U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Rural and Small Town Living
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-10-2007, 10:29 AM

3 posts, read 14,146 times

Advertisements

When moving a tractor down any public road or highway.
1. Have the proper safety reflectors and lights.
2. DO NOT! Have anyone follow directly behind you in a vehicle. Even if they have their flashers on. This creates a more dangerous traffic situation than a lone tractor. Tractors have been using roads in Mo for many years. You want to keep traffic moving in a flow. Persons that do not feel safe without someone following them should not be driving the tractor.
3. No riders other than the operator.
4. When moving more than one tractor. Space your self out. Wait five minutes until after the first tractor has left and then leave.
5. When you can see behind you that you are backing up the traffic;find a place to pull over and let them by.
6. Stay on the road itself. Do not travel by driving on the shoulder of the road. Your tractor has a right to be on the roadway Yes you can pull onto the shoulder to let traffic by you without coming to a complete stop;If the shoulder is wide enough to do it safely.
7. Do not stand up and drive on any road or field.
8. The other guy is out to get you! Be sure you are watching the traffic behind and in front you as you cross a bridge,culvert etc. Anywhere the road gets narrow. People will race you to the narrow spot in the road.DON'T GET CAUGHT IN A SQUEEZE SPOT!
9. When following farm equipment do not assume they can see you behind them.

I saw two near accidents this weekend because someone was moving two small tractors with a pickup behind them with a trailer hooked to it;and a teenager standing on the narrow draw bar of the second tractor!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-10-2007, 06:47 PM

4,679 posts, read 10,956,948 times
Still Searching - some very good advice.

Would add for the first one to make sure that the lights are actually bright enough to be seen in daylight and are high enough on the tractor to be easier seen. Also, might add to have adequate mirrors so that the driver can better see all around 'em too.

lol - reading some of these items, like #3 - heck, there'd be 4 or so of us bouncing around on the wheel wells, hitch, etc. as my dad's uncle would putter us around the hay fields... hangin on for our dear young and stupid lives as he'd be in 6th gear high, devil to the wind, hitting every ridge row in the fields, bopping over some of the infamous Ozark rocks, as we kinda at times prayed to the gods that we'd be good ifin we'd make it to the barn or wagon w/ all of our skin and bones and blood intact... Damn,, good times...

Old 03-25-2015, 10:02 PM

1,510 posts, read 1,781,022 times
I rarely see anyone moving a tractor, combine, or any other type of equipment pull over to let people by. They should, but most won't, and if on a back road, they run in the middle of the road and never look back. The other thing they do is pull out on the highway and assume everyone will brake for them. Very dangerous and there are some bad wrecks. A woman was killed last year when a guy in a combine pulled out and be never stopped. He presumed traffic would yield. I once saw a 12 to 13 year old boy driving a combine on a major highway with at least 15 to 20 cars behind him.

Old 03-25-2015, 11:07 PM

950 posts, read 733,159 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Still Searching View Post
When moving a tractor down any public road or highway.
1. Have the proper safety reflectors and lights.
2. DO NOT! Have anyone follow directly behind you in a vehicle. Even if they have their flashers on. This creates a more dangerous traffic situation than a lone tractor. Tractors have been using roads in Mo for many years. You want to keep traffic moving in a flow. Persons that do not feel safe without someone following them should not be driving the tractor.
3. No riders other than the operator.
4. When moving more than one tractor. Space your self out. Wait five minutes until after the first tractor has left and then leave.
5. When you can see behind you that you are backing up the traffic;find a place to pull over and let them by.
6. Stay on the road itself. Do not travel by driving on the shoulder of the road. Your tractor has a right to be on the roadway Yes you can pull onto the shoulder to let traffic by you without coming to a complete stop;If the shoulder is wide enough to do it safely.
7. Do not stand up and drive on any road or field.
8. The other guy is out to get you! Be sure you are watching the traffic behind and in front you as you cross a bridge,culvert etc. Anywhere the road gets narrow. People will race you to the narrow spot in the road.DON'T GET CAUGHT IN A SQUEEZE SPOT!
9. When following farm equipment do not assume they can see you behind them.

I saw two near accidents this weekend because someone was moving two small tractors with a pickup behind them with a trailer hooked to it;and a teenager standing on the narrow draw bar of the second tractor!
(regarding #2)...........yes, if it is a newer tractor that has flashing lights on the cab high up. If it is an older tractor that has no cab or flashing lights I would prefer to see/have a truck close behind with flashers on.

One size does not fit all

Old 03-25-2015, 11:25 PM

Location: We_tside PNW (Columbia Gorge) / CO / SA TX / Thailand
23,544 posts, read 41,140,201 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rivertowntalk View Post
I rarely see anyone moving a tractor, combine, or any other type of equipment pull over to let people by. They should, but most won't, and if on a back road, they run in the middle of the road ....
Very dangerous to pull a tractor / combine over while in road gear. Inertia / momentum / top heavy / sloped road shoulder (or drop off) = ez to tip over. I have lost 3 friends in tractor 'road' accidents (all were on the tractor). Others are in pretty bad shape after hitting a tractor that was on the road. Not a good thing to do if it can be avoided. (mixing tractor (Large profile / SLOW / weight / TALL) and highway speed vehicles).

Life is fragile, handle with care.

Slow down!

Old 03-26-2015, 08:40 PM

1,510 posts, read 1,781,022 times
I never experienced that myself. I driven tractors on the road and never have had any problems slowing down and letting vehicles go by. If the road is that dangerous, shouldn't be going that fast in the tractor anyway. It is easy to move over. Most have weight in the tires. Agree that they definitely do not mix with vehicles on the highway.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Rural and Small Town Living