Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Rural and Small Town Living
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-07-2011, 08:53 AM

2 posts, read 4,371 times

Advertisements

Would love feedback on gated communities of 50 or less homes...pros and cons..thanks
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-25-2011, 08:23 AM

2,401 posts, read 4,683,928 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ladybilt View Post
Would love feedback on gated communities of 50 or less homes...pros and cons..thanks
You mean the McMansions in Suburbias???

In my small town we have zero condos/townhomes/mcmansions of any sort... 100% SFH or farms.

I do know of another town nearby that have a gated community (with that little checkpoint building at its gates) I think they are only about 20 or less homes in that gated estate... but they are more million dollar min. mansions / tract? (NOT Mcmansions on that 3rd acre plot, side by side) built on at a minimum of 3 ++ acres apart.... but still maintained by a HOA/CC&R (with golf privileges and other club house amenities that you have to drive at least a few miles to... not within the same home compound like McMansions usually have that you can walk to).

Still... to have that HOA/CC&R... eek!

Old 10-25-2011, 08:32 PM

5,089 posts, read 15,401,935 times
A gated community is a notice that a repairman/contractor/laborer can charge you more for services.

Some gated communities are not real gated but just have an appearance of exclusivity. They consequently invite thieves and do not have the security to prevent them from entering. Many times the gates are open and thieves enter as landscape laborers.

Some Gated community charge excessive homeowners fees that are not warranted but just for the semblance of being special. Homeowners fees are not tax deductible. However, some scheming homeowners associations set themselves up as special taxing district and put the homeowners fees on the county tax, so it is tax deductible.

In these coming days, as we become more aware of the fraud and corruption of the stock market and greed in capitalism, a gated community is a place that when the masses revolt, we will know where to find you.

Livecontent

Old 10-25-2011, 08:36 PM

1,568 posts, read 1,551,597 times
If you're going to go gated, go gated guarded. Though a community of 50 homes might not have that.

Old 10-25-2011, 08:50 PM

37,409 posts, read 53,569,981 times
Gated communities do not exist in the rural/small town area in which I grew up. For that, you had to head to the 'burbs.

Old 10-25-2011, 08:56 PM

26,656 posts, read 28,677,767 times
We don't have gated communities around here, thank goodness.

Last year we were driving in VA and made a wrong turn. Wound up by a little booth with a guard! He let us go in and turn around--I guess that must have been a gated community. What a joke--we were laughing. People PAY for this? For a guy to stand there in a little booth like a guard at Buckingham Palace? Are these people really THAT important?

Old 10-26-2011, 07:48 PM

17,216 posts, read 57,072,247 times
I guess it would depend on what exactly you want in a rural home. We prefer a rural life in part to avoid on-going HOA type restrictions and expense. We have a gate across our driveway, but I don't think this is what you are talking about. The problem to me is that 50 houses is a big enough barrel to have at least one bad apple in it. And with a gated HOA "community", you are tied in to that bad apple, like it or not...

Old 10-26-2011, 09:24 PM

23,707 posts, read 30,745,228 times
The only place I've seen these communities in quantity is in Florida. In many other states I've seen the front gates wide open. Some had no gatehouse and many had a gatehouse that was there for looks as there was no guard or drop down gate.

Old 10-27-2011, 09:07 AM

26,656 posts, read 28,677,767 times
Why do people want gates at all? Do they live in that bad an area that they really need this kind of protection? I could see a fence or gate around your own property for privacy but why a gate around an entire community? Just move to a regular town.

Old 10-27-2011, 10:03 AM

23,707 posts, read 30,745,228 times
Quote:
Why do people want gates at all?
Maybe the OP should post the question in the Florida forum instead of this one.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Rural and Small Town Living