U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Rural and Small Town Living
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-25-2011, 08:25 AM

12,083 posts, read 34,596,801 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shizzles View Post
http://www.nytimes.com/2011/09/20/us...ewanted=1&_r=1

I've always wanted to try the rural life at some point in my life but this is worrying.
That is a funny article. Looks like the NY Times took one small town and jumped to the conclusion that ALL small towns are like it. I wonder how long they had to look for a small town like the one they used, to illustrate why life in small towns have to be so horrid compared to big city life?

To answer your question: NO, all small towns are not like this. Most are great places to live.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-26-2011, 10:56 AM

22,243 posts, read 24,233,596 times
Yes, all small towns are like the one off Gilmore Girls.

Old 09-27-2011, 01:16 AM

16,359 posts, read 13,805,345 times
My town has a web site whose purpose is to bash many of the local city government officials who its contributors don't agree with. It's probably like the local version of the Tea Party. http://stillwaterwatchdogs.com

"A watchdog does not take things at face value but looks at the darker aspects of city government, bringing light into the darkness, illuminating areas which the government would rather not discuss."

Last edited by StillwaterTownie; 09-27-2011 at 01:27 AM..

Old 09-27-2011, 02:09 AM

1,891 posts, read 2,295,801 times
You know that old saying:

"Don't believe in everything you hear".

Old 09-28-2011, 01:01 AM

103 posts, read 85,562 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shizzles View Post
http://www.nytimes.com/2011/09/20/us...ewanted=1&_r=1

I've always wanted to try the rural life at some point in my life but this is worrying.

omg, that is VERY disturbing.

To those of you who say it's no big deal, just ignore it - that's all well and good - but what about people who do NOT ignore it?

What if you were talked about, what if someone used your REAL name to post on a website or forum, and said hateful things about you? You'd think it was a big deal then. That is happening more and more online, especially via that disgusting Facebook - perhaps the most detrimental tool right now, a major data-mining source.

The internet is becoming a nasty, dangerous tool for mean people, and sites like [domain blocked due to spam], that appear not to be moderated, and Facebook which is overloaded with violations and fake accounts, are the perfect places for hateful vindictive people to do that kind of stuff.

There HAS to be some way those sites can be legally controlled.

Old 09-28-2011, 06:51 AM

4,178 posts, read 9,539,972 times
As a newspaper reporter and later a weekly political columnist, I have experienced harassment as I indicated before - even before the Internet became popular. People calling my editor and demanding that I be fired, saying that they were going to sue, some even calling my home and making threats. My 13 year old daughter picked up the phone to hear a (naturally) anonymous caller say he was going to come to my house and rape, torture, and kill me, burn the house down, etc. My daughter - started laughing. "C'mon over, fool!" she told him. "My mom carries a gun and knows how to use it - BRING IT!" Of course he never did...

When a guy in a neighboring town started his harassing website and mentioned me, some folks were all too anxious to call me and tell me about it. I went on it and told him and his readers OFF, gave them facts about what they were hypothesizing, and then told them to kiss my entire - um, ankle. The owner of the website invited me to continue posting, and I told him that my "posts" were in the Sunday paper, could be read online, and I was not going to answer them again - if they couldn't read and comprehend them, that was their problem, not mine. His website died eventually...

Like any forum or blog based solely on viciousness, cruelty, and lies, it eventually goes away, as long as thinking rational people do not allow it to influence them. Let the pigs play in the mud all they want - whether they come out eventually, or stay in it wallowing in their own filth, they are still pigs and should be treated as such. Sure, everyone has a right to their opinion, free speech - but not all opinions are valid, and when you shine the light, the cockroaches run and hide.

Old 09-28-2011, 09:40 AM

37,149 posts, read 43,088,498 times
Also, bear in mind that the way people interact via forums isn't necessarily indicative of the way they interact face-to-face. And that applies to large metros as well as to small communities. If you frequented the c-d forum for my metro, you'd easily form an opinion about the city that really doesn't reflect reality...people are far more contentiousm, blunt, and rude when typing on their keyboards than they'd ever have the guts to be face-to-face.

That said, bullying happens everywhere. In a small town, it's less hidden, because everything is more exposed in a small town.

Old 09-28-2011, 09:42 AM

37,149 posts, read 43,088,498 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mizela View Post
There HAS to be some way those sites can be legally controlled.
It's very hard to legally control the spoken and written word without getting into first amendment issues. One person's idea of what's slanderous/libelous may be another person's free speech/free press, and at times, the only way to get a determination on that requires costly and lengthy court battles. So many slippery slopes.

Old 10-06-2011, 08:31 AM

756 posts, read 853,173 times
Look at my town, but i didn't see anything real bad.Someone posted that they wondered what happend at Clemens High School Friday night,as they saw an ambulance by the band hall and hoped that no one got hurt and everything turned out okay.I think thatt was nice.

Old 10-07-2011, 10:24 PM

1,472 posts, read 2,030,826 times
Before Internet we lived in a town of 350,had to send and receive our mail through the PO.Well have you seen shows people in charge of the mail steaming interesting letters open?

Me and my wife was already having trouble.I was writing to another person in Kansas City.Lady in town told me a woman at the PO was spreading word for word letters I sent and received.

Years ago when I had Mail Box had the Mailman setting at the Mail Box reading one of my magazines

I picked up a Girl I knew in town gave her a ride home.That night at work I was called to the office.Seems the Girl was renting my Bosses Trailer.He informed me if I moved in with her that the rent would be raised I assured him I wasn't.

Truth if I'm to talk with another woman across town I better call my wife,because it would beat me to the house.

Oh as far as Internet I had a woman drive 600 miles to stalk me,she broke it off when I let her know I don't play games.Had one Guy threaten to kill me,because I offered to take him Snipe hunting,he got kicked off the Forum.Got into it with the Owner of a Forum,he started EMailing me harassing me,I contacted the Law to get him to stop.Had been talking to a Guy for years didn't realize it was my Nieces Husband.

brushrunner

Last edited by brushrunner; 10-07-2011 at 10:36 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Rural and Small Town Living