U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Rural and Small Town Living
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-27-2012, 02:29 PM

58,728 posts, read 83,319,857 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wilson513 View Post
Well, that is just silly. One is not likely to get "stared at" in any place with a substantial population of more than one race. And is that the test of "liberal" rural areas? Whether an interracial couple gets "stared at" in the airport? I'd suggest that it is you who needs to get back on track. And, unless the interraciality was Martian and Plutonian, you were imagining things. Kansas City (Mo or KS) are among the largest % black populations (30%) of any cities in the US other than the iconic locations like DC, Compton, Newark, etc. And college towns are not "rural" unless you count pot in the students dorm rooms as agriculture.
There are some rural college towns, at least in my area, where once you leave them, it is pretty much cows, farms, etc. Here are a couple that come to mind: Village of Hamilton - Welcome to Hamilton New York

Morrisville, New York - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

These communities may fit too: Homepage | SUNY Cobleskill

Aurora Arts and Merchants Association

Village of Alfred

Welcome to Delhi
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-28-2012, 09:47 AM

6,682 posts, read 4,366,315 times
Just look for rural areas in a state that is taxing its citizens to death and you should be OK.

Old 02-29-2012, 07:44 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cruzincat View Post
Just look for rural areas in a state that is taxing its citizens to death and you should be OK.
You mean that one aspect that goes into overall cost of living?

Old 02-29-2012, 10:42 AM

9,786 posts, read 11,271,488 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ckhthankgod View Post
You mean that one aspect that goes into overall cost of living?
No, that's not what the poster meant. Perhaps some others will have the patience to explain. Somehow I doubt that you were being ironic.

Old 02-29-2012, 11:33 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Happy in Wyoming View Post
No, that's not what the poster meant. Perhaps some others will have the patience to explain. Somehow I doubt that you were being ironic.
No, I did get it, but you may not have gotten my point.

Old 03-01-2012, 05:33 PM

91 posts, read 77,342 times
Just an observation, but I've noticed African Americans are often more open (sometimes too open) about their religion, and expect to be on the same page with all their friends about it. Many times black acquaintances who I had just met have asked me "Do you go to church?" or another question to that tune. As a non-practicing Ashkenazic Jew, that can be really awkward for me to answer. I sometimes feel like I have to lie about it by giving them an unclear response. But it's understandable because there are relatively so few African Americans compared to white Americans. Foreign visitors to a big city like NYC, Philadelphia, or Chicago or even parts of the South wouldn't realize that if they didn't know otherwise.

Old 03-01-2012, 05:41 PM

9,786 posts, read 11,271,488 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kleinberglowenstein View Post
Just an observation, but I've noticed African Americans are often more open (sometimes too open) about their religion, and expect to be on the same page with all their friends about it. Many times black acquaintances who I had just met have asked me "Do you go to church?" or another question to that tune. As a non-practicing Ashkenazic Jew, that can be really awkward for me to answer. I sometimes feel like I have to lie about it by giving them an unclear response. But it's understandable because there are relatively so few African Americans compared to white Americans. Foreign visitors to a big city like NYC, Philadelphia, or Chicago or even parts of the South wouldn't realize that if they didn't know otherwise.
Avoid them. Why would you care what they think?

Last edited by Happy in Wyoming; 03-01-2012 at 06:21 PM..

Old 03-02-2012, 01:15 AM

91 posts, read 77,342 times
Um, I have to deal with one of them at work every day...

Old 03-02-2012, 01:37 AM

10,234 posts, read 14,175,927 times
Wine countries areas in California.

Old 03-02-2012, 02:27 AM

29,038 posts, read 45,616,026 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wilson513 View Post
Of course, the fact that homosexuality is a sin and specifically proscribed by the the Bible, it happens that there are a lot of people who are reluctant to embrace what their religious beliefs classify as sinful perversion.

I tend to respect others' religious beliefs even when I don't agree. There are limits, of course, but it is understandable that many devout Christians are not willing to challenge the Bible.
Well maybe they should, because they've been misquoting a poor translation for centuries, and using these misquotes to condemn anyone they deem unworthy - while simultaneously ignoring or misunderstanding the "sins" they themselves are committing. But that's a discussion best left for the religion or P&OC board, I suppose... plenty of talk about this subject on those forums, if you really want to go there!

That being said, we have lots of "liberal rural towns" here in Calfornia. Any small town near the coast is a usually (not always) a safe bet! Arcata comes to mind, as do the towns in Mendocino county, and most of the towns in Monterey/Santa Cruz counties. And we really do live & let live here, in fact I don't even know the political or religious beliefs of most people I encounter - friends and acquaintances aside.

Last edited by gizmo980; 03-02-2012 at 02:39 AM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Rural and Small Town Living