U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Rural and Small Town Living
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-09-2011, 06:12 PM

1,648 posts, read 1,944,747 times

Advertisements

[domain blocked due to spam] is the roughest forum I've found on the web, and that's saying something. Registration is voluntary, and one can post under various user names. There's no moderators to speak of, and there's an endless number of forums for every town, village, or hamlet you can think of.

The typical post, involves placing someones name in the title, and "What do you know about him/her?" as the post. From there a multi-page thread develops with the various posters accusing the subject of all types of immoral behavior, while others argue what a great person the individual is.

From what I understand, [domain blocked due to spam] was intended to provide small communities with an outlet for local news and political discussions. It's turned into entirely something else.
Quick reply to this message

Old 10-10-2011, 03:23 PM

2,777 posts, read 3,083,276 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shizzles View Post
http://www.nytimes.com/2011/09/20/us...ewanted=1&_r=1

I've always wanted to try the rural life at some point in my life but this is worrying.

Gossip is where you draw the line, but crippling unemployment and meth addiction is okey dokey in your rural life vision?

The rural life isn't swap meets and stuff, its traditionally been one of hardship.

Old 10-10-2011, 06:31 PM

12,083 posts, read 34,587,197 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kreutz View Post
Gossip is where you draw the line, but crippling unemployment and meth addiction is okey dokey in your rural life vision?

The rural life isn't swap meets and stuff, its traditionally been one of hardship.
Who said anything about "crippling unemployment and meth addiction" as the typical rural lifestyle?

Actually there are quite a few swap meets and other things to do. The rural lifestyle isn't hardship for most people I know who live outside of a larger city. In fact most people I know living away from larger cities and pretty down to Earth and calm in their life. Not a lot of drama, hassle, drugs, etc... rural. Those I know in larger cities are more stressed, sicker overall, driven by the dollar and not joy in their lives.

Given the two side of the coin I have seen and lived, give me rural ANY day of the week over a large city. Nobody I know is a crack/meth/dope head, nobody I know are living in hardship, or unemployed. Most will go to a couple swap meets a year, a few auctions, museums a couple times a year, concerts once in a while, plus take their kids fishing, hiking, boating, skiing, etc.... Yeah, living rural sucks... NOT.

Old 10-11-2011, 10:37 AM

41,490 posts, read 52,111,296 times
Living anywhere is what YOU make of it. Cherish your friends and ignore your enemies (unless they actually threaten to harm you. Then call the cops).

Old 10-11-2011, 11:25 AM

48,516 posts, read 85,104,801 times
Its no more true than big cities having nothing but gangs everywhere really.

Old 10-11-2011, 12:06 PM

23,440 posts, read 32,192,324 times
I'm from a really small town in MO, the [domain blocked due to spam] forum for my town has hardly anything on it.
However, theres a town in the next county that has a horrific [domain blocked due to spam] forum.
I have no idea why this is so.

Old 10-12-2011, 03:52 PM

2,435 posts, read 2,896,636 times
I'd say yeah, pretty much. Especially if there's not much to do recreationally. In a smaller population, people with not much business of their own tend to notice and remember yours easier as you come and go. So keep your nose clean and stay on your P's and Q's. It can be annoying, coming from a larger more indifferent city. But it can be managed if that is where you have to live.

Old 11-15-2011, 02:04 PM

35,885 posts, read 67,927,275 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kshe95girl View Post
I'm from a really small town in MO, the [domain blocked due to spam] forum for my town has hardly anything on it.
However, theres a town in the next county that has a horrific [domain blocked due to spam] forum.
I have no idea why this is so.
Well, I guess there are some real doozies who live in the next town and like to spend a lot of time online stirring up stuff, lol.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Rural and Small Town Living