U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Rural and Small Town Living
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Reply Start New Thread
 
Old 10-21-2016, 05:34 PM
 
4,315 posts, read 2,667,743 times
Reputation: 7717

Advertisements

Berea Kentucky
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 12-17-2016, 03:22 AM
Status: "Very thankful." (set 8 days ago)
 
Location: The New England part of Ohio
18,995 posts, read 23,858,071 times
Reputation: 49973
Quote:
Originally Posted by LibOhio-Hiramite View Post
Hiram, Ohio. A pocket sanctuary among conservative Ohioans. Home to Hiram college, Most residents have ties to the college or the very liberal church that founded the college. Church goers are well educated and very musical, a breath of fresh air. The college must have a good arts program for how many musicians there are.

Good suggestion! Lovely town and the Disciples of Christ is another "Open and Affirming" denomination.

Other areas in Ohio that are rural and not conservative - or liberal are Yellow Springs, Oberlin and Gambier.

Pretty much any town in Vermont would qualify, as well as quite a few in the Pioneer Valley of Massachusetts
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 12-17-2016, 02:42 PM
 
21,581 posts, read 31,255,995 times
Reputation: 20347
In order to keep the thread going positively and open up for more suggestions I'll throw out a second for places like Boone NC and would add Midwest college towns like Grinnell IA, Bloomington IN, Lawrence KS, Northfield MN and Iowa City IA.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 12-17-2016, 04:43 PM
 
Location: The Woods
17,091 posts, read 22,607,566 times
Reputation: 9373
Quote:
Originally Posted by sheena12 View Post
Pretty much any town in Vermont would qualify, as well as quite a few in the Pioneer Valley of Massachusetts
Not in Essex County Vermont. Solid red county. Orleans and Caledonia Counties aren't very liberal either. More moderately conservative.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 12-17-2016, 06:33 PM
509
 
3,300 posts, read 4,252,482 times
Reputation: 4010
Just look at the results of the last election for President at the county level.

The problem with Liberal rural areas is that they are full of RICH people. So those areas tend to be expensive...and really unless your rich....your just trailer trash to them....unless you can keep the landscaping up or do house cleaning.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 12-17-2016, 10:19 PM
 
Location: Indianapolis
2,295 posts, read 2,193,543 times
Reputation: 3119
Quote:
Originally Posted by 509 View Post
The problem with Liberal rural areas is that they are full of RICH people. So those areas tend to be expensive...and really unless your rich....your just trailer trash to them....unless you can keep the landscaping up or do house cleaning.
Not at all true for Monroe County, Indiana (Bloomington and Indiana University). Monroe County has it's rich people (John Mellencamp is one of note), but there is a ton of undeveloped land and country areas where "not rich" people live. In fact, there are a lot of areas where nobody would know what your landscaping looks like.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 12-18-2016, 06:09 AM
 
Location: Pittsburgh
3,165 posts, read 2,916,016 times
Reputation: 2885
Quote:
Originally Posted by 509 View Post
Just look at the results of the last election for President at the county level.

The problem with Liberal rural areas is that they are full of RICH people. So those areas tend to be expensive...and really unless your rich....your just trailer trash to them....unless you can keep the landscaping up or do house cleaning.
So true. Small liberal towns are microcosms of the larger cities in the US. There is no such thing as an affordable liberal town.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 12-18-2016, 10:29 AM
 
4,315 posts, read 2,667,743 times
Reputation: 7717
Quote:
Originally Posted by kyle19125 View Post
In order to keep the thread going positively and open up for more suggestions I'll throw out a second for places like Boone NC and would add Midwest college towns like Grinnell IA, Bloomington IN, Lawrence KS, Northfield MN and Iowa City IA.
I'm guessing each one of those are college towns,also.


Maybe that is the key if one is seeking a more liberal town.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 12-18-2016, 10:32 AM
 
21,581 posts, read 31,255,995 times
Reputation: 20347
Quote:
Originally Posted by David A Stone View Post
I'm guessing each one of those are college towns,also.


Maybe that is the key if one is seeking a more liberal town.


Definitely.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 12-22-2016, 03:18 PM
 
Location: Columbia, MD
1,446 posts, read 2,039,007 times
Reputation: 2148
Quote:
Not in Essex County Vermont. Solid red county. Orleans and Caledonia Counties aren't very liberal either. More moderately conservative.
Someone who thinks that VT is some sort of liberal utopia has never traveled the state extensively, or visited the villages outside of the more popular tourist meccas. I'd even argue that Bennington and Rutland counties are moderately conservative for the most part as well.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Rural and Small Town Living
Similar Threads
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6.

© 2005-2019, Advameg, Inc. · Please obey Forum Rules · Terms of Use and Privacy Policy · Bug Bounty

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top