U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Rural and Small Town Living
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-16-2012, 02:20 PM

2 posts, read 7,135 times

Advertisements

We currently live around 55 miles outside of Detroit. We live 8 miles out of town in the county seat of just less than 10,000 people. We have ten acres of former cornfield, chickens and a rural road in which motorists drive upwards of 70 mph on. We have lived here 20 years and couldn't name 3 neighbors. We are used to driving 20 miunutes in all directions to get anywhere. A new job in Columbus will take us away from the good and bad of our current residence.

We are interested in:
1. a similar smaller town less than 45 minutes to downtown Columbus. The commute to Detroit sometimes takes 2 hours!
2. some acreage but on a quieter cul de sac.
3. good schools since our noncollege aged children would be in 8th and 11th grades next year.
4. land that is not flat and tree-less; been there, done that!
5. space and acceptance of an outbuilding.

We know just about nothing about the Columbus area, except that we have vacationed twice around Logan. Any help would be appreciated. We'd like to narrow things down a bit before an Easter vacation trip to your area.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-17-2012, 07:12 AM

82 posts, read 242,871 times
You could check out NE of Columbus up towards Mt. Vernon and Knox county. Plenty of open land, the terrain starts to get hillier. I think you can get to Columbus in 45 mins. but not sure about downtown, you'd have to check that out on google maps or something.

Old 02-19-2012, 10:37 AM

10,139 posts, read 23,666,323 times
Assuming that you mean Columbus, Ohio as opposed to the other 15 Columbus towns and cities, I would post up on the Columbus board. Columbus is essentially a medium sized city in the middle of a big cornfield and everything around it is both rural and small town.

Old 02-19-2012, 01:41 PM

16,308 posts, read 25,273,417 times
^^^ this

I live near Columbus, NC, and it does fit the rural/small town theme of this thread.

Old 02-21-2012, 08:14 AM

6,981 posts, read 4,512,247 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Caddyshack View Post
You could check out NE of Columbus up towards Mt. Vernon and Knox county. Plenty of open land, the terrain starts to get hillier. I think you can get to Columbus in 45 mins. but not sure about downtown, you'd have to check that out on google maps or something.
I am sort of bias since I live in Knox county but this is a excellent choice. Getting closer to Columbus gets pricey and you are more in like a suburb instead of really out in the country. You did mention like a cul de sac with a little acreage so I would suggest Sunbury or Delaware. And price range for a nice house sitting on a 2 acre lot would be 200k and up, guessing? Both of those places I doubt you would be able to have chickens or other animals.

If you are interested in real country living choose Knox county if you want like a country burb choose the others. My sister has a house in Sunbury for sale PM me and I will send the listing if interested.

Old 02-21-2012, 06:51 PM

2 posts, read 7,135 times
Thank you guys. This was my first attempt at any kind of blog-thread-kind of thing. Frankly I thought I was on a Columbus Ohio/ rural and small town living area.

Old 02-21-2012, 10:55 PM

1,277 posts, read 4,193,256 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wilson513 View Post
Assuming that you mean Columbus, Ohio as opposed to the other 15 Columbus towns and cities, I would post up on the Columbus board. Columbus is essentially a medium sized city in the middle of a big cornfield and everything around it is both rural and small town.
Well considering Columbus Ohio has a metro of 1.8 million and a city population of 780,000 the likelihood is that the poster is talking about "that columbus".

And Columbus is technically a major city (roughly same sized metro as Austin/Indianapolis/Charlotte etc) This poster should have no problem finding rural as the city is surrounded by rural areas.

Yet, as others have said the exurbs creep into the rural areas, as many metros do, and thus prices will be more suburban in nature. Going further out or finding a true country home mixed into the exurban growth would be the way to go.

Old 02-25-2012, 08:52 PM

10,139 posts, read 23,666,323 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Snowball2plus5 View Post
Thank you guys. This was my first attempt at any kind of blog-thread-kind of thing. Frankly I thought I was on a Columbus Ohio/ rural and small town living area.
Well, you did OK. Got some suggestions. And, there is nothing but rural around Columbus, Ohio. Probably the same for Columbus GA, which is also a major city at 200,000 pop.

Still, I would suggest you post your question over on the Ohio/Columbus board.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Rural and Small Town Living