U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Rural and Small Town Living
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-21-2012, 01:15 AM

2,759 posts, read 4,428,823 times

Advertisements

Well here's another "don't" then. Don't move to a small town thinking that all small towns are the same and that you know what everyone is like there. And don't move there with some kind of persecution complex like all the big mean rednecks are all out to get you.

Honestly, I live in a town of 4000 way out by itself in the middle of nowhere, in about the most blue-collar, gun-happy state you can imagine. And I know several places a vegan could eat happily. People here might think you're a little odd, but a lot of people here are odd. That's not what would keep you from making friends here, it's your attitude that would accomplish that.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-21-2012, 03:26 AM

475 posts, read 408,048 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by burgler09 View Post
Yeah, I guess in a big city there's a better chance that an arrogant elitist who is bothered by what other people eat could find friends. More people, but in the end, most people are probably going to be bothered with you actually caring about what they eat. Animal cruelty, you seriously have to be kidding me hahaha. What is it if a bear attacks a human?
I never said that i care of what people eat, you got it all wrong honey. I said that they dont care what they eat, meaning they arent into the healthy lifestyle or taking care of themselves and for them i would be a freak for not eating meat or dairy.

Old 01-21-2012, 06:56 AM

12,083 posts, read 34,582,236 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Marce30 View Post
I never said that i care of what people eat, you got it all wrong honey. I said that they dont care what they eat, meaning they arent into the healthy lifestyle or taking care of themselves and for them i would be a freak for not eating meat or dairy.
Small town people don't care what they eat, or a healthy lifestyle, or taking care of themselves? Are you insane? Really, are you totally insane, or just that narrow-minded that you believe every single negative stereotype you hear?

Someone from a small town in WV tells you something about that place and now you think it applies to EVERY small town across the entire US. LOL, I feel sorry for you and your rigidly held false beliefs.

Where do you think your vegan food comes from? Yep, small farming communities all across the US. Where do you think you can get the freshest fruits and veggies? Yep again, small towns where it is locally grown and bought directly from the farm or a local farmers market. Not that trucked in crap you buy in a supermarket, or higher priced "specialty" store. Yes most people eat meat in small towns, just the same as every large city I have been in... including LA. Small towns have vegans as well as hunters, get over yourself.

If you despise small towns so much, what are you doing trolling the "rural and Small Town Living" forum?

Old 01-21-2012, 11:08 AM

6,501 posts, read 5,588,143 times
Quote:
Huh?!? My daughter owns the health food store, where folks purchase chia seeds, black cherry juice, free range eggs. etc. By the way, she is also a vegan, and her store hosts a vegan club pot luck one Sunday a month. There are many vegans who belong, and many non-vegan customers who attend because they like to try the new foods. We also have an organic produce co-op here. This is in small town rural Pennsylvania.

She's altered some of my tried and true Pennsylvania Dutch recipes so that they are vegan, and healthier - a difficult task.

Old 01-21-2012, 11:13 AM

1,708 posts, read 5,516,022 times
Quote:
Im not religious and im vegan, do you think i would survive in a small town ? the answer is no. I hate all type of animal cruelty and a lot of people in small towns love to hunt (which i think its a horrible thing to do), they eat whatever, dont really care about being healthy. Just imagine if i go to a restaurant to have dinner, what would i order from the menu ? i'd have to survive eating salad for the rest of my life. In the city you have thousands of options, you cant even compare.
My neighbor (23 years old) told me that she moved here (Los Angeles) because West Virginia was too conservative and she hated the fact that if you dont go to church every sunday they would gossip about you the whole week.
Thank you for your off topic and unnecessary rant about your pathetic lifestyle choices. Please stay in LA.

OP. Great post!

Old 01-21-2012, 11:56 AM

1,355 posts, read 2,117,660 times
Quote:
I'm vegan and not religious and I live in a wonderful, very small mountain town in Idaho. People here put a lot of thought into healthy food and living. I don't remember the last time I saw an obese local. My brother and I made a rare trip to the city a few weeks ago and the thing that stood out the most to both of us, other than the light pollution, was the tremendous number of overweight people, especially kids. Kids here are outside year round. There are enough vegetarians and vegans that the pub has a separate cook station to avoid contamination. No one looks down on you for eating healthy, they want to swap recipes. People here might think you were a freak for being so closed minded and judgmental, since that is so unusual for them, but healthy living is just normal.

Edited to add: The fact is, even if we did think your views were a bit odd, you'd still be invited and welcomed to join gatherings and events, because that's what this community is about.

Last edited by tdna; 01-21-2012 at 01:15 PM..

Old 01-21-2012, 12:48 PM

5,876 posts, read 5,354,986 times
FTR, I lived in LA for 4 1/2 years, and it was the most unhealthy, unfriendly, awful place I've ever lived!

In a small town it's easy to reach out to people and to be active. In LA the air is so polluted and the ocean so full of trash and the whole environment so destroyed that it is impossible to be healthy. The entire time I lived there I felt sick. People in LA have to spend so much time in their cars just to get from one place to another that most people never walk anywhere, which is so unhealthy. In LA and other large cities many people never meet or see their own neighbors. Animal abuse in LA is epidemic - I get e-mails from a friend in LA who volunteers with the Echo Park Animal Alliance - she has shared several horror stories about things that have happened there. Those things can't happen in small towns, because people in small towns know their neighbors.

Each to his own, of course, but Marce, I think you must be very young and untravelled. I hope as you grow older you are able to take time to visit the rest of the United States, and enjoy stopping to visit the healthy, friendly folks who live in small towns.

Old 01-22-2012, 10:13 AM

133 posts, read 553,340 times
Each small town has its own flavor. My community is a college town and a strong agribusiness hub. Interesting dicotomy, but each side has grown to respect the other. The town wouldn't exist without food production, and the economy of the community would be choked without the college.

I'm sure you'll find small towns with more liberal leanings, artist colonies, etc. However, in Middle America wagging war on food production is destructive to the economy-- on the local and national level. I could get into a big political debate of why people in different areas migrate to different views, but I think it is very obvious people vote for what sustains their way of life. There's a good chance people in the Sierra Nevadas view politics differently than hog farmers and production workers in rural Illinois.

Moving to a small town is the greatest lesson in tolerance. You can't grandstand your views and disappear into obscurity. You quickly learn to keep your big mouth shut and prove yourself instead. "Put up or shut up." Does this mean you can't find a small town with a natural food co-op? Absolutely not! My community has one. It happened because there was enough like-minded people who identified a need. Whether you agree with that way of thinking or not, this group decided to "put up." I can definitely respect that. Brings me back to my earlier point, you can't snap your fingers and wish it in a small town, you have to find a way to make it happen.

Old 01-23-2012, 04:49 PM

77 posts, read 152,915 times
Quote:
In the city you have thousands of options, you cant even compare.
There are only a few cities in America where there are genuinely lots of different food choices and lets be clear that there aren't thousands of choices - more like 5-10 or so types.
Places like New York are the exception where you might get a few more choices.

Quote:
she hated the fact that if you dont go to church every sunday they would gossip about you the whole week.
I would let them just wonder and fascinate themselves over me and "what is he doing if he's not going to church"? (raised eyebrows, elbow shoves, suggestive looks)
Who knows, maybe someone might find me interesting and then next thing you know, they fighting amongst themselves for my attention.

Old 01-23-2012, 04:57 PM

77 posts, read 152,915 times
Quote:
I said that they dont care what they eat, meaning they arent into the healthy lifestyle or taking care of themselves and for them i would be a freak for not eating meat or dairy.
And you believe you know what taking of themselves amounts to?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Rural and Small Town Living