U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Rural and Small Town Living
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-07-2011, 06:53 AM

40,263 posts, read 41,823,633 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by SCGranny View Post
I don't see why not...
I save my lard for cooking, but it would smell much better heated than cooking oil - kinda bacony!
I use bacon grease to season cast iron, works the best IMO.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-07-2011, 07:00 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kinkytoes View Post
I know that's unsolicited advice, but if you're smelling smoke in the house, there are at least some byproducts being released into the environment...and CO is probably one of them. It is only lethal in high doses, but why take chances?
That's not exactly true and there is even some concern low level exposure to non lethal amounts over a long time can be detrimental to your health. CO bonds to the hemoglobin in your blood preventing it from carrying oxygen, it can build up over hours or even days. It doesn't necessarily have to be at a level that will immediately incapacitate you. The only cure for CO poisining is time.

Old 11-08-2011, 07:11 PM

45,269 posts, read 89,561,207 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by galee View Post
Hi Everyone,

My husband and I live in Upstate New York and decided to get a wood stove to reduce our heating costs. The problem is that I don't like the smoky smell that the wood stove makes. What can be done about that smell?

My husband has been boiling some aromatic spices in a big pot in the kitchen, and that does help a little, but I don't like the idea of leaving a pot on the stove for a long time. Is there anything we can buy to take away the smell.

Thank you.

Galee

Hi Galee

All I can tell you is that buying a woodstove was one of the best decisions we ever made - I LOVE mine

We went with a Vermont Castings DutchWest non-catalytic convection model.

It has performed extremely well.

Unlike a fireplace, it is very possible to get a great fire going that will last for hours and hours with just a little firewood. And as long as you take the time to learn to use it correctly, you will not smell any smoke in your home.

Last year we got thru the whole winter on less than a cord of wood - which only cost us about $75.00.

Every day I would start the fire about 4 p.m. It produced enough heat to warm us thru the evening until about 2 a.m., but we were in bed long before then snuggled under the covers, lol. My husband programmed the heat pump thermostat to kick on at 6 a.m. to start the warming the house before we got up at 8 a.m. Having the wood stove actually allowed us to just use the heat pump for those few hours every day, so our electric bill was VERY affordable.

If you did not invest in a cast iron woodstove and went instead with a cheap one from someplace like Lowes that could be part of your problem and you may want to consider making the investment in a good one.

Vermont Castings DutchWest 2478 Review

Old 11-08-2011, 10:47 PM

12,683 posts, read 17,014,033 times
Here in west Texas, I decided to get rid of my wood stove and went to a large pellet stove. This old house has central heating but it runs on propane which is about the same price per gallon as gasoline. A ton of wood pellets is about $250 and will last all winter. The propane was costing several hundred dollars every couple of months. Now we only use the propane to heat water.

With a good pellet stove extremely little smoke enters the living space so smoke odor is not a problem. I do smell a little smoke at a cold start-up but it disappears very quickly.

Old 11-09-2011, 11:06 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by High_Plains_Retired View Post
A ton of wood pellets is about $250 and will last all winter. The propane was costing several hundred dollars every couple of months. Now we only use the propane to heat water.
If the propane was $3.50 per gallon It would cost you $553.26 in propane to make the same amount of BTU's in a ton of wood pellets. Your savings would be $300 for the heating season assuming you're still maintaining the same temperatures etc.

Old 11-17-2011, 06:40 PM

50 posts, read 145,043 times
Did you purchase the stove new or used? Did you have it professionly installed? Even new stoves and new stove pipe will leak until it gets good and hot the first time. This is called the curing stage.......you should light the stove and burn it hot for 3 hours to break it in..............make sure its warm enough outside to open the windows. After that it shouldn't leak much. You will get a slight smell of wood smoke after that but not enough to bother you.

Old 11-17-2011, 07:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by hanger View Post
Did you purchase the stove new or used? Did you have it professionly installed? Even new stoves and new stove pipe will leak until it gets good and hot the first time. This is called the curing stage.......you should light the stove and burn it hot for 3 hours to break it in..............make sure its warm enough outside to open the windows. After that it shouldn't leak much. You will get a slight smell of wood smoke after that but not enough to bother you.
I wasn't sure if you were replying to my message above but in case you were, yes, the pellet stove was purchased new. We've had the stove going now since last Christmas. If it leaks into the house at all, I can't smell it even at start-up anymore.

I had a problem finding anyone around Lubbock who knew anything about pellet stoves and who was willing to drive all the way out to my farm so, after doing a lot of reading and studying, I took the measurements, built the necessary reinforced tile floor and wall hearth, bought the pellet stove pipe and attachments, got into the attic and on the roof and installed the thing myself. We are at about 3400 feet altitude so instead of the standard 3" exhaust pipe, I used a step-up adapter at the rear of the stove and went to 4" exhaust pipe. It works excellent.

It was not an easy task for a 61 year old man who doesn't like heights anymore but I got 'er done.

Old 11-17-2011, 09:00 PM

50 posts, read 145,043 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by High_Plains_Retired View Post
I wasn't sure if you were replying to my message above but in case you were, yes, the pellet stove was purchased new. We've had the stove going now since last Christmas. If it leaks into the house at all, I can't smell it even at start-up anymore.

I had a problem finding anyone around Lubbock who knew anything about pellet stoves and who was willing to drive all the way out to my farm so, after doing a lot of reading and studying, I took the measurements, built the necessary reinforced tile floor and wall hearth, bought the pellet stove pipe and attachments, got into the attic and on the roof and installed the thing myself. We are at about 3400 feet altitude so instead of the standard 3" exhaust pipe, I used a step-up adapter at the rear of the stove and went to 4" exhaust pipe. It works excellent.

It was not an easy task for a 61 year old man who doesn't like heights anymore but I got 'er done.
I wasn't responding to your post but to the original post. Any-the-who...........there needs to be enough stove pipe extending above the roof for proper draft. Of course when the pipe gets hot that will help it draft. All stoves are different............we use a "Round Oak" built in 1890..............yes, an antique. It works very well and is very efficient. I burn hedge almost all winter and have an antique stove in the garage-2400 spft with 12' ceiling.

Old 11-17-2011, 09:22 PM

631 posts, read 1,740,938 times
I have a wood stove and never smell wood. the stove may have leaky seems or the flue has a problem.

When ever I have a problem with something I check a forum and there is a wood stove and fireplace forum.

But I wood just call the store where you bought it or who installed it. I apologize is I am repeating the same suggestions, I did not have time to read through.

Hearth.com | Wood Stoves, Fireplace, Pellet Stoves, Gas Stoves and More - Forums!

Old 11-18-2011, 10:51 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by hanger View Post
I wasn't responding to your post but to the original post. Any-the-who...........there needs to be enough stove pipe extending above the roof for proper draft. Of course when the pipe gets hot that will help it draft.
I apologize for that.

A sufficient amount of exhaust pipe above the roof also applies to pellet stoves.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Rural and Small Town Living