U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Rural and Small Town Living
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-02-2012, 02:33 AM

29,038 posts, read 45,623,824 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by kleinberglowenstein View Post
I have a serious moral question: is it racist to want to live with your own kind for reasons of familiarity?
If you ONLY want to be surrounded by your "own kind" that's a bit odd in my opinion... your right and sometimes understandable, but just very limiting in terms of interacting with different types of people. Maybe it's because I grew up in the Bay Area, which is about as diverse as a place can get, but I love learning about new cultures! I've dated and been friends with people of nearly every background, and nothing but good experiences have come from these interactions. Live wherever or around whomever you like, just know that you could be missing out on some great folks.

I'm a non(semi)-practicing Ashkenazi Jew like you, and we're present but not exactly abundant around here. I do love being around "my people" at Temple, Jewish events, etc, but also enjoy living and working in two extremely diverse neighborhoods... gawd, life would be so boring if I were surrounded only by clones of myself 24/7. But to each his/her own, I suppose.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-02-2012, 02:48 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Happy in Wyoming View Post
Liberals have been trrying to stop all of the aforesaid for years because they hate my culture.
I live in a very liberal area, and nobody is harassed or suppressed for having conservative views... people say "Merry Christmas" for at least 5-6 weeks prior to the actual holiday (kinda overkill IMO), and even us Jews don't say a word about it. And what was with the gigantic Merry Christmas display at the mini-mall near my house? Why wasn't that ordered to be taken down by the evil liberals? All in your mind, all in your mind.

Quote:
But you won't allow my books in your library if you think they might offend current liberal thinking.
As a librarian, I have to call BS on this one too... even when I worked for a library in San Francisco we never withheld books for being conservative or "anti-liberal." It would take hours to explain a librarian's selection process, but we only make decisions based on specific criteria - in basic terms these include public demand, relevance, space, budget, reviews/sales, and individual patron requests. Personal beliefs don't generally come into play, or I wouldn't have ordered so many Ann Coulter and Rush Limbaugh books over the years.

Old 03-02-2012, 08:10 AM

10,139 posts, read 23,666,323 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gizmo980 View Post
Well maybe they should, because they've been misquoting a poor translation for centuries, and using these misquotes to condemn anyone they deem unworthy - while simultaneously ignoring or misunderstanding the "sins" they themselves are committing. But that's a discussion best left for the religion or P&OC board, I suppose... plenty of talk about this subject on those forums, if you really want to go there!
Not being a religious person myself, I should have expressed no personal opinion on homosexuality as a sin and did not mean to adopt this as my own opinion. I stand corrected.

But, if you think that there is misquoting of the Bible going on in order for religious persons to reach that view, I suggest that you really don't know anything about Christianity, or Islam for that matter. And, rural people are very forgiving and relatively tolerant of even sexual perversion. But they do get a clear message of its wrongfulness from the pulpit.

Of course, there are some frosted flakes protestants that accept homosexuality, but they are usually not to be found in rural areas.

Old 03-02-2012, 10:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wilson513 View Post
But, if you think that there is misquoting of the Bible going on in order for religious persons to reach that view, I suggest that you really don't know anything about Christianity, or Islam for that matter. And, rural people are very forgiving and relatively tolerant of even sexual perversion. But they do get a clear message of its wrongfulness from the pulpit.

Of course, there are some frosted flakes protestants that accept homosexuality, but they are usually not to be found in rural areas.
No, I would suggest they don't know much about the Bible - because I've read the whole thing in its original Hebrew, and nothing is said about homosexuality. They can believe whatever they want, but those of us who've read the actual words know they are making up that part (thanks to poor translations and/or interpretations). Perhaps you misunderstood my comment, because I never said they don't believe what they say is true.

P.S. I am only speaking of Christianity/Catholicism here, since I don't know enough about the Quran to comment on it.

Old 03-02-2012, 10:30 PM

Quote:
No, I would suggest they don't know much about the Bible - because I've read the whole thing in its original Hebrew, and nothing is said about homosexuality. They can believe whatever they want, but those of us who've read the actual words know they are making up that part (thanks to poor translations and/or interpretations). Perhaps you misunderstood my comment, because I never said they don't believe what they say is true.

P.S. I am only speaking of Christianity/Catholicism here, since I don't know enough about the Quran to comment on it.

My friends would laugh their arses off if they knew that I was defending the Biblical prohibition on homosexuality, since I am usually the least religious person in the room, but you don't have a clue. If you read the Bible and didn't get the message on that, I am happy for your blissful ignorance. For my part, I don't even care what the Bible says on the subject and even less about what you think it says. So I wish you well.

