U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Rural and Small Town Living
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-24-2012, 08:00 PM
nei nei won $500 in our forum's Most Engaging Poster Contest - Thirteenth Edition (Jan-Feb 2015). 

Over $104,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum and additional contests are planned

46,017 posts, read 42,954,543 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Happy in Wyoming View Post
Will you complain if the sign in my yard says, "I love Adolf Hitler?"
Nope. I would think very poorly of you, though.

Quote:
A local deputy sheriff here used to fly the Confederate flag in front of his home overlooking the highway to Yellowstone, his absolute right. But liberals harassed the sheriff to the point that the deputy voluntarily removed it.
It's a bit different it's a government official, even though yes, it is his absolute right. But a deputy sheriff is a government official who acts as an authority figure, and it's understandable that the public might not approve; it implies the local government is pro-confederate.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-24-2012, 10:25 PM

91 posts, read 77,344 times
Quote:
I live where I do because I can live among members of my race only.
Just curious, why do you value this? I want to hear your reasons. Personally I am shy about talking/interacting with minorities because I feel guilty about my own race's actions. The two places where I have lived (well my immediate neighborhood both times) have been almost all white, and I wouldn't want to live other places than I have just because I love San Francisco and my town in CT so much. I am Jewish (by ethnicity, I abandoned the religion) and prefer to live among my own kind. Personally I wish I could have darker skin like many Jews instead of looking American, so that people of other minorities in America don't misjudge me when they look at me.

Last edited by kleinberglowenstein; 02-24-2012 at 10:53 PM..

Old 02-25-2012, 12:41 AM

9,789 posts, read 11,274,071 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ckhthankgod View Post
I guess that I'm sticking to Cheyenne, Laramie or Casper if I ever go to Wyoming.
I'd make that Laramie (maybe) and Jackson.

Quote:
Originally Posted by nei View Post
Nope. I would think very poorly of you, though.
It's natural for people to think poorly of those with whom they disagree.

Quote:
Originally Posted by kleinberglowenstein View Post
Just curious, why do you value this? I want to hear your reasons.
I can sum it up in one word: comfort.

Old 02-25-2012, 05:34 AM

10,139 posts, read 23,662,734 times
Quote:
Just curious, why do you value this? I want to hear your reasons. Personally I am shy about talking/interacting with minorities because I feel guilty about my own race's actions. The two places where I have lived (well my immediate neighborhood both times) have been almost all white, and I wouldn't want to live other places than I have just because I love San Francisco and my town in CT so much. I am Jewish (by ethnicity, I abandoned the religion) and prefer to live among my own kind. Personally I wish I could have darker skin like many Jews instead of looking American, so that people of other minorities in America don't misjudge me when they look at me.
If you are referring to the Massacre of the Innocents, I understand and respect that guilt but pray for you to forgive your ancestors. I have.

If you are referring to white Americans fighting a war where 2% of the then US population (think 6,000,000 people today) died to free African slaves, then you have drunk the cool aid, bought into the propaganda and there is literally no hope for you unless you can re-learn everything you know about American history.

Old 02-25-2012, 06:32 AM
nei nei won $500 in our forum's Most Engaging Poster Contest - Thirteenth Edition (Jan-Feb 2015). 

Over $104,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum and additional contests are planned

Quote:
live where I do because I can live among members of my race only.
This is an absurd idea to me. I'm not one race, I think . Where would I choose to live?

Old 02-25-2012, 06:51 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nei View Post
This is an absurd idea to me. I'm not one race, I think . Where would I choose to live?

If you live in Pittsfield, MA, for example, you would be living in a nearly 100% whites only community where there are probably as many transgender people than black persons.

You might find a hispanic in the dishwashing area of a restaurant kitchen or clipping some hedges, and a black person on the back of a trash collection truck, but other than that, some people have chosen to live in exclusive enclaves for whites only. And, it seems they they are often the first to criticize a person who is honest about their choices.

Old 02-25-2012, 04:26 PM

14,810 posts, read 14,200,833 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 601halfdozen0theother View Post
Unfortunately, "conservative" now means people who are full of anger, ignorance and hate.
BS

"Conservative" means one who embraces traditional American values, something today's liberals vehemently hate.

Last edited by Cunucu Beach; 02-25-2012 at 04:49 PM..

Old 02-25-2012, 04:58 PM

91 posts, read 77,344 times
Is homophobia a traditional American value?

Old 02-25-2012, 08:19 PM

Quote:
You are going to have to do better than a false premise wrapped in a straw man argument to join this discussion. I suppose that this type of random stuff passes on DU or the Daily Kos.

Old 02-25-2012, 08:27 PM

Quote:
I thought the American value was more to pretend homosexuals don't exist rather than overt homophobia.

Know someone from a rural small town whose neighbors were two men who were housemates for decades. Never came out, but everyone knew.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Rural and Small Town Living