U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Rural and Small Town Living
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Reply Start New Thread
 
Old 09-12-2011, 11:35 AM
 
5,682 posts, read 8,701,669 times
Reputation: 7840

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by newbie22 View Post
well conservatives want to be left alone until it comes to abortion,
Last time I checked stopping a heart beat was generally considered murder... and society had laws against it.


Quote:
Originally Posted by newbie22 View Post
or same sex marriage or, or , or, liberals dont want more government they want less big business buying off the government
(Not all) But most conservatives would be happier if the government got out of marrage.

It's a religious thing and the government has NO place messing with it. Not with Marrage panalities, bennifits, ANYTHING...

This will 'solve' the 'marriage issue'
(I DO believe that Homosexuals deserve equal protection under the law)

Now that THAT's solved... Your Left with "Or, or".
Have a nice day.


As to The rest of your topic: Look online or pay for papers in some of the areas you are considering (I like road trips, so 'areas of interest' are easy to find') By looking at the papers, from the crimes, to what's for sale, to the news you can get a decent snapshot of possible areas.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 09-12-2011, 03:40 PM
 
83 posts, read 78,321 times
Reputation: 28
Quote:
Originally Posted by oz in SC View Post
I believe political persuasion has no bearing on jobs...
Personally I lean libertarian/paleo-conservative.

But yes,lets get back to finding you your 'place in the sun'.

I actually LOVED property searching,would spend hours looking.
Of course no chilluns made it easier for us.

I guess I just didn't put any weight to political persuasion of the people in the area,although the state laws WERE important to me,hence why California would never have been on our list,even though the north of the state seems to be quite lovely.

And weather,weather was one of THE major factors,we don't do winter,especially not when it involves mountains of snow and lasts months on end.
i don't care about politics. anyone in a high political position is corrupt period. when I say progressive I guess I mean thinking.......I view things like acceptance of gay marriage or that sort of thing to be more personel than political.....politicians just run with it
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 09-12-2011, 03:44 PM
 
83 posts, read 78,321 times
Reputation: 28
Quote:
Originally Posted by oz in SC View Post
The Asheville LETS program,how far out of Asheville does it extend?

Is it solely close by or out in to the nether regions like where we live?

Quite interesting and a good idea.
OZ anyone could join and offer / request things , services etc. Most people on it are in the general vicinity (20 miles)... You can start one anywhere there would be interest. I heard of one near seattle with like 4000 members on it I think. All you need is interested people. Its really a great way of keeping things local, closing the income gap, avoiding monetary need, etc. Try searching credit clearing also. That is technically what let's programs are. You can go up to 300 negative or 300 positive but no more. I encourage you to start one.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 09-12-2011, 03:48 PM
 
Location: North Cackelacky....in the hills.
19,556 posts, read 19,540,002 times
Reputation: 2499
Quote:
Originally Posted by newbie22 View Post
i don't care about politics. anyone in a high political position is corrupt period. when I say progressive I guess I mean thinking.......I view things like acceptance of gay marriage or that sort of thing to be more personel than political.....politicians just run with it
This is my thinking on gay marriage.

I don't give a crap.

It is none of my business,none of your business,and none of the government's business to condemn OR condone.

Get the gov. out of the marriage business,it should be only a religious matter and if the High Holy Church of the Queens wants to marry two men or two women,so be it.

But...lets get BACK to your topic.

Are you in the Asheville area already?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 09-12-2011, 03:53 PM
 
83 posts, read 78,321 times
Reputation: 28
Quote:
Originally Posted by Themanwithnoname View Post
Last time I checked stopping a heart beat was generally considered murder... and society had laws against it.
whole other topic of discussion but abortion is currently legal.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Themanwithnoname View Post



(Not all) But most conservatives would be happier if the government got out of marrage.

It's a religious thing and the government has NO place messing with it. Not with Marrage panalities, bennifits, ANYTHING...

