U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Rural and Small Town Living
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-17-2011, 04:25 PM

222 posts, read 601,384 times

Advertisements

Hi Everyone,

My husband and I live in Upstate New York and decided to get a wood stove to reduce our heating costs. The problem is that I don't like the smoky smell that the wood stove makes. What can be done about that smell?

My husband has been boiling some aromatic spices in a big pot in the kitchen, and that does help a little, but I don't like the idea of leaving a pot on the stove for a long time. Is there anything we can buy to take away the smell.

Thank you.

Galee
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-17-2011, 04:36 PM

29,581 posts, read 64,130,845 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by galee View Post
Is there anything we can buy to take away the smell.
A central heating system will do it.
I like Columbia boilers and copper slant fin baseboards best.

Old 10-17-2011, 05:19 PM

15,020 posts, read 12,218,151 times
You could ask the company that sold you the stove. There is a chance that your flue or chimney does not draft properly. Maybe the company could give you the name of an expert? You could also try calling a masonry supply company and asking them - they should be able to give you the name of a professional.

Old 10-17-2011, 06:00 PM

10,953 posts, read 8,839,058 times
I agree that there is likely something not working properly and that it should be checked. I have very little smoke or smokey smell that gets into my house, even when I've got the door open. In fact, I just had the door open so I could put another piece of wood on the fire and I don't think any smoke at all came out. And when I do get smoke in the house, that usually means my chimney needs to be brushed out - a fairly easy chore, unless your roof has a steep pitch. The brushes are available at your local hardware store and you can use pvc pipe to get the length you need.

Personally, I like the wood smoke smell I get when I'm outside.

I have only wood heat.

Old 10-17-2011, 07:32 PM

37,143 posts, read 43,070,821 times
For me, the sole reason for heating with wood is for the wood smoke smell.

Old 10-18-2011, 09:44 AM

1,078 posts, read 2,318,881 times
Agree with TabulaRasa. If you're going to burn wood, you are going to get a wood smoke smell. 99% of our heat (live in Montana at the top of the Rockies, a month of -20 temps are not unusual) is from woodheat. We do have propane heat but our tank only needs refilling about every two years.

Old 10-18-2011, 01:19 PM

49 posts, read 111,579 times
Two things to check.
Is the box deep enough? A narrow box can let smoke in.
Is the chimney tall enough outside? If not it will not give a good draft.

Old 10-18-2011, 07:49 PM

222 posts, read 601,384 times
Thank you all for your responses. Just to clarify, we do have central heating, but we want to use the wood stove on especially cold days.

Really, I was wondering if there's any kind of air purifier that could eliminate the wood smoke smell. I will have the chimney checked out as you have recommended.

Thank you.

Galee

Old 10-18-2011, 08:46 PM

1,550 posts, read 3,124,594 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by galee View Post
Thank you all for your responses. Just to clarify, we do have central heating, but we want to use the wood stove on especially cold days.

Really, I was wondering if there's any kind of air purifier that could eliminate the wood smoke smell. I will have the chimney checked out as you have recommended.

Thank you.

Galee
Ecoquest Air Purifiers but they are expensive but works very well. The house smells like a rain storm has past. It is self contained 8X6X10 inch box and filters have to cleaned once a month and replaced so you don't have to buy filters.

Old 10-18-2011, 08:48 PM

14,719 posts, read 45,829,256 times
If you chimney is clean enough and tall enough, you should not have any significant smoke in the house. Although, I agree that the slight smoky smell is part of the experience, like the 2-stroke oil smoke of an outboard motor as you head out to fish.

Probably the 2 smells that I like the best.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Rural and Small Town Living