U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Rural and Small Town Living
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-06-2011, 02:01 AM

16,312 posts, read 13,792,884 times

Advertisements

To me, if there is no fences lining the highway, then the area must be pretty isolated.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-06-2011, 08:27 AM

1,891 posts, read 2,295,267 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BobMarley_1LOVE View Post
Angle Township, MN

Google Map it. You cant even drive there without leaving the country. Except in the winter
Sounds like something right out of Ice Road Truckers...love it.

Old 10-06-2011, 08:29 AM

1,891 posts, read 2,295,267 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by StillwaterTownie View Post
To me, if there is no fences lining the highway, then the area must be pretty isolated.
Hey, I just realized that's a good indicator. Seen a few busy highways without fences, though.

Old 10-12-2011, 04:20 PM

8,082 posts, read 11,894,254 times
The Night Lights of the United States (as seen from space) | Flickr - Photo Sharing! (http://www.flickr.com/photos/wwworks/2712986388/ - broken link)

Old 10-12-2011, 04:59 PM

31,146 posts, read 50,314,105 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Giesela View Post
The Night Lights of the United States (as seen from space) | Flickr - Photo Sharing! (http://www.flickr.com/photos/wwworks/2712986388/ - broken link)
I like the dark areas in that photo

Old 10-12-2011, 07:57 PM

1,337 posts, read 1,253,998 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BobMarley_1LOVE View Post
Angle Township, MN

Google Map it. You cant even drive there without leaving the country. Except in the winter
That's fascinating. Learn something new every day. Just the other day I had posted a message along similar lines about Hyder, Alaska. It was my understanding that Hyder held the sole distinction (until I learned of Angle Township - and apparently three others) of being the most geographically isolated town in the U.S. in the same manner that Angle Township was, insofar as these seem to be the only town(s) in the whole country that you actually have to access from Canada, as there are no roads from the U.S. side.

[Northwest] Angle Township seems to be the more geographically isolated of the two, since Angle isn't physically contiguous to the U.S., though it might be a little easier to get to logistically if they have a ferry service.

If anyone knows of any other such towns, let me know. I like to keep a mental list for trivia purposes. Here are a few others. Supposedly these are the only other [non-islands] exclaves, according to Wiki:

Elm Point, Minnesota - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
Point Roberts, Washington - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
Alburgh (town), Vermont - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

---------------------

Hyder, Alaska - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Here is an interesting bit of trivia about the town. I wonder if Angle Township works the same way:

Canadian and British Columbian influence on culture

"Hyder is notable for being the only place in Alaska not to use the state-wide 907 area code, instead using the area code of 250 allocated for British Columbia."

"Tourists will also find that Hyder uses Pacific Time Zone, the common currency is Canadian (with the exception of the US Post Office, which only accepts American currency), they observe Canadian holidays, send their children to Canadian schools, and if you call the police a Canadian Mountie will respond."
- Wikipedia quote

Particularly of interest to me is the part about how Hyder residents sent their kids to Canadian schools, and even more interesting is how law enforcement response to that town is Canadian. I don't even understand how the legal jurisdiction works in that case.

Old 11-20-2011, 05:56 PM

624 posts, read 1,042,396 times
Default Sunburst,MT?

Don't think that area is as isolated as some places mentioned (Malta), but wonder if some one can elaborate on Sunburst?

But since its a port of entry? , I guess it sees lots of traffic?

Where is Sweetgrass,MT?

I remember riding Amtrak on the Empire Builder in 2006, and going through Malta, and gazing north at the Canadian sky. For an easterner, all that northeastern part of Montana seemed isolated. But I loved seeing it.

Old 11-20-2011, 06:04 PM

5,296 posts, read 6,270,975 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by grmi66 View Post
How about the Arizona strip? It's a huge chunk of land that starts at the northern edge of the Grand Canyon and borders Nevada and Utah. There are three small towns along the border with Utah and that's about it.
Very true, miles and miles and miles............

Eastern Colorado is somewhat the same take Last Chance area for example............

Old 11-27-2011, 11:44 AM

4,585 posts, read 10,998,630 times
I'll throw in SE Oregon very remote.

Old 11-28-2011, 12:51 AM

9,439 posts, read 5,972,011 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ReturningWest View Post
I'll throw in SE Oregon very remote.
That's the area I was thinking of as most remote (continental US) too. SE Oregon/SW Idaho. Owyhee County Idaho has a population density of only 1.4 / sq mile
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Rural and Small Town Living