U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Rural and Small Town Living
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-17-2011, 08:25 PM

1,077 posts, read 2,733,725 times

Advertisements

I remember after high school, the first thing I wanted to do was get out of the small town I grew up in. Ironically, years later I'm in a town that's even smaller lol. I remember telling myself I couldn't wait to get out of that small town where everyone knew each other and everyone's parents went to school with your parents, and maybe even grandparents. That small town where everyone knew everyones buisness, and it was big news when we got a stop light, or a fast food chain.

It's been 7 years since I moved (although I only live less than a hour away) and for the first time I find myself checking the local newspaper, and kind of getting nostaliga. Maybe thinking it was the immaturity of a 18 year old mind rather than the actual town. Now don't get me wrong, a small town does have it's drawbacks with gossip and things like that. Now I know everyone goes through missing thier hometown, but I never really did, until recently like I mentioned. So I was kind of wondering, has anyone else ever felt this delayed yearning for your old small hometown?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-18-2011, 09:26 PM

25,691 posts, read 24,527,953 times
I love the small town here in WI we live in (population 3300 or so people) and am SO glad to be out of the bigger ones. Never leaving here either, this is the life Ive looked so forward to for so long. Am very happy here.

Old 09-22-2011, 04:33 AM

20,546 posts, read 20,528,094 times
It's not delayed yearning but is new appreciation.
We winter in a larger city and summer back home (population -3500)
It is so different being a virtual stranger in every store, bank, restaurant,on the street,locking the car all the time.
This can happen every time you move but you get known quickly in a small town.
We've been in the same place for 5 years now and what with the larger amount of people she sees a day, the same checkout woman I usually see at the grocery store once a week still doesn't seem to recognize me.

Old 09-23-2011, 09:18 PM

866 posts, read 982,783 times
I grew up in upstate NY. Hometown population now is about 24000, don't know what it was in the late 60's/70's. To me it was small-town USA and I hated it! Couldn't wait to leave! That was 40 years ago. Went back to live for a short while in late 90's. Things hadn't changed much from when I was growing up other than the size. Attitudes pretty much the same. After family situation was settled I left, and will not need or want to go back ever again. Am currently living in TX but hope to finally call TN my home come this spring, as that is where my heart has been since 1978 when I first drove through the state. Am looking for quiet rural location where I can live as I please, no one telling me how,what or when to do things unless I ask for advise. I'll have the courtesy to do the same to others, IF there are others nearby. Give me small-town U.S.A anytime!! I've had it with people for the most part!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Rural and Small Town Living