,etc?
DO you need woods?
How much arable land do you need?
What do you plan to DO with the land-veggies,pasture,livestock?

Politics and worldviews/opinions in the end are unimportant,it is simply something to pass the time.
Finding 'your place' is much more important as is doing what you want to do.

So no more discussion of artsy fartsies...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 09-08-2011, 08:38 AM
 
83 posts, read 78,349 times
Reputation: 28
Quote:
Originally Posted by oz in SC View Post
Well you don't come across as the typical(if there is such a thing) Homesteader type....you do sound like you want a place that has amenities and is also rural and progressive and...you get what I am saying?


Because it happens?All those places you think suitable are priced out ofthe range of you,why is that?

We looked for land for 5 years or so,we started out with the idea of a cabin hidden away in the mountains,then realised how that wouldn't suit our planned life,we realised soon enough we needed land capable of small sustainable farming,not farmland either.
Like minded types would be nice,but is in the scheme of things less important than the land and the possibilities for making a life there.





Okay,I found those who follow the crowd a bit herd like....they wanted to be there because others like them are there...kind of like sheep.


I don't care what others do...as long as they are doing and not pretending to do...and a lot are.


Okay.

Here in this little conservative patch we have a lady just up the road who is building strawbale I believe,we have some other types doing pastured chickens.There is a lot of alternative thoughts without all the hype and dreads.....

To be honest,if I had my way I would prefer to live next to Amish and Mennonites....almost all of them live the life.

So...back to your question...

How much you want to pay and what do you want on the land?
Do you want power,well or city water,etc?
DO you need woods?
How much arable land do you need?
What do you plan to DO with the land-veggies,pasture,livestock?

Politics and worldviews/opinions in the end are unimportant,it is simply something to pass the time.
Finding 'your place' is much more important as is doing what you want to do.

So no more discussion of artsy fartsies...
not sure what you mean by not coming across as a homesteader???? I dont find wanting accesss to a heal food store asking for amenities. I raise pastured chickens and ducks, I study permaculture, garden organic etc etc. I also have children so some, by no means all, people on the same plane would be very nice for raising children. That being said I fully understand the sheep comment and def see that point you have. Also an area with rural folks like you mentioned building strawbale, raising pastured meats, etc is exactly what I am looking for..... remember in the op I said people wont want to share secrets.....asheville is no secret nor are many of the othe places I was refering to. they are sore of alternative mecas if you will and perhaps "yuppies " flocking there drive prices up.....2nd point taken..... I am looking for good honest, people, sustainable people, people who know life is changing and we need to adapt to survive etc.......I dont need to live in a eco oasis but I also dont want to be the "crazy hippy" people laugh at for shunning round up if you get my drift. Part of this whole idea for me is that we cant all survive alone. we will need our neighbors again in the future and a community of people preparing to handle this future is a very positive thing in my opinion. FWIW I have lived in Amish country and they don't all live the life to be honest. The old world amish do. Ive seen horse drawn pesticide sprayers, amish builders who pay "regular" folks to drive them around etc. Also its nearly impossible to be much more than casual without it taking years and years
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 09-08-2011, 08:55 AM
 
Location: Forests of Maine
31,147 posts, read 50,318,661 times
Reputation: 19849
newbie22

I re-read the OP, and I think I see where the idea of municipal services got into people's minds.

Quote:
... progressive / like minded folks ... we dont want city life but do like culture and access to things like healthy food stores, progressive folks, homeschoolers


First I need to explain though, in my state's sub-forum we routinely get folks coming to our state wanting rural peace and affordable lifestyles. Then they ask about 'culture'. One way or another it seems that 'culture' means a combinations of different things.

From what I have heard described by people in that forum 'culture' seems to be expressed as:

urban bike trail / paths where you can go for an evening stroll, listen to violins and where there are a selection of open-air cafes and pubs along the path.

night clubs,

city parks that host bands,

and museums.



There are times when forums are a poor communication media. Other people do not know what you mean when you use a phrase, they guess.

Perhaps saying 'culture', 'progressive' and "access to..." is what got others into thinking urban.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 09-08-2011, 09:01 AM
 
Location: North Cackelacky....in the hills.
19,556 posts, read 19,543,794 times
Reputation: 2499
Quote:
Originally Posted by newbie22 View Post
not sure what you mean by not coming across as a homesteader???? I dont find wanting accesss to a heal food store asking for amenities.
One of the problems with internet conversations,meanings get lost.


Quote:
I raise pastured chickens and ducks, I study permaculture, garden organic etc etc.
We have nothing as of yet,just finally(FINALLY) got up here a few months back...will probably not do ducks,although they are quite tasty.
Chooks are a definite.
Goats,or more likely a hair breed of sheep next.
Then hogs.
Then my dream of raising longhorn cattle.

Quote:
I also have children so some, by no means all, people on the same plane would be very nice for raising children.
Okay,this is beyond my scope,we don't have chilluns.


Quote:
That being said I fully understand the sheep comment and def see that point you have. Also an area with rural folks like you mentioned building strawbale, raising pastured meats, etc is exactly what I am looking for.....
I think you could make a go of it here,or further north in Golden Valley...

