U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Rural and Small Town Living
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-20-2011, 11:34 PM

3,441 posts, read 5,273,021 times

Advertisements

All neighborhoods have "odd" people regardless of the population level of the city/town, the levels seem to be exponential though.

I like to say that "People of Walmart" types are a sampling of the community as a whole.

You have the old man that seems to be wearing the same clothes every day, you have the old lady that goes everywhere in her nightgown, you have children that always run around town as if they just rolled around in the mud, you have people that don't seem to understand "boundaries", etc..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-21-2011, 01:56 AM

6,501 posts, read 5,590,222 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Trimac20 View Post
I wonder how many of these creepy people are like Boo Radley, kind of misunderstood. I'm sure some are people who geniunely want to keep away from, but some are probably just lonely/eccentric.
Larry the Lecherous Farmer was lonely for female companionship - just not the companionship of his wife.

Old 09-21-2011, 06:19 AM

37,143 posts, read 43,070,821 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cushla View Post
I think we may have to stop and wonder what made them like that.
A great uncle of mine was doubtless one of these guys in his hometown. He had traumatic brain injury as a result of having been being mugged and severely beaten. It happened when he was a young man, and in his generation, people knew what had happened to him to make him "a little off," but as he got older, not everyone knew the backstory, and figured he was just odd.

Old 09-21-2011, 08:50 PM

24,683 posts, read 46,363,118 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TreasuredJewel View Post
There are a couple of strange folks in small towns. One guy here is a complete shut-in, he's just a complete mess I have never seen him outside ever, I wonder if he eats in there? He never comes to church which already speaks volumes. He covers his windows with wood and plenty of old run down cars scattered across his yard. Just looking at his house always used to scare me.

Trap houses can be scary as well. If you think the outside looks bad the inside is even worse. The house is just in a complete mess and all of the out of towners running back and forth in there. You would think the police would do something.
Maybe he's practising witchcraft in there?

Old 09-22-2011, 11:52 AM

1,078 posts, read 2,318,881 times
Heck, I'm in Lincoln Montana. Our creepy guy was the "Uni-Bomber", Ted Katzinski. How's that for creepy?

Old 09-22-2011, 03:08 PM

373 posts, read 555,886 times
Default Did anyone suspect him as being a homidcal maniac?

Quote:
Originally Posted by magoomafoo View Post
Heck, I'm in Lincoln Montana. Our creepy guy was the "Uni-Bomber", Ted Katzinski. How's that for creepy?
Most odd people are rather harmless.

The FBI spent a fortune in manpower and $$$$$ to catch him and took his own brother who happened to read a not very mainstream newspaper The NYT to put it together. If his brother had not read the article or he did not write well he might still be your local odd guy.

Did he have friends or people who thought he was harmless?

There was a man alot like that growing up who has been and AeroSpace Engineer and decided to live in a small shack, got SSI and did odd jobs such as building and cleaning outhouses. He used to wear camo clothes all the time and was fond of hunting and fishing. Many of the locals secretly would have liked to do goof off everyday, hike in the woods, and hunt and fish on the taxpayors nickel. He never harmed anyone. People could never completely grasp why he gave up a middle class situation like Kosinki did.

Old 09-22-2011, 04:06 PM

1,078 posts, read 2,318,881 times
Yep! Most of the locals thought he was a harmless but very intelligent hermit. My neighbor was the librarian who new him best and was interviewed by most of the media. My husband stopped to see if he needed a ride one day when he saw him riding his bike in the pouring rain (before anyone knew he was the Uni-Bomber) of course. Ted politely declined the ride. What is creepiest to me is that he seemed to fit in perfectly with our little town.

Old 09-22-2011, 04:56 PM

2,878 posts, read 3,926,100 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 1957TabbyCat View Post
Most odd people are rather harmless.

The FBI spent a fortune in manpower and $$$$$ to catch him and took his own brother who happened to read a not very mainstream newspaper The NYT to put it together. If his brother had not read the article or he did not write well he might still be your local odd guy.

Did he have friends or people who thought he was harmless?

There was a man alot like that growing up who has been and AeroSpace Engineer and decided to live in a small shack, got SSI and did odd jobs such as building and cleaning outhouses. He used to wear camo clothes all the time and was fond of hunting and fishing. Many of the locals secretly would have liked to do goof off everyday, hike in the woods, and hunt and fish on the taxpayors nickel. He never harmed anyone. People could never completely grasp why he gave up a middle class situation like Kosinki did.
Giving up the high-middle class "situation" is my and my wife's dream too. I don't think that alone is a reason enough to be considered odd. People who don't experience a certain thing can almost never understand why someone would give it up (or not give it up).

Sometimes people just get sick of everyone dipping hands into your pockets, having to pay through your nose for stuff you should be able to do yourself, having no time to smell the roses and see the world, no time to spend with each other or your children (or by yourself)... This whole system is turning into a sham with layers of layers of middle-men who just skim percentages off virtual services of dubious real value. I for one am tired of it.

Look up the "Alone in the Wilderness" DVD at your local library . It is inspirational to say the least....

OD

Old 09-22-2011, 09:57 PM

373 posts, read 555,886 times
Exclamation He may have

Quote:
Originally Posted by ognend View Post
Giving up the high-middle class "situation" is my and my wife's dream too. I don't think that alone is a reason enough to be considered odd. People who don't experience a certain thing can almost never understand why someone would give it up (or not give it up).

Sometimes people just get sick of everyone dipping hands into your pockets, having to pay through your nose for stuff you should be able to do yourself, having no time to smell the roses and see the world, no time to spend with each other or your children (or by yourself)... This whole system is turning into a sham with layers of layers of middle-men who just skim percentages off virtual services of dubious real value. I for one am tired of it.

Look up the "Alone in the Wilderness" DVD at your local library . It is inspirational to say the least....

OD
The guy was laid off after a major project and never went back work. This area had no TV and it was before the days of Sat dishes or cell phones. Miles and miles of woods to walk in. Interesting people to speak with. It has now been taken of by very affluent people with strict code enforcement. It was considered a rural slum at the time we had a vacation home there. Many houses had no running water, and outhouses were the norm. Quite a few had wells within the houses. There was also a pipe driven into the side of a mountain for a community well.

He had chosen a great place at the time. I will check out the DVD alone in the wilderness.

Old 09-23-2011, 01:27 PM

221 posts, read 1,044,380 times
I think we've pretty well established that "creepy" is in the mind of the beholder. And there's a zillion variations and gradations of the concept. People who scare or bother me may not scare or bother you. And what scares me may not be logical at all. I like to think that I'm fine with "different" people, but when I encounter unusual situations or people in the dark of night - I get "creeped out". And I'm not embarassed to admit it.

On the spectrum of irritating to criminal the following is just on the irritating end, but I find it creepy:

In my current small midwestern town young men in businesses like the grocery store and the carpet store call all women "hon". I keep wanting to say, "It's 2011, have you never heard of the word Ma'am?" but I don't want to make waves.

But being called "hon" by young males I don't know is extremely CREEPY!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Rural and Small Town Living