U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Rural and Small Town Living
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-16-2012, 01:45 AM

5,239 posts, read 6,873,155 times

Advertisements

As long as they keep delivering the mail to the rural areas, I don't really care if they close a few post offices around me. People in tiny communities have to go to the closest real town for groceries and many work in town anyway. I'm about 20 miles to a town of 5,000 people. They have several post offices closer in places with as few as 100 people. Unless they would stop delivery, it really doesn't pay to have these po's that serve so very few people. I'm surprised some have been kept open this long for as little business as they have. One place I know of built a new post office and the town has about 100 people. It's only about 10 or 12 miles to the place they would have to go to shop anyway. I always thought it was a ridiculous waste.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-16-2012, 08:37 AM

3,784 posts, read 7,045,715 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by todd00 View Post
As long as they keep delivering the mail to the rural areas, I don't really care if they close a few post offices around me. People in tiny communities have to go to the closest real town for groceries and many work in town anyway. I'm about 20 miles to a town of 5,000 people. They have several post offices closer in places with as few as 100 people. Unless they would stop delivery, it really doesn't pay to have these po's that serve so very few people. I'm surprised some have been kept open this long for as little business as they have. One place I know of built a new post office and the town has about 100 people. It's only about 10 or 12 miles to the place they would have to go to shop anyway. I always thought it was a ridiculous waste.
So, if they close those little post offices and the people have to drive that 10 or 12 miles to do their postal business, are the post offices going to have evening and weekend hours to accommodate them? That is when many of those people have the time to go get their groceries, etc. if there is nothing closer.

We are seeing this attitude from people in Toledo (not really a small town), where they are considering closing several neighborhood post offices. Some people are saying that the people in those neighborhoods can go to a different PO, they don't need the neighborhood ones. The people saying this say they use the internet and never go to a post office anyway. Well maybe they do, but many of those people are older citizens, who don't drive, (or can't afford the gas) and do not have a computer, or the knowledge to use one. That daily walk to the local post office provides them an opportunity to get out, get some fresh air, talk with people (and in the small towns, it is actually people who care), and have something to get up for each day.

It costs what, $5.00 to send an envelope through FedEx as compared to 45 cents through the USPS. And people say they switched to online bill paying because the cost of stamps went up. That is just an excuse to make them feel better. And I got a "letter" the other day that had 8.1 cents postage on it (bulk rate junk mail). I say raise the postage, especially on the advertising mailings. Cover some of those actual costs. Don't take things away from those who really need and depend on it to appease someone who says "I don't use that, so it isn't really needed."

Old 02-16-2012, 04:22 PM

2,572 posts, read 2,611,383 times
The post office that I used to get my mail from is going to be closed. I used to only pick up my mail once a week - sometimes less. Did that for years. The people living in that town are mostly elderly. Now they are planning on giving their keys to who even is going to the next town so they can get their mail. It's an inconvenience for them, but they will be fine. They'll work it out, just like they have with every curve life has thrown at them.

Old 02-16-2012, 04:49 PM

4,729 posts, read 8,738,903 times
The last we heard, they will not be closing either of the small post offices in the two villages near us (i.e. 30 minutes away). THANK GOD!!

There are a sum total of 3 employees, a post mistress at either office and a sub post master who covers both offices. There is no delivery service, we have to go in to get our mail and packages M-F 9a-4p (you can't even check your box when the PO is closed). UPS & FedEx don't deliver out here, so all shipments must be via USPS (even if the other carriers just dump it in the mail at the Anchorage or Fairbanks depot) or through private charter arrangement. Most folks aren't online out here because they don't have the money or power to hook up via satellite and dial-up is charged long-distance rates and spotty if they even have a landline available. The State subsidizes the additional expense of having bush planes fly our mail to us, so it's not all coming our of the USPS coffers.

If they closed our post office, the nearest one is 150 miles away in Fairbanks via gravel "highway" and we'd have no reasonably reliable way to get communications, transactions and deliveries in winter or when break up flooding and forest fires close the road... even delivery by plane can get spotty when the weather is really bad, plus there is a weight limit on the planes... if something doesn't fit that day, it just sits at the depot until it does (we're still getting Christmas packages that were mailed in November!).

Hopefully the decision to leave our post offices alone will hold through the next round of bidget cuts and eliminations.

