U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Rural and Small Town Living
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-14-2012, 10:55 PM

9,329 posts, read 8,060,453 times

Advertisements

Sorry Pilgrim. King County Texas has you beat. 356 people. 912 sq. miles. That's about 1 person for every 2 and 1/2 square miles.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-28-2012, 04:02 PM

55 posts, read 151,169 times
I would agree for the most part. Montana, the Dakota's, and then many parts of Kansas, Nebraska and Wyoming are also very isolated. That make it somewhat of a northern/midwestern region.

Old 02-29-2012, 11:37 AM

3,806 posts, read 5,278,975 times
Least populated county in the US is Loving County, TX. It has 82 people. The largest town and county seat is the unincorporated community of Mentone which has a population of 19.

In the US Wake Island is possibly the most isolated inhabited place. It's the middle of nowhere in the Pacific. 2300 miles from Hawaii and 1510 miles from Guam. It is actually three islands with a total area of 2.85 miles. It was uninhabited until the 30s when Pan Am built a seaplace base there so they could refuel on trans-Pacific flights. Today there are about 100 people there who operate an airstrip for the Department of Defense. The US research stations in Alaska are bigger than that in population. The largest McMurdo Station has around 2000 people there in the summer.

Now you want to be isolated on earth there are some places a lot more isolated than that.

I had a college professor who was big into ham radio, and he told me about one time talking to a group of people on some island in the far south Pacific or south Atlantic. The people had gone there simply to get on ham radio from the remote location since it is a big deal for some operators to talk to people in isolated and bizarre locations. I wish I could remember the name of the islands. He said more people had walked on the moon than on this island.

Old 03-03-2012, 02:33 AM

29,038 posts, read 45,618,633 times
Out of the places where I've personally been, Nevada (outside of Reno & Vegas) struck me as the most isolated. I've literally driven all the way across, as well as north-to-south, and the desolation is downright SCARY at times... especially since I'm a Stephen King fan, and kept thinking of the book Desperation which is set in rural NV.

Last edited by gizmo980; 03-03-2012 at 02:44 AM..

Old 03-03-2012, 06:24 PM

2,707 posts, read 5,434,529 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by houseshunter View Post
I would agree for the most part. Montana, the Dakota's, and then many parts of Kansas, Nebraska and Wyoming are also very isolated. That make it somewhat of a northern/midwestern region.
Those states comprised the Great Plains.
Which I would agree is definitely the most isolated region in the continental US
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Rural and Small Town Living