U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Rural and Small Town Living
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-07-2011, 11:03 AM

2 posts, read 2,026 times

Advertisements

Our latest comic is available here Find A Comic

[font=Calibri]Over here at Small Town Tom we’ve been trying to come up with a Christmas Comic. Frankly we are stumped. So we want to hear about your favorite small town Christmas experience to help us come up with a few ideas. It can be memorable, funny, or both. MOD CUT

Last edited by linicx; 12-11-2011 at 08:28 PM.. Reason: Advertising
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-07-2011, 12:08 PM

12,083 posts, read 34,589,709 times
Not too comic worthy, but our small town has Santa arrive by train (they stop the trains that day and just run the "Santa Train" to all the small towns in the area.) The towns Christmas tree is decorated with ornaments that the families in town have made with their family name on them. Every year when the tree is taken down, the city boxes up the ornaments and puts them in storage until it is time to decorate the tree the following year. When a new family moves in they are encouraged to make their family ornament for the tree. During the decorating party, the ornaments are laid out and a family member puts it on the town tree.

Kind of hokey, but very nice. It serves as a reminder that we ALL make up the town, and without the families in town it would be a pretty bland tree; like town would be bland without the interaction of each and every family in it.

Old 12-07-2011, 04:05 PM

3,784 posts, read 7,043,431 times
Our town had it's annual lighted horse drawn carriage / antique tractor parade where Santa arrived to kick off the season. Although maybe we aren't such a "small town" as we had a Brass Ensemble under the town Christmas Tree playing music for people who wanted to sing carols, while inside one of the stores there was a String Quartet providing entertainment (and yes, they were ALL official "real" string instruments. No Washtubs with mop handles & rope or anything like that.

Old 12-10-2011, 03:34 PM

5,876 posts, read 5,358,268 times
I have 2.

When I lived in a small town in West Texas, one evening near Christmastime we would all walk up to the top of the town hill at dusk. Just when it became dark and the stars came out, Santa Claus would arrive via the town fire engine. After we all had visited with Santa and had drunk our hot chocolate we then took turns viewing the stars through a huge telescope provided by the nearby observatory. So magical!

Where I live now Santa Claus walks around town during the annual Christmas festival. This year I was talking to the woman who paints animal faces on rocks. She saw Santa coming up behind me and said "Santa needs to gain some weight!" I turned around and saw that he WAS pretty skinny this year. Santa Claus replied, "Santa could barely afford this suit and it didn't come with padding!" We all laughed. No one in town has much money this year, so I guess we were lucky to get even skinny Santa!

Old 12-10-2011, 08:17 PM

16,791 posts, read 10,706,686 times
how about Santa trying to decide between Rudolph and a gps system?

Old 12-14-2011, 11:41 PM

4,780 posts, read 6,229,724 times
I was at a coastal small town Christmas parade this year. Santa rode in on a Counch Shell. I thought it look hysterical.

Old 12-17-2011, 05:24 PM

12,054 posts, read 20,516,535 times
Where we live now, apparently Santa doesn't know we exist. Where we used to live outside of Philly, on Christmas Eve, Santa rode down every street on the fire truck, stopping at several places on each block, and gave out candy canes to the children. The fire truck had a special Santa whistle so everyone knew that Santa had arrived before his long night delivering presents to all those good children! I miss that.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Rural and Small Town Living