U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Rural and Small Town Living
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-07-2011, 03:50 AM

6,502 posts, read 5,591,402 times

Advertisements

I am presently watching my daughter and son in law's transition from urban to rural dwellers. It is exciting. They bought a renovated farm house on acreage in an undeveloped area. Their only neighbors are a pickle farm and a small veterinary hospital. They like coming home and being left alone, not having to see neighbors. They've had to restructure their grocery shopping (my daughter commutes to a nearby city and takes advantage of stocking up at the box and chain stores). They don't have the option of easily running out and picking up fast food - she keeps a well packed pantry and fridge and is becoming a really good cook. She loves taking long walks and exploring the country roads and seeing farms, woods, and fields. I visited last weekend, and we took a seven mile hike. They spend evenings sitting in front of their fire place. They don't even have cable TV.
She seems happier and more at peace than I've seen her in years.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-08-2011, 08:14 PM

2,497 posts, read 3,722,500 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mrs. Skeffington View Post
I am presently watching my daughter and son in law's transition from urban to rural dwellers. It is exciting. They bought a renovated farm house on acreage in an undeveloped area. Their only neighbors are a pickle farm and a small veterinary hospital. They like coming home and being left alone, not having to see neighbors. They've had to restructure their grocery shopping (my daughter commutes to a nearby city and takes advantage of stocking up at the box and chain stores). They don't have the option of easily running out and picking up fast food - she keeps a well packed pantry and fridge and is becoming a really good cook. She loves taking long walks and exploring the country roads and seeing farms, woods, and fields. I visited last weekend, and we took a seven mile hike. They spend evenings sitting in front of their fire place. They don't even have cable TV.
She seems happier and more at peace than I've seen her in years.
Wow, i hope there is a hospital nearby in case of a medical emergency.

Last edited by Percentage; 12-08-2011 at 09:16 PM..

Old 12-08-2011, 09:03 PM

40 posts, read 92,696 times
Do they have kids? I would love to move to an even more rural area than the small town we live in now. If it were only me I had to worry about, or me and a hubby, that would be fine. My teenagers would KILL me if I moved us any further out to the boonies.

Old 12-11-2011, 09:47 AM

133 posts, read 553,532 times
Travel around a region you would like to scout. Stay a few nights in a motel or bed and breakfast. Talk with as many people as possible. Walk the commercial district. Go to church. Get a haircut or shop for groceries. If you still like the community, it's a winner!

Old 12-16-2011, 04:06 AM

6,502 posts, read 5,591,402 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Percentage View Post
Wow, i hope there is a hospital nearby in case of a medical emergency.
Yes, there's a medical center, about 10 miles away. Or I guess the vet could fill in!

Old 12-16-2011, 04:24 AM

27 posts, read 27,918 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ISTJ Vortex View Post
Yes. Not tried it in a remote place, but was happy with it in the big city.

I have a chronic medical condition that needs daily medicine. I supposed every 3 months would be required.

Then your best bet is to work on getting referrals to good rural clinics that treat your medical condition and take your insurance.

Go talk to them and check them out.
If you like them, ask the receptionist where you can rent a room for a few days and then check out the town.

None of the rest of it really matters.
There is always someone who is willing to do whatever work you need done, usually for cheaper than hiring it done in the city.

We live 1/2 hour out of Reno. Small town, house within electric motor cart distance of a small grocery, mcdeath and a bank. Everything else needs to be done in Reno once a month. We love it.
Been here 3 or 4 years, my husband knows everyone and everyone says hello to him and other small town stuff. I still don't even know who the neighbors are, as I am not a social person. Doesn't matter, we each get what we want out of the town. Me privacy, him small town friendliness.

So, find yourself a good doctor and clinic first, then check out what is available around him/her/it. Spend a few days renting a room (someone always has one if it's a small town) and the doctors receptionist knows who it is.

Then when you can get out and "feel" it, make your decision.

Old 12-19-2011, 04:48 PM

1,830 posts, read 2,663,406 times
I restored an 1886 farmhouse in 2005 expecting to be here summers and it broke my heart to leave so after 2 years I moved here full time and I have never been happier and more at peace. For me it's a lifelong dream come true! Good luck!

Old 12-21-2011, 05:31 PM

63 posts, read 115,814 times
Thank you to all who have contributed. Some interesting things to consider as well as things to watch out for.

What I haven't really thought about however but will have to, as its connected to my question, is which state or region I should be looking at as possible places to move to.
I was not born or raised in the USA and I arrived a few years ago.
Therefore, every state is as new/strange/unknown and unconnected to me as everywhere else.
I need to find the right type of place that suits me. I feel that I need to connect with a place that I can call home until the end of my days.

The reason for this is that I have not had any long term stable home for more than 20 years and I have lived with moving boxes, various bags of stuff, unpacked things in the houses/apartments where I've lived, as well as not feeling able to start any hobbies/projects/interests (i.e. start living my life as I really want) and so I have lived with a general unsettled atmosphere for far too long.
I want to essentially, find a place where I feel I belong to and can call home and not have to even consider ever moving again.

