U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Rural and Small Town Living
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-11-2012, 12:12 AM

5,325 posts, read 8,870,421 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by disneyrecords View Post
I live in a nice college town of 5200 in Western Minnesota. Life here is easy. Our community has an educated populace, an excellent hospital, some agribusiness, and a university. What we lack, however, is competitive shopping.

While many here on the forum decry the evils of big box retailing, our community overpays for groceries and clothing. Granted, the libertarian in me thinks that if I'm stupid to pay $4.75 a gallon for skim milk, so be it. In general, if the local grocery store wants to gouge me, I have no choice other than to travel an hour to the nearest community with more competition and retailing. My complaint is that our local retailers put pressure on the city leadership to keep competition out. That, I feel is wrong.

Having a protectorate economy doesn't seem to improve our downtown district. We've lost many of the mom and pop stores. Most everyone travels out of the county to the nearest shopping hub to "stock up."

We live without a Wal-Mart or large grocery store; are we any better off?
At what point are indepedent merchants taking advantage of their customers? Is it fair that merchants have enough clout to keep big box retailers out? By having Wal-Mart in your community, you don't even have to trade there to receive the effects of competition.
I miss the "flavor" of small towns and cities. I am not a big box fan at all and I'm more the old mom and pop small town feel - we've lost something in our communities - I guess the old mighty dollar ruled me out on that one.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-11-2012, 01:12 AM

8,733 posts, read 10,153,783 times
Can find everything you need in a Target. Including answers to life's biggest mysteries.

Old 03-11-2012, 03:18 AM

9,786 posts, read 11,271,488 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bette View Post
I miss the "flavor" of small towns and cities. I am not a big box fan at all and I'm more the old mom and pop small town feel - we've lost something in our communities - I guess the old mighty dollar ruled me out on that one.
Try living in a small town. See if you enjoy the "flavor" of paying twice as much when "mom and pop" have the only game in town.

Old 03-11-2012, 07:09 AM

4,100 posts, read 7,785,319 times
Big box stores have destroyed the identity and uniqueness of the Ameican experience. They should be discouraged and prevented from being built at every opportunity.

Old 03-11-2012, 07:13 AM

4,100 posts, read 7,785,319 times
In Athens GA Patterson Hood of the Drive By Truckers, Mike Mills of the late great REM, and other Athens musicicans have started a great movement in protest of a Wal Mart being built in downtown. There is a song on youtube, and it is great. More grass roots movements like this one are needed to stop this cookie cutter capitalist blandization of our American culture!

Old 03-11-2012, 01:17 PM

9,786 posts, read 11,271,488 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by loose cannon View Post
In Athens GA Patterson Hood of the Drive By Truckers, Mike Mills of the late great REM, and other Athens musicicans have started a great movement in protest of a Wal Mart being built in downtown. There is a song on youtube, and it is great. More grass roots movements like this one are needed to stop this cookie cutter capitalist blandization of our American culture!
This doesn't appear to be a small town to me not to c-d.

Population in July 2007: 85,116.

[LEFT]Males: 41,223 (48.4%)Females: 43,893 (51.6%)[/LEFT]

Read more: http://www.city-data.com/city/Athens...#ixzz1opfICfa7

County population in July 2009: 116,342 (91% urban, 9% rural)
County owner-occupied houses and condos: 16,716
Renter-occupied apartments: 22,990

% of renters here:
58%State:
55%

Land area: 121 sq. mi.
Water area: 0.5 sq. mi.
Population density: 963 people per square mile [LEFT][/LEFT]
(very high).

Read more: http://www.city-data.com/county/Clar...#ixzz1opeJIhln

Now here's my county, Park County, Wyoming. You city slickers think we're just a bunch of dumb hicks who need to be taught how to live. The nearest big city, Billings, Montana (100k) is over 120 miles from my place. The two biggest cities beyond that are Denver and Salt Lake; they're both about five hundred miles. But you think that decent shopping destroys our lives. Nobody here does. Walmart does a much better job for us than Mom and Pop ever did.

We're capitalists here and proud of it.

County population in July 2009: 27,976 (56% urban, 44% rural)
County owner-occupied houses and condos: 7,355
Renter-occupied apartments: 2,957

% of renters here:
29%State:
31%

Land area: 6942 sq. mi.
Water area: 26.1 sq. mi.
Population density: 4 people per square mile [LEFT][/LEFT]
(very low).

