U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Rural and Small Town Living
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-14-2012, 12:26 PM

5,876 posts, read 5,358,268 times

Advertisements

Yes, we're disagreeing in our interpretation of the word "liberal".

I define the term completely in its social context, not in any economic context. For example, I define myself as a social liberal, but I am a fiscal conservative. So I have not been comfortable in places which have high taxation and public spending combined with a general intolerance towards a variety of types of people and belief systems.

Others will have a different point of view.

It all comes down to defining terms, doesn't it?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-14-2012, 01:24 PM

478 posts, read 1,712,831 times
Rural parts of OR and WA west of the Cascades

Western Mass

Parts of Maine

Most of Vermont

Old 02-17-2012, 10:30 AM

2,401 posts, read 4,023,060 times
Amish country.

US can still be & remain that way....

BUT you will have to vote, and vote well against that candidate that may take it all away with a "big" government!
Big government & tax = not "free" living (tied to pay whatever someone else dictates), NOT LIBERAL!!!

Old 02-17-2012, 05:39 PM

86,093 posts, read 73,640,738 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 601halfdozen0theother View Post
Yes, we're disagreeing in our interpretation of the word "liberal".

I define the term completely in its social context, not in any economic context. For example, I define myself as a social liberal, but I am a fiscal conservative. So I have not been comfortable in places which have high taxation and public spending combined with a general intolerance towards a variety of types of people and belief systems.

Others will have a different point of view.

It all comes down to defining terms, doesn't it?
Ah..that's me too. Fiscally conservative but socially liberal.
I'm having no problem living here in Texas in a rural town about 1/2 hour from College Station. It's live and let live as far as the people behave and the state is pretty fiscally conservative.

Old 02-19-2012, 11:21 AM

10,139 posts, read 23,660,953 times
If "liberal" means tolerant and accepting of other persons' life style choices, there are no more liberal places than farming country anywhere across the US. Farm families know hardship and accept the unconventional, far better than the limo and doorman set of NYC's upper east and west sides, or the academic enclaves of college towns.

If "liberal" means "progressive" in the Woodrow Wilson, "the state will do everything for you" . . . "let's pass another spending bill" sense, forget it. You won't find it among hard working rural people.

Old 02-22-2012, 11:00 AM

930 posts, read 1,665,782 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wilson513 View Post
If "liberal" means tolerant and accepting of other persons' life style choices, there are no more liberal places than farming country anywhere across the US. Farm families know hardship and accept the unconventional, far better than the limo and doorman set of NYC's upper east and west sides, or the academic enclaves of college towns.

If "liberal" means "progressive" in the Woodrow Wilson, "the state will do everything for you" . . . "let's pass another spending bill" sense, forget it. You won't find it among hard working rural people.
A fine post.

"Liberal" hasn't meant 'tolerant' in this country for about forty years, sad to say.

Old 02-22-2012, 12:05 PM

10,139 posts, read 23,660,953 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AJBarney View Post
A fine post.

"Liberal" hasn't meant 'tolerant' in this country for about forty years, sad to say.
Thanks! I am afraid that today "liberal" has taken an almost opposite meaning.

Old 02-22-2012, 12:11 PM

12,683 posts, read 17,014,033 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jeremybrooks772 View Post
Hey guys, we all know in the U.S. that the rural areas are generally quite conservative and urban areas being quite liberal. I am interested in knowing areas that fall out of place. What rural areas in the United States are liberal (socially, economically, or both)?
We certainly don't want you in west Texas. You wouldn't last six months on the High Plains anyway.

Old 02-22-2012, 12:17 PM

9,786 posts, read 11,271,488 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by High_Plains_Retired View Post
We certainly don't want you in west Texas. You wouldn't last six months on the High Plains anyway.

The same is true in Wyoming. People don't treat liberals as wise saviors so the liberals move. Good riddance.

Old 02-22-2012, 12:44 PM

12,683 posts, read 17,014,033 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Happy in Wyoming View Post
The same is true in Wyoming. People don't treat liberals as wise saviors so the liberals move. Good riddance.
Although not here in west Texas, I had a family member raped last night at gun point by these ACLU-protected low-lifes. I don't want any liberal pieces of trash living by me.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Rural and Small Town Living