As far as the topic is concerned, rural folks don't much care to put their noses in others' bedrooms, but the nipple clips and leather chaps are likely to keep a guy from getting first class service in a country watering hole.

Old 03-03-2012, 02:05 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wilson513 View Post
My friends would laugh their arses off if they knew that I was defending the Biblical prohibition on homosexuality, since I am usually the least religious person in the room, but you don't have a clue. If you read the Bible and didn't get the message on that, I am happy for your blissful ignorance. For my part, I don't even care what the Bible says on the subject and even less about what you think it says. So I wish you well.
Regardless of your personal feelings - and no offense even though you didn't mind offending me - but you are the one who doesn't have a clue. And clearly you're missing what I truly said! I'm not talking about the English/translated Bible, I'm talking about the original Hebrew Bible, on which their translated versions are supposedly based. So unless you too have read the HEBREW Bible, please refrain from telling me what I do or do not know about this topic.

I don't care what they choose to believe, as that is their business alone... but to claim they're "only following the Bible" just makes me shake my head, especially since the word "homosexual" doesn't even exist in Hebrew.

Quote:
As far as the topic is concerned, rural folks don't much care to put their noses in others' bedrooms, but the nipple clips and leather chaps are likely to keep a guy from getting first class service in a country watering hole.
Since when do gay people wear nipple clips and leather chaps in public? I lived in San Francisco for five years, and only ever witnessed that kind of costume at Pride Parades - or maybe (rarely) in a gay night club on Castro Street. And if an evangelical Christian is hanging out in places like that, I'd wager they secretly wanted to see this stuff.

That being said, the more liberal rural towns wouldn't generally care... the town where I work is quite rural, and they'd probably look but refrain from reacting negatively. And as long as the person in question isn't exposed inappropriately (no shirt/pants), they have a right to receive equal service - a LEGAL right in this state, although laws might differ in other areas.

Last edited by gizmo980; 03-03-2012 at 02:27 AM..

Old 03-03-2012, 03:05 AM

6,502 posts, read 5,591,402 times
[quote=Wilson513;23235852]My friends would laugh their arses off if they knew that I was defending the Biblical prohibition on homosexuality, since I am usually the least religious person in the room, but you don't have a clue. If you read the Bible and didn't get the message on that, I am happy for your blissful ignorance. For my part, I don't even care what the Bible says on the subject and even less about what you think it says. So I wish you well.

As far as the topic is concerned, rural folks don't much care to put their noses in others' bedrooms, but the nipple clips and leather chaps are likely to keep a guy from getting first class service in a country watering hole.[/quote]

I see what you mean about people dressing "differently", (this has nothing to do with being gay). There are many bars in my small town, and a young male neighbor who lived next door would complain about some "non-locals" that would come there. Put together the "locals", working guys dressed in flannel shirts or t-shirts and work boots, and "non-locals" (usually college kids) wearing some "gangsta" type attire, and it was a recipe for friction. My neighbor would come home from more than a few bar fights, instigated by as little as some guy wearing his hat backwards and his pants hanging down. I like to get up very early, and I'd be watching the sun come up from my porch when he'd get home from a night out. I'd give him coffee and an ice pack (and a motherly lecture).

Old 03-03-2012, 07:03 AM

Quote:
Regardless of your personal feelings - and no offense even though you didn't mind offending me - but you are the one who doesn't have a clue. And clearly you're missing what I truly said! I'm not talking about the English/translated Bible, I'm talking about the original Hebrew Bible, on which their translated versions are supposedly based. So unless you too have read the HEBREW Bible, please refrain from telling me what I do or do not know about this topic.
Oh, yea now I get it. You had better let the Pope know. Maybe you should forward your thread to the Vatican. THIS JUST IN - "Gizmo says gay is a go"

Old 03-03-2012, 07:47 AM

35,094 posts, read 34,285,376 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sheena12 View Post
Ashville NC and the surrounding areas. Also, might be a bit hard to believe, but parts of West Va.
Come on. Asheville isn't rural.

Old 03-03-2012, 10:18 AM

133 posts, read 553,532 times
I'd like to raise the following point: just because an area has a large amount of Democratic-leaning voters does not necessarily make it liberal. Some previously mentioned areas are Democratic-leaning due to the presence of union represented labor.

Regions like Ashville, NC, the Allegheny Mountains in PA, Rust Belt areas of Ohio, Illinois, Indiana, etc are definitely not liberal in values. They are very conservative on social issue but vote for their paycheck. Can't blame them; we self preserve first. Due to this fact, the Midwest is considered battleground territory for elections.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Rural and Small Town Living