Old 02-16-2012, 04:58 PM

7,242 posts, read 6,590,730 times
We dont even get mail delivery in my town,you have to rent a po box for 26$ a year.I live a block away. yet all the rural folks get free delivery to thier box no matter how far the carriers with 4x4 have to drive. Also most of the stuff I ship or recieve is illigal to ship usps so I use ups. who is running this failure anyway. They need someone with brains and common sense

Old 02-16-2012, 05:19 PM

48,516 posts, read 85,127,415 times
Its just the sign of USPS not being used aa much. My closest is 12 miles but I still can mail leteers ;get stamps at closer stores etc. I can even have a package picked up by postman.There are still postal boxes available at centers nearby also for those further out with no delivery. In rural areas here its becoming like i the 50's when all local poastal business is thru a private business who takes packages;sell stamps and has pickup for letters type postings.Actaully its not bulk mail losing the moenhy as reported to congress. Without bulk mailings the numbers would be far worse they report.

Old 02-16-2012, 05:44 PM

4,729 posts, read 8,738,903 times
One of the problems I see is the amount of market-share that USPS is losing to UPS/FedEx because those carriers make deals with distributors for moderately better pricing (for the shipper, not necessarily the customer) but the terms of those contract preclude using any other carriers. SO a supplier gets locked in to only using UPS and they can offer flat rates or free shipping incentives to draw in customers... well, as long as those customers are in the contiguous US at least. If the customer is in AK, HI or out of the country (say on active military duty!) they either get to eat horrendous shipping costs or have to find a supplier that can and will use the USPS.

I haven't run into anything that is illegal to ship through the USPS with proper documentation and process that is legal to obtain in the US. I've gotten firearms, ORM-D and HazMat by mail. So far the only issues I've run into are the size and weight limitations which bump an item from "mail" to "freight" which isn't offered by the USPS.

Old 02-19-2012, 11:46 AM

6,046 posts, read 21,868,792 times
I don't see what the fuss is about. I live in a rural area and I never go to the post office. When I need stamps (and I don't use many) I have these orange envelopes they give out at the post office...I stick a $9 check in it and the delivery person leaves me a book of stamps when he or she delivers the mail. It's rare for me to mail out a package. On the rare occasion I go to the post office, it's dead inside. I really don't see how the closings are going to affect towns except for the factor of nostalgia and unfortunately, the loss of some jobs, although I understand they are trying to transfer people rather than lay them off.

Old 02-19-2012, 01:36 PM

16,308 posts, read 25,273,417 times
The willful stupidity demonstrated by their management amounts to nothing more than sabotage.

Locally they want to close a mail sorting facility, which would mean no more 1 day in town delivery as all mail would be trucked to Greenville SC, sorted and trucked back which would equate to 2 day delivery at best.

Why? Because not enough people are using the mail, so let's encourage the rest to stop using it by replacing good service with crappy service.

If they were serious about doing something they would drop Saturday delivery NOW.

Old 02-19-2012, 05:44 PM

2,759 posts, read 4,430,746 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by christina0001 View Post
I don't see what the fuss is about. I live in a rural area and I never go to the post office. When I need stamps (and I don't use many) I have these orange envelopes they give out at the post office...I stick a $9 check in it and the delivery person leaves me a book of stamps when he or she delivers the mail. It's rare for me to mail out a package. On the rare occasion I go to the post office, it's dead inside. I really don't see how the closings are going to affect towns except for the factor of nostalgia and unfortunately, the loss of some jobs, although I understand they are trying to transfer people rather than lay them off.
I think the fuss is about people who do use their post office and are about to lose it. The post office here is the busiest building in town, aside from the grocery store and the schools. Most afternoons I have to park across the street because the lot is so packed, and the line at the counter often goes out the door. Heck, I've checked my box at 3am and not been the only person there. Of course, like many places in Alaska, we don't have home mail delivery, so we have to get all of our mail at the post office. And the selection in local stores is relatively small and expensive, and even the nearest Wal-Mart is over four hours in good weather, so we order a lot of stuff online. The post office is a social place, too. There are always people standing around catching up with friends, the bulletin board is full of all sorts of notices, local community groups hold bake sales there, and so on. We're not currently in any danger of losing our post office, but it would be a big loss if we did.

One good development I've seen is the idea of a Village Post Office, where postal services, including mailboxes, will be available through a private company (like a general store) or government building. That way the USPS can save overhead costs without communities losing services.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Rural and Small Town Living