Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Rural and Small Town Living
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-23-2012, 07:28 AM

3,223 posts, read 9,629,876 times

Advertisements

I looked at sheriffs of various counties and its hard to get much information on them via the web but I can see their photos and names. Do good sheriff's smile? How does a sheriff climb to their position? Is it from the people or something else? Is a sheriff of 200,000 population any different than a sheriff of 30,000 population? What do they typically do while on duty? Are they always on duty? I am asking because where I live its to populated with to many cops to notice these things. I intend to move to a rural area though and I'm in the stage of learning where to look and call home.

I notice some wear a suit and tie in their photo while others wear their uniform and badge.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-23-2012, 09:51 AM

1,708 posts, read 2,911,481 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dhanu86 View Post
I looked at sheriffs of various counties and its hard to get much information on them via the web but I can see their photos and names. Do good sheriff's smile? How does a sheriff climb to their position? Is it from the people or something else? Is a sheriff of 200,000 population any different than a sheriff of 30,000 population? What do they typically do while on duty? Are they always on duty? I am asking because where I live its to populated with to many cops to notice these things. I intend to move to a rural area though and I'm in the stage of learning where to look and call home.

I notice some wear a suit and tie in their photo while others wear their uniform and badge.
Many areas in New England have done away with Sheriffs and any form of county government. Its all up to the towns and their Chief of Police.

Old 03-24-2012, 10:41 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Morris Wanchuk View Post
Many areas in New England have done away with Sheriffs and any form of county government. Its all up to the towns and their Chief of Police.
In the newspaper I see "sheriff's sale" with homes and other things for sale but I never actually see the sheriff, I only see cops and several SUVs that say sheriff on it which is strange because one sheriff can't drive all those vehicles they must belong to a special department or have more capabilties. The photo of my county sheriff is a lady dressed like a secretary. There is also a large SWAT van for larger crime scenes. I think in nj troopers are the highway patrol which patrols the whole highway through several counties.

I think in more rural areas or out west they're more powerful. Our chief of police for my city is also a woman though she has lots of experience. All these government people make me wonder whose more powerful... judges, or mayors, or the coorporation which employs half the town, or a sheriff... In an area I plan to move the sheriff seems to be the man of the land.

Old 03-27-2012, 06:28 AM

1,344 posts, read 3,405,190 times
Sheriff is an elected position. They're the top law enforcement officer for a County.

They have a myriad of responsibilities and often rely on their Deputies to do the daily law enforcement activities (thus all the Sheriff vehicles). In many areas where day-to-day law enforcement and investigations are performed by local police, they do the duties of the County Court. This will be things like serving summons, prisoner management and transport, courtroom security, tax collection on properties (and if they're way overdue and aren't paying, that's when the Sheriff's office is given authority to sell the property to collect back taxes, thus the "Sheriff's Sale"), issuance of concealed carry permits (and background checks) and other County level duties.

Their roles vary greatly across Counties and States so if you're looking in a particular area, you'll need to dig a bit deeper.

Highway Patrol is another name for State Police.

Old 03-29-2012, 07:29 PM

12,858 posts, read 16,870,986 times
Seriously?

Old 03-30-2012, 03:35 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jim9251 View Post
Seriously?
Yea, where its still america and its an elected position.

Old 03-30-2012, 05:37 AM

3,648 posts, read 3,784,210 times
I don't judge a sheriff by whether s/he smiles or whether s/he wears the uniform or other professional clothing for their official photo.

I think modeling professional behavior and demonstrating a concern and appreciation of their community is more important. The sheriffs I've known were in law enforcement before being elected to the position. I'm sure they have many administrative duties I don't know about, but I like the ones that keep the staff trained on new techniques or improving their skills, focus on crime prevention, strengthen positive interaction with the general public, improve communication and the working relationship with surrounding counties... that sort of thing.

Old 03-31-2012, 06:02 AM

Sounds reasonable to me. I think u can sortov tell by the website or webpage of a county website. Even if it's an amateur looking website, if its filled with content and useful information that updated more than once a year I think that's a plus.

Old 04-02-2012, 06:18 AM

4,176 posts, read 10,687,536 times
Our sheriff doesn't have a webpage.
But everyone knows Rusty, and his two deputies.

Rusty is laid-back, comfortable in his own skin, and often comes down to the bar after a long day of hunting with friends.

This doesn't mean that you can speed, drive drunk, steal, abuse others, or break the law with impunity, or just because he knows you. He tolerates no crap. But pretty much everyone in the county is armed and handles things on their own, he and his deputies are rarely called out.

He got elected because when he ran, no one else wanted to compete with him... he was more qualified than anyone else, and everyone respects and likes him. With only 5,000 people in the county (the largest county by land mass in the state), it involves a lot less work than most sheriff's jobs!

Old 04-03-2012, 06:41 PM

45,375 posts, read 60,561,367 times
What exactly are you asking?

Sheriff departments are going to vary, even within states. In my County the Sheriff is the primary law enforcement agency doing road patrol and investigation while also providing security at the Courthouse. The jail comes under a separate from the Sheriff Public Safety department. In the County where I work the Sheriff does Courthouse security, the County jail and process service but not traditional police duties such as road patrol or investigation.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Rural and Small Town Living