U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Rural and Small Town Living
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-07-2012, 01:51 PM

1,176 posts, read 2,797,918 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by North Beach Person View Post
What exactly are you asking?

Sheriff departments are going to vary, even within states. In my County the Sheriff is the primary law enforcement agency doing road patrol and investigation while also providing security at the Courthouse. The jail comes under a separate from the Sheriff Public Safety department. In the County where I work the Sheriff does Courthouse security, the County jail and process service but not traditional police duties such as road patrol or investigation.
As noted, exactly what a sheriff does-- how much power/responsibility they have-- can vary.

There are places, such as L.A., where the Sheriff covers a wide area, including many urban areas, but the Chief(s) of Police cover the major cities. You may see Sheriffs Department officers as you go through the City of Los Angeles, but mainly in unincorporated areas and a few smaller cities that don't have their own police departments. I think the CHP (Highway Patrol) has responsibility for traffic enforcement on state highways, such as the major freeways (remember CHIPs TV show?). The L.A. County Sheriff has been involved in a lot of controversies (scandals, some would say) lately. You may run across a case with multiple enforcement entities, from different jurisdictions, working together (as you will see on "Cops").
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-07-2012, 07:59 PM

1,062 posts, read 1,368,244 times
Sheriff Dept in the Poconos help very little! I was disgusted with the manor in which business was handled via the Sheriffs.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Rural and Small Town Living