This will 'solve' the 'marriage issue'
(I DO believe that Homosexuals deserve equal protection under the law)

Now that THAT's solved... Your Left with "Or, or".
Have a nice day.

sorry to use the word marriage, call it whatever you want if people have 100% equal rights and protection under the law. according to your stance I would assume you support no legal marriage? married people get no tax breaks, insurance from a spouse, etc etc?? People can marry as many people as they want? non-religious people can't marry ??
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 09-12-2011, 03:58 PM
 
Location: North Cackelacky....in the hills.
19,556 posts, read 19,540,002 times
Reputation: 2499
Quote:
Originally Posted by newbie22 View Post
sorry to use the word marriage, call it whatever you want if people have 100% equal rights and protection under the law. according to your stance I would assume you support no legal marriage? married people get no tax breaks, insurance from a spouse, etc etc?? People can marry as many people as they want? non-religious people can't marry ??
I think anyone should be able to marry anyone,because no-one has a say in what other people do...well I guess you wouldn't want your 10 year old daughter being able to marry?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 09-12-2011, 05:16 PM
 
Location: Los Angeles area
14,017 posts, read 18,065,171 times
Reputation: 32353
Quote:
Originally Posted by newbie22 View Post
Sure there are a bunch around the country......Most famous is probably the Ithaca Hours program. you can also look up LET'S .: Asheville LETS [beta] Home :. + thats the lets program in asheville......not actually a currency like the Ithaca one but similar. LET's programs are all over the country as well Ithaca hours: Ithaca HOUR founder's page
Thank you for taking to trouble to respond. I have read both of the links you provided, well, not everything on them but the basic explanatory material. I must say it makes no sense at all to me. And one of the odd things about it all, for me, is that despite traveling and reading extensively, this is the first time I have heard of these things. Do I correctly assume that if I am a traveler passing through Ithaca, or Asheville, and I stop for lunch or I get a motel room for the night, I can still pay in U.S. dollars? As a non-local, therefore, I could have been in a community utilizing one of these bizarre currencies and not even realized it. It sort of blows my mind. Although I read the explanations, I do not understand them. And yes, I am literate in economics.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 09-12-2011, 05:52 PM
 
83 posts, read 78,321 times
Reputation: 28
Quote:
Originally Posted by Escort Rider View Post
Thank you for taking to trouble to respond. I have read both of the links you provided, well, not everything on them but the basic explanatory material. I must say it makes no sense at all to me. And one of the odd things about it all, for me, is that despite traveling and reading extensively, this is the first time I have heard of these things. Do I correctly assume that if I am a traveler passing through Ithaca, or Asheville, and I stop for lunch or I get a motel room for the night, I can still pay in U.S. dollars? As a non-local, therefore, I could have been in a community utilizing one of these bizarre currencies and not even realized it. It sort of blows my mind. Although I read the explanations, I do not understand them. And yes, I am literate in economics.
You most likely have been in a place using one but no you did not use it. Its not sponsored by a town or state etc but the community of folks using it. Its makes huge sense especially in a time of economic hardship. There are several books written on the topic. An established system give a community a leg up if the dollar fails, keeps "money/services" local.......It closes income gaps. Not sure what does not make sense.......The concept is just like that of magic paper we now call money...well except you can borrow without interest. I mean a group of folks could choose to use oak leaves as money and as long as they all accept that its just as valuable....Money itself is worthless.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 09-12-2011, 08:52 PM
Status: " down to just 2 old dogs" (set 6 days ago)
 
Location: Floyd Co, VA
3,429 posts, read 5,257,261 times
Reputation: 7289
Quote:
Originally Posted by newbie22 View Post
(if folks are willing to give up secrets I promise not to write mother earth news about it )
I'd tell ya about Floyd but Mother Earth already wrote about us a couple of issues back.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 09-12-2011, 08:54 PM
 
58,698 posts, read 83,279,303 times
Reputation: 12898
Ecovillage at Ithaca
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Rural and Small Town Living
Similar Threads
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6.

© 2005-2019, Advameg, Inc. · Please obey Forum Rules · Terms of Use and Privacy Policy · Bug Bounty

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top