U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Rural and Small Town Living
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-07-2012, 02:46 AM

28,400 posts, read 48,166,922 times

Advertisements

MAYSVILLE, Ga (CBS Atlanta) – An area farmer is lucky to be alive after living through an attack by one of his 900-pound cows.

“I thought she would kill me before she’d leave me alone,” Parks said to WXIA-TV.

The animal allegedly butted its head into Parks’ body, and subsequently broke several of his ribs. The cow also cut Parks’ forehead before throwing him into a barbed wire fence.

Yahoo! Local Beta News - Farmer Suffers Attack From Rabid Half-Ton Cow
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-07-2012, 06:17 AM

2,571 posts, read 2,610,799 times
Surprising how agile and aggressive cows can be.

Old 02-07-2012, 07:07 AM

4,178 posts, read 9,538,452 times
Not really.

Some cows are just mean and intend to hurt any and everything that comes near them (they are culled quickly). Some are treated like pets and respond like pets. Some will attack if they think that their calf or their herd is threatened. The most mellow and docile cow we own, who cuddles up to us asking for a back scratch or licks our hands asking for alfalfa 'cookies', charged me in the pasture because we had locked her out while a local youngster was training her calf to the halter. Had my horse not stepped in, she would have mangled me with her head and hoofs in her "mama's rage". She didn't understand that no one was going to hurt her baby.

But this story wasn't about an agile and aggressive cow - it was about one infected with rabies, which can make any animal go mad. That had to have been pretty terrifying.

Old 02-07-2012, 10:33 AM

12,685 posts, read 17,015,833 times
Beyond walking under my bedroom swamp cooler in the middle of the night, this is one of the reasons a skunk around my place has a short life expectancy.

Old 02-07-2012, 01:42 PM

29,988 posts, read 37,775,668 times
Anyone who has worked around cattle knows how dangerous they can be, even when not infected with the rabies virus.

From the OP's link (bold mine):
Quote:
When he was able to get up Parks grabbed his shotgun and shot the cow three times before it went down.

It did not die however until a vet arrived on the scene several days later to euthanize it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by High_Plains_Retired View Post
Beyond walking under my bedroom swamp cooler in the middle of the night, this is one of the reasons a skunk around my place has a short life expectancy.
Exactly. Especially if they are in/near a pasture or feedlot frequented by livestock.

Old 02-07-2012, 05:59 PM

4,178 posts, read 9,538,452 times
Yeah, MOGal, that phrase about the cow lying there alive for three days got me, too.

Couldn't do that to one of my girls, rabid, mangled me, whatever. And the fact that she lay there with the rabies coursing thru her body the whole time - a potential feast for coyotes, skunks, or rats, or infecting anyone or anything who came along... good grief!

Old 02-07-2012, 06:37 PM

2,571 posts, read 2,610,799 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SCGranny View Post
Yeah, MOGal, that phrase about the cow lying there alive for three days got me, too.

Couldn't do that to one of my girls, rabid, mangled me, whatever. And the fact that she lay there with the rabies coursing thru her body the whole time - a potential feast for coyotes, skunks, or rats, or infecting anyone or anything who came along... good grief!
I was wondering about that, too. Not good. And, a vet in our area said the head needed to be removed and sent to be tested for rabies within "x" number of hours. Granted we aren't getting the whole story. Just curious. My vet could be wrong, too, I suppose.

BTW, after a lifetime with cattle (earlier post), I AM still surprised at how agile they are... and how quickly they can go from standstill to full bore. My daughter and son-in-laws bison can sure out maneuver them, though.

Old 02-26-2012, 09:49 AM

11,102 posts, read 13,356,530 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SCGranny View Post
Not really.

Some cows are just mean and intend to hurt any and everything that comes near them (they are culled quickly). Some are treated like pets and respond like pets. Some will attack if they think that their calf or their herd is threatened. The most mellow and docile cow we own, who cuddles up to us asking for a back scratch or licks our hands asking for alfalfa 'cookies', charged me in the pasture because we had locked her out while a local youngster was training her calf to the halter. Had my horse not stepped in, she would have mangled me with her head and hoofs in her "mama's rage". She didn't understand that no one was going to hurt her baby.

But this story wasn't about an agile and aggressive cow - it was about one infected with rabies, which can make any animal go mad. That had to have been pretty terrifying.
Quote:
Originally Posted by lifelongMOgal View Post
Anyone who has worked around cattle knows how dangerous they can be, even when not infected with the rabies virus.

From the OP's link (bold mine):

Exactly. Especially if they are in/near a pasture or feedlot frequented by livestock.
Cows without rabies will kill you if the make their mind up to do it...I've laid in cow crap under a truck before many times throughout while a young bull or momma cow destroyed the side of a pick up or locked myself in the doghouse of a bullrack while one rammed the gate with the sole intention of killing me.

ALL livestock can be super dangerous even if you know what you are doing and know the animal,but I can't imagine what a 1000lb cow with rabies could do to you if she caught you unaware.

Old 02-26-2012, 10:32 AM

3,826 posts, read 5,986,357 times
I'm disappointed, I thought this thread was going to be about Rosie O'Donnell.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Rural and Small Town Living