U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Rural and Small Town Living
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-02-2012, 01:12 AM

83 posts, read 136,247 times

Advertisements

I've read threads about their being virtually no young people in small towns and that any place with less than 50,000 people is nothing but, trailers, poverty some teenagers and middle aged and old people. Now I don't really buy this because I seriously doubt there is NO young people in small towns. Now when I say young people I mean between 18 and 30. I was just wondering because when I have enough money saved I plan on living in a small town where I can drive 30-50 minutes to a medium sized town (10,000-30,000 people) and I'm kinda hoping i'll have at least a few people around my age group to hang out with. I know the place I grew up had some young people but, I thought I would ask you people because your the ones who actually live in small towns not some big city person on the general US forum.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-02-2012, 03:54 AM

3,806 posts, read 5,278,557 times
In the sort of place you're describing you shouldn't have trouble finding some people your own age. You just might not be able to be choosy about friends in your age group.

Old 03-02-2012, 06:52 AM

2,570 posts, read 2,609,974 times
I heard that perception (no young adults in small towns) before. I haven't seen it true.

The small town has to be near jobs, but other than that... I'm thinking of my favorite small town of < 300 people. Several of the high schoolers left upon graduation, which is a good idea. Then after getting good work experience or college, they came back and are now living life and some raising families. I'm in a town of about 20,000 and the young adults are many. Two of my young relatives moved here and have a huge group of friends, both young and old, but definitely many other young adults.

Old 03-02-2012, 09:28 AM

58,728 posts, read 83,319,857 times
There are plenty of small towns/colleges that have colleges. In turn, you may find people of that age range not only attending college in those communities, but also working at those colleges. There are plenty of towns like that not too far from me.

I don't know where you got the idea of places with less than 50,000 people are like that. In fact, if you want a scaled down version of where you live now and that is under 50,000 people, look into Ithaca NY. I think you would like it a lot.
Downtown Ithaca NY - YouTube
It has around 30,000 people in the city and 100,000 in the county.

If you want something even smaller, you may these places: Clinton, New York: Historic Village of Clinton, NY Shopping & Entertainment Travel Guide
Clinton, New York: Chamber of Commerce: Clinton, NY Business - Event Listing: located in Oneida County: home to Hamilton College, NY, 13323, Central ny, Clark Mills, Franklin Springs, Deansboro, Oriskany Falls, Utica, Central New York, Mohawk Valley,

Village of Hamilton - Welcome to Hamilton New York
Village of Hamilton, NY, Official Government Website Village of Hamilton's Official Government Website

Village of Cazenovia
Cazenovia Chamber of Commerce

Small city of around 10,000: Experience Corning, NY
Corning Area Chamber of Commerce Home
Finger Lakes Wineries, Packages, Events & Visitor Info
Corning's Gaffer District - Corning, New York - Shopping - Entertainment - Museums - Food
City of Corning*

A very small community of about 600 people not too far from the previous community: http://www.hammondsport.com/
Hammondsport Chamber of Commerce

Owego Homepage
Historic Owego Marketplace - Have fun Shopping, Dining and Sightseeing in Owego, NY - Home

Watkins Glen - Finger Lakes NY
Watkins Glen and Schuyler County, NY - Our people places and events
Village of Watkins Glen

The Village of Sackets Harbor NY - Experience the Treasures!
VISIT THE 1000 ISLANDS » Sackets Harbor, NY
(Close to Watertown and Fort Drum as are the next communities)

Official Website: Alexandria Bay Chamber of Commerce, Thousand Islands NY
VISIT THE 1000 ISLANDS » Alexandria Bay, NY
Alexandria Bay, NY

Thousand Islands – Clayton Chamber of Commerce Online Vacation Planner for the Thousand Islands Region
VISIT THE 1000 ISLANDS » Clayton, NY
Town of Clayton, NY

Thousand Islands: Cape Vincent NY - Where Lake Ontario And the St. Lawrence River Meet in the 1000 Islands
VISIT THE 1000 ISLANDS » Cape Vincent, NY

Welcome again and again! | Visit Lake George
Lake George - Official Guide to Lake George NY: Hotels, Restaurants, Vacations & More at LakeGeorge.com
Lake George, New York Chamber of Commerce - Gateway to the Adirondacks

Ticonderoga Area Chamber of Commerce
Town of Ticonderoga

and many more.....

By the way, how small are we talking about for a small town?

Old 03-02-2012, 11:54 AM

24,683 posts, read 46,363,118 times
I was a young person in a small town. I moved to a town of 2,000 almost two years ago now, when I was 24, and there was hardly anyone my age. Most that were were either married, in steady relationships, or worked as farmers. It seemed that once they turned 18 most kids headed for the big smoke. Cities of 20,000, though, were a different story, I met many my age there. I think there definitely seem to be fewer young people in small towns nowadays compared to the past, as there are fewer people working on farms, fewer jobs out there, and more single people/unmarried people who want to have a 'lifestyle' instead of settling down with kids.

