U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Rural and Small Town Living
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-16-2011, 11:25 AM

943 posts, read 1,580,393 times

Advertisements

We live on 4 private acres in a small town in between to larger towns. (Near the main road so access is very easy to get where it is you want to go).
Do people find the sound of that comforting like a cozy blanket?
Does the thought of privacy ring a bell in your head?
What wording would you use to attract a buyer to consider buying a home like this?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-16-2011, 12:24 PM

930 posts, read 1,665,328 times
I would. I just bought house/acreage in a rural area precisely for that reason, esp uncut/undeveloped acerage. I had grown to hate surburbia and all it represents. When I'm at home I want to be alone and undisturbed.

Old 09-16-2011, 03:37 PM

1,774 posts, read 3,634,101 times
I might use the words "secluded", "retreat", "getaway" etc. Anything that illustrates freedom from the craziness of urban or suburban living. Make sure you mention the dirt road you live on--if you do.

Old 09-16-2011, 04:07 PM

9,200 posts, read 17,045,390 times
By "small town" do you mean an actual incorporated community, or just the remains of what was once a "real town" that is now just a cluster of buildings with a name but no local government?

Reason I ask is that there are advantages and disadvantages to having a property like yours in a town.

Advantages - City water/sewer/trash pickup; ordinances to prevent nuisances like dogs running loose or neighbors letting their property get trashy.

Disadvantages - Higher property taxes; zoning laws that limit the use of your property; ordinances that might prevent you from doing things like burning brush on your property or keeping certain kinds of animals.

Regardless of the legal status of the town, there are other advantages to having a property like yours located in a small population center such as access to basic services (assuming the town is large enough to have a gas station, cafe, grocery store, or whatever), having neighbors close enough to notice what might go on at your house while you are gone (not always a good thing, but I'd rather have somebody knowing my business than come home to find my house has been robbed or burned down), and, presumably, a little higher level of maintenance for the streets.

Old 09-16-2011, 04:21 PM

1,266 posts, read 2,878,125 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by countryswan View Post
What wording would you use to attract a buyer to consider buying a home like this?
Check out some of the phrasing used on properties here:

SurvivalRealty.com

Even if they don't think of themselves as "survivalists," many potential buyers in this recession are uneasy about security and sustainability beyond buying a typical suburban house on a small lot. This could be the marketing approach that works for you.

Old 09-16-2011, 09:07 PM

Hi Duster...
Maybe I ought to elaborate... Our town of 2,000
No, its not an "incorporated" NOR is it the remains of a former self..
no cluster of buildings either..
A gas station, a post office, an elementary school, a park, churches..
none of them next door to another.. no downtown. All a few miles away from the seat of the county.

The advantages seem to be opposite of what you mentioned...
We all have well & septic.. so LOW taxes too! We pay under $700 annually for our property taxes.

Behind the gas station is a dumpster intended for town use. We have no fees to dispose garbage.

We can burn after 4:00 and can see the neighbors houses and cars going in and out.. They are spaced a few acres from each other to keep an eye out, but you have enough of a buffer space so there is not a totally isolated feel.

Access to the hospital, fire dept, and an idyllic Mayberry-type downtown shopping with ALL the desires and needs of modern life 4 miles down the road. (including a few big box stores off the highway selectively places on the other side of the county.. just 2 miles past the downtown..)

Most who have appropriately sized parcels may have farm animals.. Its country in Virginia and its heaven, and green and peaceful, and ..wait.. WHY am I thinking of selling???!!!

Old 09-16-2011, 09:39 PM

1,266 posts, read 2,878,125 times
Quote:
Most who have appropriately sized parcels may have farm animals.. Its country in Virginia and its heaven, and green and peaceful, and ..wait.. WHY am I thinking of selling???!!!
LOL, really!

For whatever reasons you feel you need to sell, marketing to your target buyer group is all about finding a realtor who specializes in what you have to offer to urban homesteaders, retirees, and yes -- survivalists.

Try both the SS&P and Realtor sub-forums here on C-D and good luck!

Old 09-16-2011, 09:45 PM

THANKS AGAIN STONEY.. YOU are a TREASURE!

Old 09-17-2011, 02:15 PM

4,178 posts, read 9,535,609 times
If you want to go thru a realtor or list it yourself, you might list it on Moderator cut: link removed, linking to competitor sites is not allowed

WHY are you thinking of selling, again?? LOL

Last edited by Yac; 11-08-2011 at 06:55 AM..

Old 09-17-2011, 02:22 PM

16,786 posts, read 10,697,531 times
Quote:
Hi Duster...
Maybe I ought to elaborate... Our town of 2,000
No, its not an "incorporated" NOR is it the remains of a former self..
no cluster of buildings either..
A gas station, a post office, an elementary school, a park, churches..
none of them next door to another.. no downtown. All a few miles away from the seat of the county.

The advantages seem to be opposite of what you mentioned...
We all have well & septic.. so LOW taxes too! We pay under $700 annually for our property taxes.

Behind the gas station is a dumpster intended for town use. We have no fees to dispose garbage.

We can burn after 4:00 and can see the neighbors houses and cars going in and out.. They are spaced a few acres from each other to keep an eye out, but you have enough of a buffer space so there is not a totally isolated feel.

Access to the hospital, fire dept, and an idyllic Mayberry-type downtown shopping with ALL the desires and needs of modern life 4 miles down the road. (including a few big box stores off the highway selectively places on the other side of the county.. just 2 miles past the downtown..)

I don't know but if you really want to sell, just use that post as an ad. Makes me want to buy it!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Rural and Small Town Living