U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Rural and Small Town Living
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-20-2011, 07:53 AM

221 posts, read 1,044,547 times

Advertisements

Yeah, it's odd how the creepy in small towns are tolerated because people know their parents/siblings/other family members.

In the town where I used to work there was an old guy who lived in an old metal shed - kind of like a small box car- in the alley behind his family's downtown building. He would wander around town and pick through everyone's trash. He never cut his hair or bathed, and his fingernails were really long and curly. Everyone said he was harmless, but I was scared of him, especially since I'd encounter him when I was closing up in the evening.

I guess he was like the homeless people I used to see in the big cities where I've lived. He obviously was mentally ill, but known and tolerated by the police and citizens because everyone knew who he was.

And of course there's always the known alcoholics, sex offenders and meth heads who exist in any kind of town.

In the even smaller town where I lived my elderly neighbors had (have) a grown son who lived with them who no one else in town knew was there. I started asking questions about him and it turned out that he had accidentally shot and killed a neighbor kid back when they both were teens 30 or so years ago. Nobody knew that he was still living with his parents until I started asking about him, but he still is, to this day. He lives in their basement and rarely goes outside. And he talks in a really high whispery voice. He does freak me out. I call him Boo Radley.

When I lived in Lawrence Kansas there was the "tan man", who used to stand on a bench on the KU campus all day long in every kind of weather wearing only shorts. His skin was always peeling all over. He never talked to anyone, just stood there.

Yep, there's lot's of creepy people, even in small towns!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-20-2011, 04:25 PM

2,283 posts, read 3,144,125 times
For years we had the word "Tarsh" (much to our teenage amusements) on town garbage cans/barrels, painted there by the harmless but odd menial labor city worker. Sadly folks don't tend to distinguish between the Boo Radley type of socially dysfunctional town oddballs and the truly dangerous characters, a running sub-theme in To Kill a Mockingbird.

The harmless type I tend to reserve lots of patience for. The creepy and vaguely menacing need to stand clear.

Old 09-20-2011, 05:38 PM

37,149 posts, read 43,088,498 times
To me, odd or eccentric doesn't necessarily equal creepy (working with developmentally disabled kids and kids with autism, and even the mentally ill gives you a different perspective, but I felt that way long before I was an adult working with those populations, truth be told). I never put much stock in Boo Radley syndrome.

There are a lot of people out there who don't, for various reasons, fit most people's concepts of socially acceptable, but that doesn't automatically mean that they are dangerous or a threat.

Old 09-20-2011, 06:25 PM

4,919 posts, read 20,175,338 times
I think all small towns have that "creepy" person or family. I think most times its nott hat they are creepy but they are usually not really part of the community as the community thinks they should be.

My neighbors catty-corner to me is that creepy family, but they are just folks that have more personal home involvment so they arn;t out with everyone else. they don;t do the picnics, they don;t go to the church, they are often going to other areas and they don;t talk much to local folks. there isn;t anything that makes them creepy except the local folks just don;t know them well so talk flyes and soon they are the creepy family.

Old 09-20-2011, 07:06 PM

13,900 posts, read 11,002,816 times
I dont think my small town has any "creeps" but there is one unusual character that comes to mind.

He's an old man who for some reason doesn't have a drivers license so drives his riding mower around all over town. This is illeagle to do but everyone just seems to look the other way on it, including the cops. Everyone around town calls him the "mow-man"

As they say, every village has an idiot and if you dont think yours does, than it's probly YOU!

Old 09-20-2011, 07:30 PM

4,551 posts, read 10,349,344 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mrs. Skeffington View Post
Have any of you had experience with any locals in your small town/rural area who really creeped you out?

I'll start - in a previous post I wrote about a local farmer I'd worked for part time who turned out to be a "swinger" and became so fresh and inappropriate that I told him off and quit. Lately, there's a weasely old toothless guy who mows the vacant adjoining property about twice a month and stares holes in me when I'm working outside. Twice this summer, he's come over while I was weeding and initiated conversation, by asking me what I thought of our "(derogatory racist term) President". Now, I go in the house and stay there until he leaves.

Seriously.......you should live my life if that is the best you have That pretty much is my normal trip to our local walmart...LOL!

Old 09-20-2011, 08:31 PM

4,645 posts, read 5,160,782 times
The stuff from a really good movie. We love them on the big screen, but not breathing down our necks.

Old 09-20-2011, 09:15 PM

24,683 posts, read 46,372,457 times
I wonder how many of these creepy people are like Boo Radley, kind of misunderstood. I'm sure some are people who geniunely want to keep away from, but some are probably just lonely/eccentric.

Old 09-20-2011, 11:04 PM

1,799 posts, read 2,468,332 times
I think we may have to stop and wonder what made them like that.

Old 09-20-2011, 11:14 PM

1,068 posts, read 1,537,802 times
There are a couple of strange folks in small towns. One guy here is a complete shut-in, he's just a complete mess I have never seen him outside ever, I wonder if he eats in there? He never comes to church which already speaks volumes. He covers his windows with wood and plenty of old run down cars scattered across his yard. Just looking at his house always used to scare me.

Trap houses can be scary as well. If you think the outside looks bad the inside is even worse. The house is just in a complete mess and all of the out of towners running back and forth in there. You would think the police would do something.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Rural and Small Town Living