Old 03-02-2012, 01:45 PM

2,759 posts, read 4,430,008 times
It depends on the town. A small town with good jobs or a college or lots of outdoor sports is going to attract more young people and get more of those who grew up there to stay. Here, there seems to be a demographic gap from 18 to the early twenties, because most kids who don't get pregnant/married early go away to school or the military or jobs elsewhere, and there's nowhere to commute to from here. That's not a bad thing; it's good for them to go see what the real world is like. But there are good jobs here, and lots of outdoor activities, which attracts people in their mid-twenties to thirties. By that age some of them have families, but certainly not all. And a lot of people (especially the guys) who come here for winter sports tend to act a lot younger than their counterparts in your average suburb or city.

Old 03-02-2012, 01:53 PM

37,143 posts, read 43,070,821 times
Anecdotal:

I grew up on a farm, with the nearest town being a community of 7,000 in the midwestern prairie. It was the town in which I attended K-12 schooling. I moved away for college (closest university was 2 hours away, local community college was about 45 minutes away, but I went out of state), and then relocated to a large city after graduating and worked for a few years there. I had a job opportunity that brought me back to my hometown area (becoming the editor of the local family of newspapers), and at the time, I had a sick grandma, so I moved back to help my family with caretaking, since there was an appropriate job there for me (appropriate jobs for the college-educated are not abundant, there; the most common and plentiful jobs are CNA positions in nursing homes, farming, and factory work in agricultural processing plants or agricultural implment manufacturers...mostly minimum wage or near it). I lived there and worked as the local newspaper editor from the age of 24-30.

In my experience, there were a handful of people in my age group who had stayed from high school...never really left. There were very few in that age range who moved in from elsewhere...a couple of people here and there who were college-educated and starting out entry level in their careers in small markets (think business school grads getting their feet wet as loan officers in small branch banks, newly minted doctors starting out in small town hospitals...all people who didn't plan to put down roots, but just get started)...a few teachers who were new, again, not typically people who stayed more than a few years to get some job experience. There were hardly ANY college-educated, professionally-employed people, because there weren't that many jobs, and those that existed were mostly held by older people who had been in them for years. The entire time I lived there, there were very, very, very few similarly aged peers.

Communities of that size have little to attract a young adult demographic, particularly the college-educated. There are comparatively few employment opportunities, and the dating scene is slim pickings, because most of the younger people who are there are ones who were married young and started families young. I was there mostly because it was a good career opportunity, and because it allowed me to be close to my family at a time when that was necessary. It wasn't because it was an incredibly fulfilling and exciting place to be a young adult.

Old 03-02-2012, 04:22 PM

5,706 posts, read 8,231,940 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ckhthankgod View Post
There are plenty of small towns/colleges that have colleges. In turn, you may find people of that age range not only attending college in those communities, but also working at those colleges. There are plenty of towns like that not too far from me.

I don't know where you got the idea of places with less than 50,000 people are like that. In fact, if you want a scaled down version of where you live now and that is under 50,000 people, look into Ithaca NY. I think you would like it a lot.

If you want something even smaller, you may these places: Clinton, New York: Historic Village of Clinton, NY Shopping & Entertainment Travel Guide
Clinton, New York: Chamber of Commerce: Clinton, NY Business - Event Listing: located in Oneida County: home to Hamilton College, NY, 13323, Central ny, Clark Mills, Franklin Springs, Deansboro, Oriskany Falls, Utica, Central New York, Mohawk Valley,

Village of Hamilton, NY, Official Government Website Village of Hamilton's Official Government Website

Village of Cazenovia

Corning's Gaffer District - Corning, New York - Shopping - Entertainment - Museums - Food
City of Corning*

A very small community of about 600 people not too far from the previous community: http://www.hammondsport.com/

Owego Homepage
Historic Owego Marketplace - Have fun Shopping, Dining and Sightseeing in Owego, NY - Home

Village of Watkins Glen

Alexandria Bay, NY

Thousand Islands – Clayton Chamber of Commerce Online Vacation Planner for the Thousand Islands Region
Town of Clayton, NY

Thousand Islands: Cape Vincent NY - Where Lake Ontario And the St. Lawrence River Meet in the 1000 Islands

Lake George - Official Guide to Lake George NY: Hotels, Restaurants, Vacations & More at LakeGeorge.com

Town of Ticonderoga

and many more.....

Been to all the places you mentioned. I lived in Oswego and went to college there. Spent lots of time in Alex Bay. Upstate NY is a great place and has many neat towns.

Old 03-03-2012, 10:57 AM

9,967 posts, read 19,297,501 times
I'd say it all depends on the small town. In that age demographic, though, it is traditional for them to go out on their own for a bit. Either military, school, or in some European traditions, they take a world tour just to see what's out there. A lot of them come back after a few years, a lot of them never leave, it depends on the small town and how diversified their economy is and what their economy is based on.

If the small town has a diversified economy and some higher education opportunities, then more of that age demographic will remain in the town.

Old 03-05-2012, 12:25 AM

83 posts, read 136,247 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ckhthankgod View Post

Village of Cazenovia

City of Corning*

Owego Homepage

Village of Watkins Glen

Alexandria Bay, NY

Town of Clayton, NY

Town of Ticonderoga

and many more.....

I don't think places under 50k are like that at all. I was just repeating what other people had said. Also when I say small town i mean less than 10,000 preferable between 500 and 6,000
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Rural and Small Town Living