U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Rural and Small Town Living
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-23-2011, 02:35 PM

4,178 posts, read 9,535,609 times

Advertisements

I am depressed.

We found out last week that one of the uses for the 100-year-old house we bought 3 years ago in a very rural community was that it was once owned by the local mortician. The biig beautiful bay window was the "viewing room" where bodies were laid out for folks to come by - inside and out. The hearse used to drive around back to the basement egress, and unload the bodies down the stairs and into the basement for embalming.

While we occasionally hear music playing, or whispered voices that are never in the same room, we have had no other 'visitations'.

Sigh. My 'house of death' is a happy house.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-23-2011, 03:59 PM

215 posts, read 305,043 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SCGranny View Post
I am depressed.

We found out last week that one of the uses for the 100-year-old house we bought 3 years ago in a very rural community was that it was once owned by the local mortician. The biig beautiful bay window was the "viewing room" where bodies were laid out for folks to come by - inside and out. The hearse used to drive around back to the basement egress, and unload the bodies down the stairs and into the basement for embalming.

While we occasionally hear music playing, or whispered voices that are never in the same room, we have had no other 'visitations'.

House of passing - they came in dead - all's good.

Some interesting and maybe famous people passed thu there.

Old 11-23-2011, 10:13 PM

624 posts, read 1,042,201 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SCGranny View Post
I am depressed.

Don't be afraid, like another poster said, no violent acts were committed there, the spirits are not malevolent. The things going on you mention, may give you a chill, but won't affect your mental state.

I can understand the depression, if you had not been forewarned about the house use prior to purchase.

Old 11-24-2011, 03:57 PM

4,178 posts, read 9,535,609 times
LOL - you misunderstand, Sunset_Va.

I am depressed because , for a 100-year-old house, there aren't more spirits!

I am used to having spirits around, and the previous owner of the house was deathly afraid of them. She burned sage bundles, had the house cleansed several times, and even had little guardian tokens on all of the window frames (which I found when I was cleaning)! She insisted that the house was haunted, that the spirits kept coming back, and was constantly on edge about it. This was a VERY rowdy area once upon a time - corn likker was made here so often that a traincar full of sugar was offloaded here every month - and there are stories...

Ah, well. They must like me... We did fix the place up and have done - and continue to do - a lot of work to it.

Old 11-25-2011, 11:04 PM

624 posts, read 1,042,201 times
Oh, SCGranny, thanks for setting me straight...

The previous owners that were trying to scare off the spirits were just not going with the flow what so ever...only thing they accomplished was raising their blood pressure.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Rural and Small Town Living