U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Rural and Small Town Living
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-25-2012, 08:33 PM

10,139 posts, read 23,666,323 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by nei View Post
I thought the American value was more to pretend homosexuals don't exist rather than overt homophobia.

Know someone from a rural small town whose neighbors were two men who were housemates for decades. Never came out, but everyone knew.

Of course, the fact that homosexuality is a sin and specifically proscribed by the the Bible, it happens that there are a lot of people who are reluctant to embrace what their religious beliefs classify as sinful perversion.

I tend to respect others' religious beliefs even when I don't agree. There are limits, of course, but it is understandable that many devout Christians are not willing to challenge the Bible.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-25-2012, 08:39 PM

9,789 posts, read 11,278,214 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nei View Post
Know someone from a rural small town whose neighbors were two men who were housemates for decades. Never came out, but everyone knew.
When I was a boy we had neighbors who were brother and sister. Would you assume that they were in an incestuous relationship?

Old 02-25-2012, 10:24 PM
nei nei won $500 in our forum's Most Engaging Poster Contest - Thirteenth Edition (Jan-Feb 2015). 

Over $104,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum and additional contests are planned

46,018 posts, read 42,959,184 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Happy in Wyoming View Post
When I was a boy we had neighbors who were brother and sister. Would you assume that they were in an incestuous relationship?
Umm no. But in the context of that particular situation it was obvious they were gay.

Old 02-26-2012, 12:24 AM

5,239 posts, read 6,873,155 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jeremybrooks772 View Post
Hey guys, we all know in the U.S. that the rural areas are generally quite conservative and urban areas being quite liberal. I am interested in knowing areas that fall out of place. What rural areas in the United States are liberal (socially, economically, or both)?
This discussion has sure gotten off track from the OP's original question. I agree that college towns are probably the best bet for a more liberal view point. Specifically, Maryville, In northern Missouri, seems to be pretty accepting of interracial relationships, based on my own experiences. Oddly enough the most long looks and stares we got were at the Omaha and Kansas City airports. I was a bit surprised by that as I didn't think people would pay any attention.

Old 02-26-2012, 01:14 AM

91 posts, read 77,350 times
I have a serious moral question: is it racist to want to live with your own kind for reasons of familiarity?

Old 02-26-2012, 02:15 AM

10,139 posts, read 23,666,323 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by todd00 View Post
This discussion has sure gotten off track from the OP's original question. I agree that college towns are probably the best bet for a more liberal view point. Specifically, Maryville, In northern Missouri, seems to be pretty accepting of interracial relationships, based on my own experiences. Oddly enough the most long looks and stares we got were at the Omaha and Kansas City airports. I was a bit surprised by that as I didn't think people would pay any attention.

Well, that is just silly. One is not likely to get "stared at" in any place with a substantial population of more than one race. And is that the test of "liberal" rural areas? Whether an interracial couple gets "stared at" in the airport? I'd suggest that it is you who needs to get back on track. And, unless the interraciality was Martian and Plutonian, you were imagining things. Kansas City (Mo or KS) are among the largest % black populations (30%) of any cities in the US other than the iconic locations like DC, Compton, Newark, etc. And college towns are not "rural" unless you count pot in the students dorm rooms as agriculture.

Old 02-26-2012, 07:50 AM

4,729 posts, read 8,738,903 times
I've lived in rural areas all over the US and found most of them to be socially liberal and fiscally conservative (most, but not all). Politically, I couldn't say whether they were predominantly Red or Blue... from what I witnessed it largely depended on the issue or election at hand.

But the thing about rural social liberalism, i.e. tolerance toward different lifestyles and beliefs, is that you can't go shoving yours in everyone else's face. If you're gay, that's fine, you can hold hands with your sweetie and live like any other couple; but don't grope each other in public or stage pride rallies and expect people to let it go... you aren't "special", you have to follow the same rules if you want the same respect. The same goes for whatever your faith or lack thereof... you can go to church 3 times a day every day if you want, or never set foot in one, just don't show up on someone else's doorstep trying to sell them your beliefs. For the most part, IME, rural folks might know your business but they don't mind it unless you make them.

Old 02-26-2012, 10:42 AM

23,605 posts, read 31,973,895 times
The most liberal small town (pop: abouit 2,400) I've ever run across is Eureka Springs, AR.

Old 02-26-2012, 10:49 AM

1,567 posts, read 2,117,578 times
northern CA, OR, and WA all have some hippy infested small towns up the coast. MT has a few as well.

Old 02-26-2012, 08:27 PM

19,682 posts, read 21,242,703 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kleinberglowenstein View Post
I have a serious moral question: is it racist to want to live with your own kind for reasons of familiarity?
Only if you're conservative.

Otherwise, okay.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Rural and Small Town Living