U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Rural and Small Town Living
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-22-2012, 11:00 AM

12,083 posts, read 34,596,801 times

Advertisements

When you hit the lower peninsula of Michigan I would like to make the suggestion of taking M22 along the West side of the State. It winds down through some rather pretty small towns and along the shore of Lake Michigan. Between Manistee and Ludington there is the Lake Michigan Recreational Area, Nordhouse Dunes Wilderness area, and the Ludington State Park. All have nice trails and beautiful views of Lake Michigan.

If you get a craving for some top-notch coffee while in the Leelanau Peninsula area to the west of Traverse City, there is a place in Glen Arbor called "Leelanau Coffee roasters" and they brew a wicked good cup of coffee there. They roast it in house and have a great selection... hint: "45th Parallel blend" or the "Lakers Blend."

Any questions if you are in this area (Manistee, Ludington, Baldwin) just ask.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-22-2012, 12:44 PM

8,629 posts, read 14,076,047 times
Traveling the Blue Roads has always been a favorite of mine ,for many years. Mostly its been in old cars, which makes the miles go by slower and you see so much more on local highways.One of the simpler and interesting trip was US 23 from Kingsport, TN. up to Columbus, Ohio. We had 25 cars on that one. Every little town had TV and radio out for us along with newspaper reporters. It was very quaint, and eye opening to travel the heart of the old coal mining country, lots of depression, but lots of friendly, generous people.It was a simple short route, but sometimes those stick in your mind more that a grand tour of the Rockies, which I have dome many in both the US and Canada...also Alaska, that was a long drive !

Old 02-22-2012, 02:56 PM

3,784 posts, read 7,045,715 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bydand View Post
When you hit the lower peninsula of Michigan I would like to make the suggestion of taking M22 along the West side of the State. It winds down through some rather pretty small towns and along the shore of Lake Michigan. Between Manistee and Ludington there is the Lake Michigan Recreational Area, Nordhouse Dunes Wilderness area, and the Ludington State Park. All have nice trails and beautiful views of Lake Michigan.

If you get a craving for some top-notch coffee while in the Leelanau Peninsula area to the west of Traverse City, there is a place in Glen Arbor called "Leelanau Coffee roasters" and they brew a wicked good cup of coffee there. They roast it in house and have a great selection... hint: "45th Parallel blend" or the "Lakers Blend."

Any questions if you are in this area (Manistee, Ludington, Baldwin) just ask.
I will agree that a trip along the Michigan Shoreline of Lake Michigan is well worth the time. We drove up there a couple of years ago and got to Ludington just as the S.S. Badger ferry was pulling in. It was fun to watch everything unload and spent a little time visiting with a couple of OTR truckers who were waiting to board for their normal trip across with their 18-wheeler. They said the 4 hour ride is about the same as the drive around through Chicago, but they don't have the nightmare traffic to fight. We hope to go up sometime and take the ferry across, just to say we did it. But the whole drive along the lake was very relaxing at that time. We did stop and check out some lighthouses and a maritime museum while we were there.

Old 02-22-2012, 04:11 PM

838 posts, read 1,045,438 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PNWdrifter View Post
People always talk about small town america. It's different depending on where you go. For some it's a small farm town. For others it's a ranching,logging, mining or coastal fishing village. well I plan on traveling across the country form Oregon to eventually South Carolina. I plan on passing east through through Idaho, Montana, Wyoming, South Dakota, Minnesota, Wisconsin, and the upper peninsula of Michigan and south through Michigan, Ohio and Kentucky then east through West Virginia and Virginia then south and east through North Carolina, Tennessee, Arkansas and Oklahoma and then south to the border of Texas and Mexico and east through Louisiana, Mississippi and Alabama and south to Florida before heading north to Georgia and finally South Carolina.

Along the way i'll be visiting several national forest and parks, the rocky mountains, yellowstone, the black hills, the badlands, the great plains, the great lakes, the Appalachian mountains, the ozark mountains, the atlantic ocean, the mississippi and missouri river, the everglades and the gulf coast. My question to you is what do you think of my plan and what are some places i should visit along the way. I don't plan on staying in any big cities or taking the interstate the whole way. I wanna take as many back roads as possible and stay the night and visit in as many small towns as possible. I don't wanna stay in any tourist traps and I don't wanna change any small town ways. As a matter of fact I can't stand the city.
While in South Dakota, you should stop at this tourist trap called Wall Drug - it is interesting for a tourist trap, very unique. oh Yeah, and while in Wyoming see Devils Peak - beautiful!

Old 02-22-2012, 09:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bluemonday View Post
While in South Dakota, you should stop at this tourist trap called Wall Drug - it is interesting for a tourist trap, very unique. oh Yeah, and while in Wyoming see Devils Peak - beautiful!
It's called Devils Tower. I was there when they filmed "encounters of the third kind". Lost my billfold on the base rocks when I was 14.... Yes, I know Devils Tower,........Wall Drug was a always a great stop, before it got so commercial. The Badlands is well worth the visit, the turn off is near Wall Drug.Been there many,many times

Old 02-22-2012, 11:09 PM

16,410 posts, read 26,684,240 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PNWdrifter View Post
do you know if michigan or wisconsin will let me buy a day pass for fishing? my buddies from wisconsin and whenever we talk fishing he always says that the walleye and northern pike is the best out there.

Yeah you can get day licenses for fishing at any supermarket here in Michigan!

If you get the chance, go to the Michigan Upper Penninsula or maybe Mackinac City/Island

Old 02-23-2012, 08:00 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by burgler09 View Post
Yeah you can get day licenses for fishing at any supermarket here in Michigan!

If you get the chance, go to the Michigan Upper Penninsula or maybe Mackinac City/Island
Only if you are looking to buy fudge ! Thats not the real UP. Look west, and you will see the OTHER Michigan.

Old 02-23-2012, 09:14 AM

883 posts, read 952,406 times
I'm jealous, OP! That sounds like a great trip! I agree that Western MI coast is a great drive. Lake Michigan sunsets are so pretty. I miss them. Holland is pretty cool too with the windmills and the dutch culture, although it is kind of touristy. Holland Michigan

Old 02-24-2012, 09:03 AM

1,610 posts, read 4,077,115 times
Try going along the eastern state line of West Va.,we did this from north to south in a small motor home staying in many of the state camp grounds.

Old 02-24-2012, 01:41 PM

7,854 posts, read 4,274,018 times
There are so many great little towns in America!
If you drive through Kentucky check out Midway, Versailles and Wilmore.
They are great!
If you go through Indiana Jasper and Ferdinand are pretty cool - Holland, Michigan is nice too -
and Ann Arbor is nice for a larger town.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Rural and Small Town Living