I know myself quite well and I have a list of preferences/likes/dislikes, although I am unclear how many of those are fully set in stone and could not be negotiable. Or evern how important some things would be once I was in situ in my new place.

I have spent some time reading about various states and trying to get a feel for those that I think sound interesting.
Unfortunately, I cannot afford to travel around and just pick a place here and there in a pot luck type of way, as I just don't have the money or the time.
I need something a bit more targeted before doing any travel.
If there was some list of each state's "personality" and some main aspects of the state, this would be a tremendous help to me in narrowing down my search.

I know I don't want very hot, very cold or gloomy/overcast weather, nor do I want featureless landscapes.
I think I am somewhat conservative in my outlook, but am quite independent and individualist and I don't join or go along with things just cause others do. I must examine things for myself and if necessary, I will be the one to point at the emperor's new clothes.

If anyone can offer me some ideas/suggestions on how to find where I might belong, I would be very thankful.

Old 12-22-2011, 09:47 AM

6 posts, read 7,915 times
SCGranny is right by the questions she posed. I don't think she expected that you would have the answers to all of them, but questions you need to be prepared to find out on your journey as whether this is a compatible lifestyle.

I sense your need to somewhat "go off the grid" which I think is becoming more and more common in an age with government interference with our lives and the feeling of loosing control over our own destiny's.

For me, I grew up in rural SW MN and so the never ending silence was something that was normal for me. That and the sounds of farm equipment in the fields, or animals off in the distance domestic or wild. As a young girl, I had grand visions of how exciting life must be in the city. When I finished h.s., I did just that- moved to a big city. It had its times of excitement, but I quickly found how much I missed the sweet smells of country, looking up into the sky and seeing the stars, or watching a sunset off in the distance - not over a bunch of buildings.

Almost 8 yrs ago, I moved out to the country and quite frankly can't ever imagine moving back to the city. I do commute to work because I do have to pay the bills, so I am sort of living a double life in a way. I have plans in a few years to withdraw completely from the city life, but it will take a little more planning on my part before I can do that and survive.

My suggestion would be to try and move to the outskirts of whatever city you are currently living in. This will still give you access to things you know, but start to help you see some things that will be permanent changes in your life. Like, if you could find a house on a few acres perhaps. Grow a garden next Spring, try to do some of the home repairs yourself. I'm a single lady and I have to hire some things done- there just is no way around that. Maybe you can barter for some things, or maybe not. I think you realize you will have to become more self sufficient, and that there are trade offs.

The closest grocery store might be 15 or 30 minutes away depending on where you live. The post office might have irregular hours. Your internet service may not always be highly reliable. The roads may or may not be regularly maintained either winter or summer. Part of this is researching the area you want to live. If you are a warm weather person, snow plowing is irrelevant. If you are a cold weather person, be prepared to be held up a few days (or longer) in your home. You will learn to have certain things like a gas generator and extra fuel to hold you over in those situations.

It really isn't all bad. Do you know anyone you can go spend a few weeks even for a short vacation? Offer to help out if they have a farm perhaps. That would be one way to really get you immersed in the country culture. It might not mimic exactly what you have in mind, but it will get you much closer than where you are now.

Good luck to you!

Old 12-24-2011, 01:53 PM

Location: We_tside PNW (Columbia Gorge) / CO / SA TX / Thailand
23,509 posts, read 41,105,188 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ISTJ Vortex View Post
...which state or region I should be looking at as possible places to move to.
I was not born or raised in the USA

We need some more info:
Background / ethnicity? (feel free to remain anonymous if you are willing to be stuck in a hostile environment)
Budget !!!! rent of buy, ?
willing to work for lodging?
Do you need a job?, if so what career field?
How close to a city (airport, college, medical) do you want? (20 minutes or 6 hrs?)
Interests / hobbies: (Gardening or playing music (which Genre)
How close to shopping / local town? 5 minutes (biking) or 1 hr driving)

I know I don't want:
very hot, How hot is too hot? is dry heat OK (SW USA?)
very cold How cold is too cold? little snow ok? or NONE?, or 4 months worth?
or gloomy/overcast weather, What environment is your preference (ez growing of green stuff, or constant irrigating
nor do I want featureless landscapes.

I think I am somewhat conservative in my outlook, but am quite independent and individualist ...

off the top of my head...
If you can deal with summer humidity... Mtn of WV, TN (NE), W NC, North GA, (a bit racial biased, but generally cheaper than the following) or...

Northern / W Central Idaho, eastern OREGON, WASHINGTON, NW CA.(these three are VERY accepting of other cultures / independents.. NORTHERN ID can be rough on some (weather and survivalists).

A few parts of UT, CO, NM, AZ. NV (nice areas / people, BUT long term water issues)
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Rural and Small Town Living