U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Rural and Small Town Living
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-12-2012, 11:43 AM

2,878 posts, read 3,926,633 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Happy in Wyoming View Post
Try living in a small town. See if you enjoy the "flavor" of paying twice as much when "mom and pop" have the only game in town.
How about doing something for yourself and making/producing something you need? Surely your ancestors survived without Walmart?

OD
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-17-2012, 12:32 PM

9,789 posts, read 11,274,071 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ognend View Post
How about doing something for yourself and making/producing something you need? Surely your ancestors survived without Walmart?

OD
OK. Right now I need aluminum foil, toilet paper, lemons, and marinated herring. Tell me, o wise one, how to make these items. Saying that I should do without is unsatisfactory.

I don't wish to lead the life of my ancestors.

Old 03-19-2012, 09:18 PM

Location: We_tside PNW (Columbia Gorge) / CO / SA TX / Thailand
23,500 posts, read 41,092,490 times
Quote:
OK. Right now I need aluminum foil, toilet paper, lemons, and marinated herring. Tell me, o wise one, how to make these items. Saying that I should do without is unsatisfactory.

I can readily think of several options that will adequately substitute for each of those, no Walmart needed

Those substitutes have been around from many decades, and most of us (rural folk) have 'used' them . Much more often than once

Old 03-19-2012, 09:24 PM

3,784 posts, read 7,044,227 times
Quote:

First time I heard someone "needs" marinated herring. I've never even heard very many people say they "want" marinated herring in this part of the country.

Old 03-20-2012, 04:50 PM

9,789 posts, read 11,274,071 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by StealthRabbit View Post
You can be assured if I was living in Cody, I would be doing my shopping @ 'The Merc'... That is my kind of store.
EDITORIAL: Merc model makes impact miles away
Rural Co-Ops: Saving Shopping Options : NPR
Light a store, save a town - Jul. 17, 2008
Quote:

Quote:
Originally Posted by StealthRabbit View Post
I can readily think of several options that will adequately substitute for each of those, no Walmart needed

Those substitutes have been around from many decades, and most of us (rural folk) have 'used' them . Much more often than once
I don't wish to have substitutes. As noted above you previously expressed your preference for a women's and children's clothing store over Walmart for groceries. Most of us rural folk buy more groceries than clothing. Powell does have an independent supermarket, and apart from "The Merc" which is rather seedy in appearance, a small but attractive downtown. The drug store even has a soda fountain.

I wonder how rural-folkish you are since you recently talked about "currying calves" on another thread. (You didn't write as if you were joking) People who live in rural areas do not desire to become actors in a living museum for the people who visit from the city and watch the quaint hicks curry their calves. We are not here for your amusement.

Out of curiosity, what are your substitutes for the items I mentioned, particularly toilet paper?

We love Walmart. I'm not so sure about transvestites.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Rural and Small Town Living