Quote:
remember in the op I said people wont want to share secrets.....asheville is no secret nor are many of the othe places I was refering to. they are sore of alternative mecas if you will and perhaps "yuppies " flocking there drive prices up.....
That was my point I was getting at,the 'good places' known for homesteading/alternative living are now not...LOL

Quote:
2nd point taken..... I am looking for good honest, people, sustainable people, people who know life is changing and we need to adapt to survive etc.......I dont need to live in a eco oasis but I also dont want to be the "crazy hippy" people laugh at for shunning round up if you get my drift.
Well...we are probably looked at oddly,I wear my Hawaiian shirts and flip flops(the name we will call our farm-Flip Flop Farm),we read books and plan to do things our way.
I have found that people here might think it odd,but they also don't seem to CARE what you do...it is refreshing to say the least.
Plus there have been the crazy hippy types around for forty years now,people are used to them.

Quote:
Part of this whole idea for me is that we cant all survive alone. we will need our neighbors again in the future and a community of people preparing to handle this future is a very positive thing in my opinion.
Yes,I agree,thing is people ARE people,most might agree in principle to live a certain way or do a certain thing,push comes to shove,they balk.
You can do a LOT of this on your own or with only a few accomplices.
We are pretty much going it alone,with a 76 year old MIL in tow who has Alzheimers....and it IS slow going but we ARE going....

Quote:
FWIW I have lived in Amish country and they don't all live the life to be honest. The old world amish do. Ive seen horse drawn pesticide sprayers, amish builders who pay "regular" folks to drive them around etc. Also its nearly impossible to be much more than casual without it taking years and years
Ohhh,I don't want to be their friend,I would just want to have them around for their expertise....

But then I don't really like people in general....

I would suggest driving down I-26 to hwy 74 and heading this way,then go up hwy 64 towards Morganton.You can then get on I-40 and head back to Asheville....if that is where you are living,not really sure.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 09-09-2011, 07:48 AM
 
Location: Nebraska
4,178 posts, read 9,537,698 times
Reputation: 9580
Well, I live verrrry rurally - by choice.
There are no health food stores out here, or within 150 miles. Who needs 'em? We grow our own vegies and fruits, have grassfed cattle, farmraised hogs and chickens, even goats available. DH and I are more chicken and cattle people, so we sell our eggs or trade them. DH is skilled in small engine repair and woodworking, so he barters his talents for things we need. We all overgrow our gardens and trade produce... sometimes we'll come home and find a bag of produce behind the door.

Culture? In the HS we have an active drama group, choir, and band, and that translates into adulthood to local people performing at events - everything from rodeos to play productions to cowboy poetry events. We are not entertained - we are the entertainment! No wildly famous people, and no high prices for the entertainment, either.

Children out here never say, "I'm bored!" - they are vital producers for their families and neighbors; driving tractors and haybalers as soon as they can see over the steering wheel, riding and caring for their own horses from the age of 4, branding cattle from the age of 8, and learning to hunt, trap-shoot, and fish from the age of 6. They are strongly encouraged to participate in sports; volleyball, football, basketball, and track. Most graduate High School with scholarships and grants from corporations. Last year our graduating class had 16 graduates - who garnered over $160,000 in grants and scholarship awards. There are annual trips to Washington, DC and Mexico (this year France is included), as well as trips to the Capitol to watch the legislature. They also travel to historic sites not only in our states but in surrounding states, and learn history, politics, and other cultures. The local "Irish" town, O'Neill, is a sister city to one in Ireland, and for St Patrick's Day they have local Irish dancers and performers as well as ones from Ireland.

Adult 'nightlife' consists of going down to the local restaurant/bar and playing cribbage, poker, and pool, while the kids race their bicycles down the road or play in the park next door, or wander in and out of the bar to get food or drinks for their friends. Weekends are usually spent by whole families tubing the river or fishing in the summer, ice fishing or sledding in the winter. Some teens compete nationally in rodeos and horse-riding competitions, and their parents drive them 500 miles or more to these.

This is the "culture" we actively chose and have become a part of. Culture means different things to different people. Rather than watch, we do.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 09-09-2011, 02:45 PM
 
5,685 posts, read 8,704,092 times
Reputation: 7845
Quote:
Originally Posted by newbie22 View Post
did not ask for city amenities, nor lots of work, nor anything about political views


Quote:
Originally Posted by newbie22 View Post
ok here is my question...........we are really focused on returning to the land/ being sustainable etc etc...you know the story.......we would also like access to a some progressive/like minded folks since we are raising 2 children. we can find lots of thoose towns scattered all over the country. but they are all expensive for people trying to live simple ......... So....and I guess I am asking for something that folks may not want to share.... but where are places that are actually affordable and meet the above??? (if folks are willing to give up secrets I promise not to write mother earth news about it ) access to the mountains would be great, the closer the better but not a deal breaker if not. A place where land is affordable, we dont want city life but do like culture and access to things like healthy food stores, progressive folks, homeschoolers etc etc........ I am at the point of being open to almost anywhere......not texas to fl on the gulf or anywhere else crazy hot and nowhere crazy crazy cold like minnesota. Just throw it out it you think it might work...


forest beekeeper:
At the end of the day it comes down to the roll of government.

(Please note I am NOT talking Republican/Democrat, but liberal/conservative)

Liberals want bigger government, that the Gov take care of them and think the Gov't can 'do it better'.

Conservatives want to be left alone to go to work!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Rural and Small Town Living
Similar Threads
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6. The time now is 07:23 PM.

© 2005-2019, Advameg, Inc. · Please obey Forum Rules · Terms of Use and Privacy Policy · Bug Bounty

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top