Read more: http://www.city-data.com/county/Park...#ixzz1opgROi00

Old 03-11-2012, 04:14 PM

5,044 posts, read 8,030,645 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Happy in Wyoming View Post
Try living in a small town. See if you enjoy the "flavor" of paying twice as much when "mom and pop" have the only game in town.
LOL - Happy in Wyoming is right. We lived 30 miles from the big box stores in Wyoming. The local family owned drug store, charming as it may have been, played a little bit of "gotcha" with it's prices I believe. While I know it's hard to compete with Wal-mart prices due to their volume purchasing power, $3.50for a bottle of Suave shampoo anyone?

Old 03-11-2012, 04:16 PM

5,044 posts, read 8,030,645 times
Sorry, I meant Montana! Wyoming is probably very similar, though.

Old 03-12-2012, 11:35 AM

2,878 posts, read 3,926,100 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by disneyrecords View Post
I live in a nice college town of 5200 in Western Minnesota. Life here is easy. Our community has an educated populace, an excellent hospital, some agribusiness, and a university. What we lack, however, is competitive shopping.

While many here on the forum decry the evils of big box retailing, our community overpays for groceries and clothing. Granted, the libertarian in me thinks that if I'm stupid to pay $4.75 a gallon for skim milk, so be it. In general, if the local grocery store wants to gouge me, I have no choice other than to travel an hour to the nearest community with more competition and retailing. My complaint is that our local retailers put pressure on the city leadership to keep competition out. That, I feel is wrong.

Having a protectorate economy doesn't seem to improve our downtown district. We've lost many of the mom and pop stores. Most everyone travels out of the county to the nearest shopping hub to "stock up."

We live without a Wal-Mart or large grocery store; are we any better off?
At what point are indepedent merchants taking advantage of their customers? Is it fair that merchants have enough clout to keep big box retailers out? By having Wal-Mart in your community, you don't even have to trade there to receive the effects of competition.
You are looking at this the wrong way.

The proper way to live life is to try and produce most of the things you need (you will soon find out that the effort involved in the production of many things you "need" makes them really not needed). The ones you can't, you can buy from or barter for with the locals. I am betting that there are farmers in your locale that would be willing to supply yopu with eggs, milk etc. for very reasonable prices if a) you got to know them, b) offered to help (and learn) and c) you had something to offer them (besides money).

Majority of the problems in this country come from the assumption that we are incapable of surviving on our own and that we will somehow "need" products made by others and offered to us at ridiculous profits.

For example, you can buy flour in your locla shop. It may be a bit more expensive than Walmart's flour. But, from one bag of it, you can make so many breads and ultimately save by a) not buying the corn-syrup laden crap bread sold in box stores (this is for your health) and b) producing a bread that cost 50 cents when you could have paid $3.99 for it in the store... Just one example.

My $.02

Old 03-12-2012, 11:40 AM

2,878 posts, read 3,926,100 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Happy in Wyoming View Post
This doesn't appear to be a small town to me not to c-d.

Population in July 2007: 85,116.

[LEFT]Males: 41,223 (48.4%)Females: 43,893 (51.6%)[/LEFT]

Read more: http://www.city-data.com/city/Athens...#ixzz1opfICfa7

County population in July 2009: 116,342 (91% urban, 9% rural)
County owner-occupied houses and condos: 16,716
Renter-occupied apartments: 22,990

% of renters here:
58%State:
55%

Land area: 121 sq. mi.
Water area: 0.5 sq. mi.
Population density: 963 people per square mile [LEFT][/LEFT]
(very high).

Read more: http://www.city-data.com/county/Clar...#ixzz1opeJIhln

Now here's my county, Park County, Wyoming. You city slickers think we're just a bunch of dumb hicks who need to be taught how to live. The nearest big city, Billings, Montana (100k) is over 120 miles from my place. The two biggest cities beyond that are Denver and Salt Lake; they're both about five hundred miles. But you think that decent shopping destroys our lives. Nobody here does. Walmart does a much better job for us than Mom and Pop ever did.

We're capitalists here and proud of it.

County population in July 2009: 27,976 (56% urban, 44% rural)
County owner-occupied houses and condos: 7,355
Renter-occupied apartments: 2,957

% of renters here:
29%State:
31%

Land area: 6942 sq. mi.
Water area: 26.1 sq. mi.
Population density: 4 people per square mile [LEFT][/LEFT]
(very low).

Read more: http://www.city-data.com/county/Park...#ixzz1opgROi00
You are clearly speaking from the point of view of someone who is lucky enough to own land and has money.

In my experience, in the global corporate food chain, competence has very little to do with compensation or capitalism or wealth. It is more of who you know or who your daddy knows or some form of befriending someone who has the means to help you out. I know, I worked alongside a lot of wealthy people.

In any case, I disagree, Walmart does not do such a great job for you nor does it do a great favor to this country and its citizens. Unfortunately, just like with anything else (privacy, Constitution...) we are sacrificing it for convenience.

OD
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Rural and Small Town Living