U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Rural and Small Town Living
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-17-2012, 10:23 AM

2,105 posts, read 2,786,600 times
We live on 40 acres that we bought for $16,000 (it was bare ground when we bought it).

*We're 3 hours from the metro area of Denver/CO Springs
*We're about an hour from one of two towns that have WalMart, McDonalds, etc.
*The climate is quite mild. We'll have a couple of weeks in the summer where it's scorching hot and a week, maybe two, of single digit temps (occasionally below zero, but not often). Otherwise it's fairly temperate.
*"Humid" is when it's over about 50%
*There are four community hospitals within a 40 mile radius of our house.

I like it here.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-17-2012, 11:04 AM

5,814 posts, read 14,332,941 times
I would suggest the area surrounding Bolivar, MO, although there are plenty of places in Missouri that would meet your criteria. It pretty well meets all of your criteria. It's beautiful around here. People are friendly. You will just need to be mindful of the internet service. Of course, satellite and wireless broadband are available just about everywhere but if you want cable or even DSL you'll have to check on that when you narrow things down. The more rural you get, the less likely either will be available.

1. Must be near lots of horse riding opportunities (national or state forests, BLM land, whatever...) - lots of opportunities in this area - and you will be in good company, a lot of folks in the area own horses
2. 5-8+ acres - readily available
3. Must be somewhat green - if I cannot graze two horses on it, I am fine supplementing all or portion of the feed, however, they should have at least something to graze as opposed to sitting in mud, red-dirt or sand. plenty of opportunities for places where you should have to supplement little or not at all
4. Mild climate year-round or if we can't have that: 4 distinct seasons (not looking for a place too hot most of the year or too cold or too much snow for too long) four distinct seasons, but the temps generally aren't what I consider severe. August can get hot/muggy and January can get bitter cold but the weather generally changes fast.
5. Climate, soil, water availability enough to grow a garden for 2-3 people (grow veggies and berries, at least) - again, readily available
6. Rural - you bet!

Bonuses (nice to have but not a deal breaker):
1. Medical facilities within 50 miles - Bolivar has a small but great hospital system in town, and Springfield is about 45 minutes away with two major hospital systems
2. Town of 5-15,000 within 30-45 minute drive
3. Large town/city within hour and a half to two hours drive - Bolivar has around 12,000 people; Springfield is 45 minutes away with around 160,000

If I will be buying a house with the lot, the budget is $200-$220K. Without a house, obviously much cheaper - you can get a great house on the acreage you want for that price, no problem

Old 03-18-2012, 03:55 AM

4,785 posts, read 3,671,516 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by itsMeFred View Post
*The climate is quite mild. We'll have a couple of weeks in the summer where it's scorching hot and a week, maybe two, of single digit temps (occasionally below zero, but not often). Otherwise it's fairly temperate.
This is the first livable area that anyone has described in this thread. It's certainly the only actually rural area in the thread where the temperature can hit 60 in January but not be a foetid, steaming hell in the summer.

Back somewhat over thirty years ago when Frank Wheeler of Colby, Kansas was alive that area used to be a hotbed of cartridge collecting.

I've been in the area a number of times; it's a nice place to live.

Old 03-18-2012, 07:10 AM

1,816 posts, read 1,662,697 times
Quote:
We live on 40 acres that we bought for $16,000 (it was bare ground when we bought it).

I like it here.
Thanks, sounds interesting, I will make sure I check it out.
OD

Old 03-19-2012, 04:23 PM

9,955 posts, read 13,539,889 times
Did anyone say what that area is, or did I miss it?

Old 03-19-2012, 05:22 PM

2,105 posts, read 2,786,600 times
Mine? I have it in the Location line, next to my user name.
Northwestern Kansas, southwestern Nebraska.

Old 03-19-2012, 05:47 PM

2,402 posts, read 1,848,375 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ognend View Post
Can't make you contribute but makes me wonder why the heck you are on this forum....

"Thanks"
OD
Its called respecting individual freedom...
they can free speech as they like... and hopefully the government have not taken that freedom too, or you for the matter of fact.

And if he/she is like me... I like to be "not shouting out" where I am happily at because of privacy (one do not want too many people moving there), safety (one do not want any people to "get ideas" on where one is to "rob" etc.), or it could very well be the SHTF scenario... areas to protect.

The more perfect a place one is at... sometimes the more one wants it "unknown" & be left alone.

Old 03-20-2012, 07:15 AM

1,816 posts, read 1,662,697 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hueyeats View Post
Its called respecting individual freedom...
they can free speech as they like... and hopefully the government have not taken that freedom too, or you for the matter of fact.

And if he/she is like me... I like to be "not shouting out" where I am happily at because of privacy (one do not want too many people moving there), safety (one do not want any people to "get ideas" on where one is to "rob" etc.), or it could very well be the SHTF scenario... areas to protect.

The more perfect a place one is at... sometimes the more one wants it "unknown" & be left alone.
Yes, (no need to involve government and freedom of speech). The question was to recommend a place or region, not to tell me it exists - I already know places like these exist. Duh

OD

Old 03-20-2012, 10:34 AM

18,702 posts, read 15,315,251 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ognend View Post
Yes, (no need to involve government and freedom of speech). The question was to recommend a place or region, not to tell me it exists - I already know places like these exist. Duh

OD
As previously pointed out to you, my general location is clearly visible every time I post. It doesn't take a brain surgeon to figure it out and my specific location within that region wouldn't necessarily be useful. There are a lot of commonalities throughout the region and precise location that's desired is a very individual thing as the region encompasses parts of three contiguous states and for all that they share topographically they differ in terms of tax burdens, governance, weather patterns and society. That's where each one must do their own research and make their individual choices.

Snarky or dismissive comments add nothing to the discourse.

Old 03-20-2012, 05:28 PM

10,790 posts, read 17,551,869 times
Quote:
Mine? I have it in the Location line, next to my user name.
Northwestern Kansas, southwestern Nebraska.
I hope you missed this one! (great pic of Heartstrong Fire)
Residents on Colorado plains assessing fire damage - seattlepi.com (http://www.seattlepi.com/news/article/Residents-on-Colorado-plains-assessing-fire-damage-3420473.php - broken link)

I had many a Hot Beef dinner at the Farmer's Cafe in Wray, CO and frequented the rest of the area. Dad spent the depression in Haxtun.

Benkelman, Imperial, Haigler... have relatives and friends all over the region.

Prairie born and bred... I miss it, especially the moon glistening snow on moonlit nights, but.... Looking for that perfect place and it never seems to be ONE place, For today it will have to be here (nearly the polar opposite). Pacific Rain Forest (120" rain / yr) w/ 300' tall trees and 1000 ft elevation change and 4 climate zones between me and town. (3 miles).

"If they would cut some of these trees down, maybe we could see something!!" (so said a visiting kid from the prairie)

And Yes, there is MOSS hanging from my roof (that really freaks out my visitors from CO, NE, KS...)
columbia gorge national scenic area - Google Search
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Rural and Small Town Living